RIP Ted Thompson

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang, RIP.

Definitely slung my fair share of $hit his way near the end. But I'm thankful for the work he did. It reverberates to this day.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I am heartbroken over the news. When he was hitting his stride he drafted well it sucks he had a very rapid decline in health that might had resulted in not good drafts at the end.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the more reason for us to win it all this year.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP TT, he did contribute to this teams success for a while. Maybe this will help this team have an edge on sunday.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just what a good GM he was, he was a good and decent man. This one really blindsided me. God bless Ted, rest in peace.

A very humble man, he wasn't interested in getting credit, just loved doing his job. I got to visit with him briefly at a Fan Fest. I asked him to sign a hat that Ron Wolf had already signed. TT asked if I was sure I wanted him to mess up a great hat by having him sign it too. Self-effacing good guy and what a gutsy move drafting Arod.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great and touching statement by McCarthy on Thompson's passing.

"You will hear from a lot of people who will tell you great things about Ted Thompson and what he meant to them and every word will be true. But when I think about Ted, who he was as a man, will always carry more weight than what he did professionally. There has never been a finer human being to walk the playing fields or have a presence in the scouting rooms.

Ted gave me an opportunity of a lifetime. As a young first-time head coach, who thought he had all the answers, I couldn't have been matched with a more perfect leader. He taught me patience. I will forever remember all of the times he would simply smile at me and say, "slow down young man."

He always protected and reinforced the importance of the tradition and history of the Green Bay Packers. It wasn't enough just to win--it was equally important to win the right way. He exuded those qualities in everything he approached in football and in life.

Ted was very private, and few got to see the things I will miss most about him--his sense of humor, his story telling and the kindness of such a good man. I have tremendous gratitude and appreciation for the opportunities he provided for me and my family.

Ted was a man of extreme faith which gives me peace in knowing he is in a better place, but I also know, for those whose lives he touched, we are all better because of the time we were able to be with him.

Slow down, my friend. What a life you led and an example you exemplified."

Source: https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mike-mccarthy-statement-on-loss-of-ted-thompson

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By all accounts, a wonderful and humble man. His death diminishes us all.

And his fingerprints are all over the current roster: Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, David Bahktiari, Davante Adams, Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, etc.

Impressive.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was saddened and surprised to hear of Ted Thompson’s death. I have struggled to find the words on how much I appreciate his efforts on behalf of the Green Bay Packers. I’ve learned a lot about the high quality of his human character over the past 24 hours from those who knew him well. My condolences and prayers go to his family and friends.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It is not my intention to pull down one man to elevate another and I may unintentionally do just that here but will give it a shot anyway. I may have missed a prior reference to the mess he inherited from the previous regime - and I just want to add that Mike Sherman was a helluva good man that was plain and simple in over his head as GM/VP. There was a real good reason that Holmgren took Thompson with him to Seattle when he raided Green Bay's refrigerator on the way out of town. Holmgren's ego (and he has one - a BIG one - and I still love the guy) never really allowed him to lay the personnel acquisition props for Seattle's first Super Bowl run at Ted's feet - but all accounts lay his responsibility for it at Thompson's feet. Then, he came here and did it again. Now granted GB still had Favre which resulted in Thompson being a 'second thought', but the fact is that Green Bay was a descending franchise during Mike Sherman's tenure, and MY GUY Ron Wolf has to take some of the blame for that - and Saint Bob Harlan as well. Ted "righted the ship" all but immediately.

Ted needs to be placed on the same "ring" spot that Ron Wolf occupied before his induction into the NFL Hall of Fame -- off to the right of the retired numbers. Just my opinion. Thompson bought into the Wolf "Packer Way" and executed it as Wolf would have. For that, I'm grateful.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry ladies, didn’t realze this was a group hug site. IMO the guy was a seriously underachieving sleeze who oversaw THE most shameful episode in Packer history... by far. Being dead changes that... sorry .., for me... it does not

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys know I'm not high on Ted, a lot of his draft picks flamed out from about 2012 forward, but the man won a championship here. Have to respect that RIP

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO the guy was a seriously underachieving sleeze who oversaw THE most shameful episode in Packer history... by far.

That's a load of BS. The Packers won a Super Bowl as well as the division six times and made the playoffs in nine of 13 seasons during Thompson's tenure.

It's well known that I didn't like his reluctancy to use free agency to improve positions in need of an upgrade but overall he was a very successful GM.

To pull off something like that in a thread on the mourning of his death tells a whole lot about your character.

RIP TT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a group hug site, but there are 1000 other threads with hundreds or more replies to criticize or take shots at the former GM. He died, have a bit of decency. It's not that hard. and when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. Don't double down on stupid.

anyway, most of you have already said what comes to mind when I think of Thompson. Not many people really knew him, he was very private and felt his role was to get the players and let the team get the glory. Stories from other players etc confirm what a humble and out of the spotlight guy he was. I was a bit sad to hear the confirmation of his health issues that many of us had suspected. For as quiet and unassuming as he was, i could always see a glimpse of someone who probably had a sense of humor none of us would have suspected. and while most thought he said nothing in his few pressers I thought he said enough, you just had to catch it.

I knew it wasn't happening, but I was hoping he'd pen a book one day just to give us some insights how he evaluated or approached things. Anyway, his mark is still very much present on this team from the front office to major players on the field. I hope he's watching and i'm sure he's proud of his guys.