Rodgers' Historic Season

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will not come as much surprise to the Packer faithful but Rodgers is on his way to not only having the best season any Packer QB has ever had, but maybe the greatest season any QB has had period. When you glace at his numbers over the first 7 games it is rather hard to believe he has come this far in a relatively short amount of time. This is only Rodgers' 4th season starting and the veteran QB has a staggering 20 TDs and more than 2,300 yards passing while only recording 3 INTs. These kind of numbers make him certainly an MVP candidate, if not the front runner for the award.

Rodgers is on pace for an incredible 46 TDs, 7 INTs, and 5,422 yards through the air (which would set the all-time mark for passing yards in a season). Favre’s best season with the Packers and probably the best year any Packer QB has had until now, came in ’95 when he threw 38 TDs and had almost 4,500 yards passing. Amazing stats for the gunslinger, but Rodgers is on pace to absolutely crush those numbers by seasons end. Not bad for a kid from Northern California who could not get on at a Division I school right out of High School.

Most would be happy with that, leaving old man Favre in the dust while collecting his first regular season MVP award. However, Rodgers might just be having the best season the NFL has ever seen. Tom Brady, the 3 time Super Bowl Champ and 2 time regular season MVP may have had the best season by a QB in 2007 when he threw a record 50 TDs, 8 INTs, while posting more than 4,800 yards passing. Albeit Rodgers is on pace for 4 fewer TDs, but 1 less INT, and an extra 600 yards passing would put Rodgers 2011 season in the conversation as the greatest of all-time. Of note is that both Favre and Brady took home the MVP award in their respective historic season.

Much has been made about Rodgers and the time he sat behind Favre, but waiting was nothing new to him. He had to wait to get on at a Division I school, he had to wait to be drafted, and yes he had to wait to become the main man in Green Bay. If Rodgers can keep his historic pace up he will not have to wait much longer for his first regular season MVP award and the distinction of being one of the all-time greats.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know eh, he should already have 15 rings, 32 MVP awards, and 783 INTs. He just isn't trying hard enough.

GigaPaladin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obv as a fan of the Pack I love Aaron, but the passing stats from this era are severely inflated. Decent to slightly above average QBs like Joe Flacco and Matt Cassell (two guys who some people would argue are mediocre) are putting up numbers that would have put them in MVP contention 15-20 years ago.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is becoming a more pass happy league, yes, but I believe that is because of the sheer quality of talent at the position. Aikman called this the golden age for QBs this week, I tend to agree with him.

Regardless, Brady's 2007 season is often said to be the best season by a QB, so comparing it with Rodgers' 2011 is fair at the very least.

GigaPaladin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron's the best in the business imo. I'm more of a believer in the era being the deciding factor with all due respect. Favre, who anyone who's unbiased can tell you, was a step below guys like Steve Young in the nineties put up like a 117 QB rating two years ago...when he was 15 years past his prime. If he is putting up 70% completion seasons and getting 110+ QB ratings guys like Steve Young would have JUCO like QB ratings and be throwing for like 5500 yards and 55 TDs tbh. Thats just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
V

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eras are a factor but I don't believe Young would have been putting up those types of numbers had he played today. I don't think he is as good as Brady/Manning/Rodgers honestly but I only got to watch him play at the end of his career.

sundown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forget about AR's numbers,just watch how he extends plays,how he reads defenses and how he puts the ball on his receivers
right where they want it with pin point accuracy time after time,incredible!

Members online

Latest posts