Rodgers out for Pats game? Not so fast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
McCarthy Changes Tune: Door Open For Rodgers To Play | Total Packers

Obviously, Rodgers was cleared for the workout, today. McCarthy said earlier in the week he’d make a decision on Rodgers on Saturday. If the quarterback was unable to start testing today, he would have no chance of playing Sunday, based on McCarthy’s timetable.

The second step of the medical process — Rodgers shows no affects of the concussion the day after the cardiovascular workout — should ultimately determine whether he gets the green light.

One positive sign — Rodgers doesn’t appear to be showing any visible signs of the concussion.

“He looks good, would like to play. But once again, him and Dr. John Gray are working through this, and until he’s cleared medically, then it comes to me,” McCarthy said.

Matt Flynn, who’s taken all the practice reps with the No. 1 offense this week, would start if Rodgers can’t go.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have to start Rodgers no matter if he has studied film or not. What he can do with his legs and his deep ball is what really makes him the only option

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah that's good news concussion wise. I hope for his health he stays out another week though =\

Rodgers or Kitna for fantasy playoffs...hmmm =\

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers hasn't practiced or even study film? And they're still going to start him over Flynn despite having just gotten a concussion?

If that's true, then it doesn't sound like the coaching staff has any confidence in Flynn. I just don't want them to rush Rodgers back too quick.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really really hope for 2 things this week;

#1- Vikings play their hearts out for Lester Frazier as coach, and beat the Bears.
#2- Rodgers is allowed to rest his brain and he skips this game.

Beating NE isn't really that important, but it'd be nice to see Flynn beat them. Then we beat NY & Chicago and steal the #2 seed still. Can you imagine?

We edge the Eagles or Giants for the #2, both at 11-5, because we beat them head to head.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really really hope for 2 things this week;

#1- Vikings play their hearts out for Lester Frazier as coach, and beat the Bears.
#2- Rodgers is allowed to rest his brain and he skips this game.

Why? If AR isn't fully ready to play, he won't be medically cleared. It's that simple. If he's cleared, play him. There's no reason not to.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers plays this week, I really feel that the Packers medical staff is being reckless with his safety. We all remember Cutlers concussion against the Giants, that didn't look NEARLY as bad as Rodgers against the Lions. Rodgers was MESSED up after his head ricochetted off the turf, yet Cutler was held out the following week to make sure he was fully healthy. I'm afraid that the Packers think they must rush him back out there to save some glimmer of a playoff hope that we have, when truth be told, I don't care if we have Rodgers out there or not, I don't see us winning against the Patriots. If we had a fully healthy team and it was a Superbowl that was being played Sunday night I would be saying the same thing. I don't want to screw this guy up for the rest of his career/life because of a game. 2 Concussions in 2 months is scary, especially considering the severity of the last one.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do remember that the concussion was Rodgers fault. Even Mike Vick slides. This wasn't the superbowl or an important make or break game to get into the playoffs. He should have slid. I think he should rest this next game and come back against the Giants and Bears, the two teams we NEED to win. I think we can play with the Patriots even with Flynn. I don't think Flynn is that bad. Heck every other team can win with a backup or third string QB why can't we?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do remember that the concussion was Rodgers fault. Even Mike Vick slides. This wasn't the superbowl or an important make or break game to get into the playoffs. He should have slid. I think he should rest this next game and come back against the Giants and Bears, the two teams we NEED to win. I think we can play with the Patriots even with Flynn. I don't think Flynn is that bad. Heck every other team can win with a backup or third string QB why can't we?

Good post, that makes a lot of sense! :)

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If Rodgers plays this week, I really feel that the Packers medical staff is being reckless with his safety.

So what did you find during your neurological assessment of Rodgers this week?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So what did you find during your neurological assessment of Rodgers this week?

Rodgers can not be cleared to play by the Packer medical staff. There is a step 2. He must be cleared by an independent neurologist. Hope they send him to the Mayo clinic.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he clears, I guarantee you MM will let him play. AR will sweet talk the hell out of him. I can't see another game besides the Vikings games that AR wants to play in more than this game. He practically idolizes Tom Brady. Nothing better than going up against the person you look up to.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I know that he has to be medically cleared, and that's great. But in this circumstance I definitely think we should err on the side of caution. This guy is our franchise for the next 10 years. He took one hell of a shot last weekend and I don't see how every other player in the league who sustains a serious concussion like that sits for a week at least, yet our QB is ready to go the following week without missing a beat. Doesn't seem right. This is the same medical staff that let him go back in the freaking game last weekend on the VERY NEXT play after the concussion and take another sack?! Are you kidding me?? They even took an injury timeout to look at him. It was obvious to everyone at home watching that he just got knocked silly, why can't they see that?!

