Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1'

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome feature, never noticed it.

Obviously an over dramatization. I am sure JJ has better hands than I do and I can catch a ball better than a guy with literal bricks for hands...

I used the term "brick hands" more liberally than some of you would. I never said he hasn't made a tough catch..

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Braylon Edwards makes amazing catches from time to time, does he have amazing hands? All just a concentration issue I guess.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The market seems to be drying up for JJ. with the vikings and jets reportedly being the only suitors remaining. Maybe we can keep him around for a decent price. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel was applying the same type logic to Cullen Jenkins. the tops teams running for his services (cowboys and redskins) have seemed to find different guys to fill their empty spots but there is still some lingering interest from the saints. Who knows maybe both stick around

lookoutblock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is solid but I'd be shocked if we shell out cash for him. Definitely not a TT move.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
We sign Jones then I think we can kiss Nelson goodbye when his contract expires.

Tom Silverstein had an article on this. Nelson and Finley are free agents after next year. I think it'd be pretty hard to pay Jennings, Nelson and Jones all at least #2 WR-type money and have space to give Finley a big deal. I'd prefer Jones over Nelson, it seems the Pack do not though.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Schefter just said that the Vikings have signed WR Michael Jenkins. Maybe that means that they're no longer looking to sign James Jones.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall Cobb may have better hands. And Nelson needs more playing time. With Finley back and the plethora of weapons, paying Jones is dumb.

The guy had too many drops for me to every be happy with him, SB or not. Let the Eagles sign him or something.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect next to nothing from our rookies this year. its tough for rookies, the lock out didnt help things

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein had an article on this. Nelson and Finley are free agents after next year. I think it'd be pretty hard to pay Jennings, Nelson and Jones all at least #2 WR-type money and have space to give Finley a big deal. I'd prefer Jones over Nelson, it seems the Pack do not though.
Yes, that seems to be the fan's opinion yet the Packers are higher on Nelson. I've figured from the start that Nelson would eventually replace one of the 2 WRs. I am down on JJ but he's just never, ever warranted any confidence. Nelson's performance in the SB made me think I might have been right all along. I honestly dont' think the Packers will lose anything with JJ gone vrs Nelson.
What I"D like to know is why you'd prefer Jones over Nelson?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason people are wanting to keep him around is because he is a high risk high reward upside. He is faster,stronger, and more athletic than Jordy and if he could fix the easy drops he sometimes makes he would be a better candidate to someday replace DD, but that is a big IF. I'm personally still on the Jordy Nelson bandwagon after his superbowl performance and with Jermichael Finley coming back he is easily our number 2 option in the passing game anyways.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect next to nothing from our rookies this year. its tough for rookies, the lock out didnt help things

Players like James Starks, Frank Zombo and Sam Shields didn't get many reps in training camp due to being deep on the depth charts, injury, etc. yet they were key components in our Super Bowl run.

I agree that the lockout didn't help, but I'm expecting Randall Cobb to help our special teams and other players like DJ Williams, Alex Green, Davon House, etc. to be at least role players this year.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players like James Starks, Frank Zombo and Sam Shields didn't get many reps in training camp due to being deep on the depth charts, injury, etc. yet they were key components in our Super Bowl run.

I agree that the lockout didn't help, but I'm expecting Randall Cobb to help our special teams and other players like DJ Williams, Alex Green, Davon House, etc. to be at least role players this year.

The only rookie I expect to have some immediate impact is Randall Cobb. In the return game, and he's so dynamic, it's hard not to think that McCarthy didn't cook up plays specifically designed for him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, but they had the playbook since May. And they had some reps.

Right now, rookies are just getting to know the system, and have never practiced with any of their teammates. Heck, they don't even know the cities they're in, the facilities, the coaching staff...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah the offense is full speed! Ok, Eagles, you can cover Jennings, Jones and Nelson. You still can't cover Finley, Cobb, Driver, DJ Williams, Grant, Starks...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL how pissed is Favre? He makes "suggestions" to the media about who should be signed or resigned, and they go ignored.
Rodgers says he wants jones and it happens.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL how pissed is Favre? He makes "suggestions" to the media about who should be signed or resigned, and they go ignored.

Apparently both Rodgers and Driver lobbied hard for them to get Jones back. That might have made the difference.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, two things.

First off, TT only signed Jones on his terms. Details of the contracts are still to be known, but Jones wasn't signed pronto. It's the 3rd day in FA, so chances are Jones signed for what TT wanted.

And he wasn't alone, Driver was with him (Twitter). And IMHO that is more important.

Rodgers is biased, wants weapons that he's familiar with. But when a guy that competes with Jones for the starting spot is actually lobbying for him, you know how close these guys are, how genuine their comraderie is.

Still, IMHO Rodgers was completely out of place to go to the media to lobby for Jones. If he had done it in private (which he also did), it would've been a fine display of leadership. But to go to the media IMHO was wrong.

Even though it's distinct situations (rebuilding team vs championship team, lobbying for FAs vs lobbying for own guys, etc), I criticized Favre then and I do the same for Rodgers.

Players play, Managers manage.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, two things.

First off, TT only signed Jones on his terms. Details of the contracts are still to be known, but Jones wasn't signed pronto. It's the 3rd day in FA, so chances are Jones signed for what TT wanted.

And he wasn't alone, Driver was with him (Twitter). And IMHO that is more important.

Rodgers is biased, wants weapons that he's familiar with. But when a guy that competes with Jones for the starting spot is actually lobbying for him, you know how close these guys are, how genuine their comraderie is.

Still, IMHO Rodgers was completely out of place to go to the media to lobby for Jones. If he had done it in private (which he also did), it would've been a fine display of leadership. But to go to the media IMHO was wrong.

Even though it's distinct situations (rebuilding team vs championship team, lobbying for FAs vs lobbying for own guys, etc), I criticized Favre then and I do the same for Rodgers.

Players play, Managers manage.

Oh I agree, I had a post on here that I hated that Rodgers made public comments about who to resign.

I just made the previous comment bc Im sure Brett thinks its personal, even though its not.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I agree, I had a post on here that I hated that Rodgers made public comments about who to resign.

I just made the previous comment bc Im sure Brett thinks its personal, even though its not.

Favre's mentally disturbed. And I don't mean that as an attack on him, but all signs point that he should see a psychiatrist regularly. All of these things, sending **** shots, taking everything personal and wanting revenge, doing whatever it takes to get revenge, even basically destroying his legacy, that's not what a mentally healthy person would do.

Members online

Latest posts