1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1'

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GnG, Jul 26, 2011.

1. GnG

GnG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1'

By Kevin Seifert
    Many of us presumed the Green Bay Packers were prepared to let receiver James Jones move on via free agency. I, for one, have been among those who wondered if the Packers would commit market-level money to a pass-catcher when Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley will all be on the roster in 2011.

Well, none of us asked Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Appearing Tuesday on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee, Rodgers lobbied for Jones' return in the strongest terms imaginable.

"James is extremely talented and he's a guy that I think we need to bring back without a doubt," Rodgers said. "He should be priority No. 1 and I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don't win the Super Bowl without him and we need him."

Asked about Jones' well-documented drops last season, Rodgers said: "Physical mistakes can happen. Yeah, it's frustrating, but James made a ton of big plays for us [last] season and I think his best football is in front of him."

Whoa.

General manager Ted Thompson doesn't typically consult with players on such matters and Rodgers admitted his job isn't to make such decisions. But when the Super Bowl MVP speaks up forcefully on a personnel issue, it's worth listening to. If nothing else, we know Rodgers will be quite disappointed if Jones moves on.

There are a number of high quality receivers available, and the market has yet to develop. It's possible the Packers could wind up with Jones at a bargain price. We'll see.

Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1' - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

2. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    ewwww not a fan of paying jones.

3. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'm surprised by that. I just don't think we need to spend big money on a slot receiver and it would be better used on other areas. I guess they could keep Jones and part ways with Nelson when the time comes. I couldn't envision them giving three receivers long-term deals.

4. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I'm not surprised, though Jones had a lot of BAD drops, I am pretty sure he can work on those. AP got his fumbling problem sorted out. JJ can get his hands in shape to catch the football. Ultimately its going to be up to TT to make the call, and I would rather have his judgement's than ARod's.

5. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Rats. Seeing the title of this thread, I was hoping Rodgers said Jones was the number 1 priority to upgrade.

6. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Rodgers has said they came repeat with the guys in the locker room. Jones is part of that locker room.

7. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    lol.... what ever TT does will be the right decision.....
    pay him or keep him....

either way

R. Cobb is gonna fit in well though... so IMHO.... adios 89

8. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +484
    JJ needs to fix them drops... I dont know about priority #1 tho...

9. Ausnadian

Ausnadian Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    Jones's biggest issues are the fact his eyes light up when he sees an empty field in front of him, instead of concentrating on the catch he already thinks TD, and I am not sure you can beat that outta him. I would be sad if we wasted much cap room on him. Fine as a 3rd WR but not 1st or 2nd money, which someone else will pay him.

10. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    Rodgers will have to deal with life without him, no chance TT overpays JJ.

11. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    The only thing anyone that wants to keep James Jones in GB has going for them is the fact that there a few as good if not better free agent WR's out there this year. That being said if the other guys get scooped up early we might be able to keep JJ here on a bit smaller contract.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Future

Future He did WHAT?

Ratings:
    +87
    This is definitely what I am hoping for. Jones has so much talent and I believe people are writing him off too quickly after we drafted Cobb. It usually takes until a WR's third year for him to really grasp the position. Plus, it's not as if Jones hasn't had any production. 700 yards for your 3rd WR is pretty solid.

13. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'm not trying to criticize Jones. I think he's a good WR and could be a #2 on many teams. Heck, he'd be a #1 on Chicago with some improvement on concentration.

But we already have three solid wide receivers. They also use Finley in slot formations and will still need to make room for Cobb to get some plays in.

Receiver is one of the deepest positions in the NFL and therefore can be replaced easier. I'd also say that Aaron Rodgers can make most receivers look better than they are if they're willing to work and not slouch off. We already have our go-to guy (Jennings) and Nelson is a fine #2. They don't need to break bank on too many receivers with guys like Clay Matthews, B.J. Raji, and Josh Sitton coming up.

14. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I read this as AR is saying it for his guy. You know, standing up for JJ. This isn't a statement to TT. What's he supposed to say? Get rid of the bum? AR is a leader on the team and has to speak up for his teamates.
    That being said, I'd love for him to stay, but at a realistic dollar is all. If someone is going to pay him #1 WR money you gotta pat him on the back, thank him for his services and wish him luck.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GBPack2010

GBPack2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +67
    He's gone. We have a roster full of stars, paying him big money will hurt in long term down the road. Pretty sure TT is considering that.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    I hate when players comment on what the GM does. When his business card says general manager he can speak like a general manager. Didnt he learn anything from the idiot we had before him that tried to play GM?

17. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    Yeah, as much as I love Rodgers, I completely dislike when players comment on personnel decisions. Jones needs to go. Drafting Cobb means he's done. Very small upside and butter fingers. Also he likes candy wayyyyyy to much.

18. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +643
    you mean as opposed to someone like say...oh...i dunno...james harrison? there's a guy thats as bad as the delisiounal pittsburg fans that follow him. (looking for the steelers sux emoticon...oh well, i will use this one instead: :chisux:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    I think everyone should be more fortunate that we have the opportunity to keep a decent receiver. He will be able to fix his dropping problem. You can't fix his size, speed, blocking ability, or chemistry with the rest of the team.

20. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    I'd agree that he has the natural build and talent level to be a good WR in the NFL but after a few years of making the mental mistakes over and over what makes you think he will magically remedy the problem?

21. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    You cannot teach hands, and JJ doesn't have a good set of em.

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    He has good hands, he's able to catch the ball easily outside his body. But he doesn't have good concentration. He drops easy passes, but makes incredibly difficult ones, like the TD against the Eagles and the one against the Falcons, 2 very difficult ones.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,048
    Packers are talking numbers with Jones now. Trying to work a contract.

24. VersusTheMoose

Ratings:
    +161
    He drops it from everywhere, you cannot blame that solely on concentration. He doesn't and never will have good hands.

25. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    It's concentration for certain. When I'm at the range with a rifle I'm an expert. When I'm hunting deer with a rifle I never miss.
    However, when shooting clays I'm a 20 or 21 shooter. But hunting birds I rarely miss.
    The problem is, even if you recognize that, it's hard to change, I've been shooting this way for years.
    JJ is a helluvva lot younger than me, but habits are hard to break. I wish him well.