RIP Ted Thompson

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not like reading that. May you Rest In Peace Ted! Thanks for all that you did for Green Bay! Forever in our hearts GM!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man. That really sucks.

I hope everybody remembers how great of a GM he was, the talented teams he built, and the vast respect he had from his peers. He loved football as much as he hated press conferences.

RIP to a GB Packer legend, and hall of famer.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man. That really sucks.

I hope everybody remembers how great of a GM he was, the talented teams he built, and the vast respect he had from his peers. He loved football as much as he hated press conferences.

RIP to a GB Packer legend, and hall of famer.

I certainly do, we have a Super Bowl contender right now with a number of his draft picks in key spots(Rodgers, Linsley, Adams, Jones, Bakhtiari, and Clarke) and of course one of his proteges steering the ship. He was a damned good GM and I'm saddened that he passed away now. Wish he could have seen this season through and watched some his guys compete for a Lombardi one last time.

EDIT: Think about this, obviously there are other key contributors like Lowry, Williams and King, but of those 5 guys 3 are the best at their position group in the league and Jones and Clarke are almost certainly top 5. TTs only sin as a GM was giving MM too much leash. I wonder what might have been if we had gone away from Capers years earlier, because Teddy really was a scary judge of talent.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this was unexpected or if there might have been some expectation of his passing? His health problems have been reported in the past.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My condolences to his family, first and foremost. 68 is too young. Thank you, Ted, for your many years of work at the Packers organization, and for putting us in a position to win the Super Bowl in 2010. And thank you for giving us many great players who made the team exciting to watch, adding enjoyment to all of our lives.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What terrible news :(

Thank you Ted for the great work you‘ve done for the Pack! You’ve built multiple great teams that were so much fun to watch. Rest in peace, champ!

Hope we can win it for Ted.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This was before TT's induction into the Packer Hall of Fame

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So, so sad.

But frankly, I'm not stunned. His health was clearly in decline at the end. What stunned me was that so many people saw his obvious mental deterioration as something to mock.

I hope the team wins a ring to honor his memory. His fingerprints are all over this team in really important ways.

Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Corey Linsley, Aaron Jones, Kevin King, Dean Lowry, Jamaal Williams... all TT guys.

Great career; great Packer.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Echoing what Dantes said, Thompson's health issues were apparent toward the end. Never had a good feeling about that whole situation.

He was a very good GM for the most part. I may have disagreed with some of his philosophies and reluctant behaviors as far as all around team building is concerned, but there's no doubt that he worked extremely hard and earned a ton of respect within the organization, and around the league as well.

This is a big loss for anyone associated with the Packers, and obviously condolences to his loved ones. RIP, Ted. Enjoy watching the Packers hoist the Lombardi 17 days from now.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just what a good GM he was, he was a good and decent man. This one really blindsided me. God bless Ted, rest in peace.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Heartbreaking news heading into the NFCCG. The man that drafted Rodgers, Davante, Dbakh and Jones and his last moves as the Packers GM were extending Davante and Linsley and signing URFA Tonyan. My deepest condolences to his family. May he rest in peace!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope that Ted was able to watch Saturdays convincing win over the Rams. Knowing after it that he left us all with a team that he helped build and one that stood a good chance at bringing another Lombardi back to Green Bay.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean can you put another log on the fire stoking Rodgers...now add the emotion of doing it for literally one of the only owners that called upon that kid from Cal...it's like someone is writing the story happening.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, so sad.

But frankly, I'm not stunned. His health was clearly in decline at the end. What stunned me was that so many people saw his obvious mental deterioration as something to mock.

I hope the team wins a ring to honor his memory. His fingerprints are all over this team in really important ways.

Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark, Corey Linsley, Aaron Jones, Kevin King, Dean Lowry, Jamaal Williams... all TT guys.

Great career; great Packer.

Let's not forget Woodson acquisition as well! He didn't do much in FA, but that one was MASSIVE.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Packers announced the team will honor former general manager Ted Thompson by installing his name on the Lambeau Field facade before next season." -Story HERE

Article also says "According to the Packers, Thompson drafted 20 different players during his 13-year run as general manager that made at least one Pro Bowl."

Woodson posted:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!