This medical staff seems to either be inept or getting orders from somewhere else (McCarthy) to look the other way for the sake of winning, I don't know. Either way it's f***ed.

I don't care if we lose this game, if it means making damn sure that our franchise QB is FULLY recovered and healthy.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but that's just silliness. My calculations give us no more than a 8% chance w/ Flynn.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying we can beat the Patriots at NE with Flynn is basically like a team coming into Lambeau during the mid 90s saying they can beat us with their backup QB. They're undefeated at home since 2006 under Tom Brady during regular season play.

If they found a way to win this game though, it could propel them to new heights as long as they don't get overconfident after one victory. We're playing Super Bowl caliber teams from here on out and have to go 7-0 if we want a Super Bowl, period. EDIT (Unless everything falls in place perfectly, then its 6-0 after the NE game).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This medical staff seems to either be inept or getting orders from somewhere else (McCarthy) to look the other way for the sake of winning, I don't know. Either way it's f***ed.

I don't care if we lose this game, if it means making damn sure that our franchise QB is FULLY recovered and healthy.

Those are pretty strong words...

I dont think for a MINUTE Mike tells the staff what to do

Ron Wolf would but not Mike

Ron told doctors to PASS Brett for his hip issue when they traded for Brett

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^ I don't know if that's what's going on or not, but if MM is not giving his staff orders then we need to look into the people that we have on the sidelines looking out for player safety, because they are not even close to doing a satisfactory job right now. When you have other players (Driver) telling Rodgers that he should sit this one out before our medical staff sits him, something is not right.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard today on the SVP show that conditions are suppose to be snowy in NE Sunday night. Anything can happen in a weather game. Lol, althought, the Patriots are probably the best cold weather team in the league, and it's not even a close second. Maybe Starks will show up?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Look, I know that he has to be medically cleared, and that's great. But in this circumstance I definitely think we should err on the side of caution. This guy is our franchise for the next 10 years. He took one hell of a shot last weekend and I don't see how every other player in the league who sustains a serious concussion like that sits for a week at least, yet our QB is ready to go the following week without missing a beat. Doesn't seem right. This is the same medical staff that let him go back in the freaking game last weekend on the VERY NEXT play after the concussion and take another sack?! Are you kidding me?? They even took an injury timeout to look at him. It was obvious to everyone at home watching that he just got knocked silly, why can't they see that?!

Dear 98Redbird,

For the second time I am going to point out a fact to you, the decision of whether Rodgers can play or not is out of the Packer medical staff's hands. If cleared by the Packer medical staff, the final decision rests with an independent doctor, I will say what I said before, hope they send him to the Mayo clinic

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear 98Redbird,

For the second time I am going to point out a fact to you, the decision of whether Rodgers can play or not is out of the Packer medical staff's hands. If cleared by the Packer medical staff, the final decision rests with an independent doctor, I will say what I said before, hope they send him to the Mayo clinic

Yeah, I know, I'm aware that he has to be cleared by an independent neurologist as the final "stage" of the evaluation. I guess I'm just displeased with how the situation was originally handled on Sunday in Detroit more than anything, and if he's cleared to play in the eleventh hour, I would like to see them err on the side of caution and let him get one more week of rest before pushing him out there and he starts taking shots to the head again.

Good article by the Green Bay Press Gazette stating that pushing him out there a week after the last concussion is tempting fate whether he is "medically cleared" or not. Article goes on to say that 1 week recovery time is definitely NOT sufficient time to heal.

Green Bay Packers news | Ignoring Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' multiple concussions is tempting fate | Green Bay Press-Gazette

I did see also that Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe (Formerly Packers beat writer who left GB I think after the first Vikes game this season) was saying that the Packers have known all week that Rodgers would not start Sunday night. So you've got to wonder if McCarthy is doing this all as a game or something to "fool" BB. Don't really see the point.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to read Bedard this week..... lost in the shuffle of our injuries and pathetic loss the the Lions.
This game could have been a great matchup.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent article in the Post-Gazette, thanks for posting it. Bottom line: nobody at this time knows what the proper treatment of a concussion should be. All of these players should be getting preseason functional MRI's and then another one after concussions occur. These MRIs are being done as a routine at brain injury centers around the country. It might give more objective results to the length of time brain injuries take to heal completely.

It may be that minor concussions can be returned to play quicker than we think--who knows?

I'm very worried for Rogers for the rest of the season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do they get mri's at preseason?

They do the testing for a baseline that is used on Rodgers now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online