1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rodgers Free Plays

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by El Guapo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    It's been well-discussed how Rodgers has been playing games with defenses, using hard counts to get players offsides and catching 12 men on the field during substitutions. The recent article about Capers simplifying the defense has an important nugget in it that may help explain why Rodgers seems even better at it this season:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mplify-the-defense-b99591848z1-331183831.html
    So our own defense got quicker and that may have forced Rodgers to get quicker too, making him now even better at catching our opponents.

Who knows if this is true but the logic seems to follow.

2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    I find the comments about the simplification of the defense more interesting than the free play element of that piece.

McCarthy promised "less scheme, more pre-snap adjustments" this off-season, but then again he promised that last season when it didn't take, if it was even considered by the DC. Perhaps it is sticking this time because of McCarthy's increased involvement in the proceedings.

Complexity leads to too much thinking which blunts aggressiveness and speed. Complexity leads to late adjustments and confusion. Complexity is inappropriate to a defense where youth circulates into several positions every year.

These were precisely my complaints about the Capers defense these past couple of years. It's about time something was done about it. Saying these changes were necessary under the newfound revelation that offenses play fast (as though this is something new) is half the story; simplicity and getting adjustments out on time have benefits even when the opponent huddles up. Carry on.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    I broke this off from the defensive thread because, well, I wanted to focus on Rodgers and the offense. I've already commented about the defensive adjustment.

4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    I get that now. I didn't look at the defensive thread until after this one.

5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    No worries. I just thought this was a neat nugget to pull out. It usually stands to reason that a good offense can benefit from playing against a good defense in practice. Then again, it never helped Trent Dilfer get any better to play against his Ravens' defense 15 years ago.....or did it??? :tdown:

6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,662
    Dilfer only played a single season in Baltimore and won the Super Bowl during that one. It took them 12 years to get over losing him to the Seahawks. ;)

In general the starting QB mostly faces a scout team defense during the season preparing the offense for their next opponent, he only faces the #1 unit during OTAs and training camp. With Rodgers being an elite QB and McCarthy offering some inside information about the offense's tendencies this offseason I think the defense mostly benefitted this offseason.

7. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    In addition to simplifying the defensive playbook and shortening the play calls, Tyler Dunne wrote a piece in June about McCarthy's helping the D.
    Capers talks about the advantage of having a great offensive mind like McCarthy's in the defensive meetings. And McCarthy went a step farther:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...pective-to-defense-b99520931z1-307762851.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    The free plays have pretty much dissappeared as defenses have spent a lot of their practice week working on the hard count. As defenses are busy preparing for that, I'd like to see Rodgers take advantage in other ways.

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,662
    Even if the defense doesn't jump offsides Rodgers hard count slows down the pass rush which helps protecting him, especially against a great DL like the Rams.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    He got 'em to jump in the first possession against STL and it was blown dead. It turned 3rd. and 11 into 3rd. and 6...the next play was the Montgomery TD.

The key for an opponent who jumps is to keep charging and make contact; taking the penalty is preferable to the free play as the lesser of two evils. As in the above instance, the lesser evil can still be damaging.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  11. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Rodgers is the best QB in the game today, whether it's played fast or slow.

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,748
    I found this quote particularly interesting and not a little disturbing:

"[McCarthy will] point to an offensive lineman's stance. When a tackle lines up like this, he'll say, a run is coming. Or a pass. This off-season, they've been dissecting all subtleties at the line of scrimmage."

While busting up information silos is almost always a good thing, defensive coaches with decades of experience should not need McCarthy to provide these "revelations".

• Agree Agree x 1