RIP Ted Thompson

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt gave some insight on working with ted.

Listen to The Wendy's Big Show on the free RADIO.COM app!
https://app.radio.com/DHaHWGjejdb

Andrew Brandt (@AndrewBrandt) Tweeted:
#GoPackGo #WinItForTed
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No tears shed here
I'm not gonna rip on you because there have been several people that have already done that. And while you are entitled to your opinion, there is a saying if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. C'mon man.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a group hug site, but there are 1000 other threads with hundreds or more replies to criticize or take shots at the former GM. He died, have a bit of decency. It's not that hard. and when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. Don't double down on stupid.

anyway, most of you have already said what comes to mind when I think of Thompson. Not many people really knew him, he was very private and felt his role was to get the players and let the team get the glory. Stories from other players etc confirm what a humble and out of the spotlight guy he was. I was a bit sad to hear the confirmation of his health issues that many of us had suspected. For as quiet and unassuming as he was, i could always see a glimpse of someone who probably had a sense of humor none of us would have suspected. and while most thought he said nothing in his few pressers I thought he said enough, you just had to catch it.

I knew it wasn't happening, but I was hoping he'd pen a book one day just to give us some insights how he evaluated or approached things. Anyway, his mark is still very much present on this team from the front office to major players on the field. I hope he's watching and i'm sure he's proud of his guys.
Ah yes, I loved his draft time press conferences. It was so obvious he was uncomfortable being placed in those situations and he always had his water bottle there with him as his security blanket. Indeed, dry witty snippets would be traded between him and the press. I was enthralled with the scene. The guys in the press would tiptoe around him re-wording questions in a vain attempt to get him to answer questions on subjects that he wasn’t going to reveal his secrets. To me, it was great theater. Ted, possibly in a moment of weakness, would quietly reveal a tidbit that we really had no business knowing. Like the time he dropped the news that their board consisted of 125 players that year. That right there is very revealing in how targeted their approach was. I was stunned by that revelation. I learned a lot by watching and listening to Thompson and I would bet good money that Gutekunst is repeating many of the same processes. I was certain that Ted wouldn’t write his book. It was already written on the field and still is. He’s the kind of guy that just silently drifts off into the sunset when no one is looking. I found him to be a very fascinating individual.

p.s. still laugh thinking about seeing him get clearly annoyed when Tom Silverstein asked him about the UDFA’s in one of his last press conferences.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edit: This is in response to Akcheese.

Alright I have to ask, like a train wreck loaded with sour milk, what was the most shameful incident in Packer history?

I'm guessing it has to do with moving from Favre to Rodgers.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Alright I have to ask, like a train wreck loaded with sour milk, what was the most shameful incident in Packer history.

Guessing you`re a Favre fan ?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright I have to ask, like a train wreck loaded with sour milk, what was the most shameful incident in Packer history.

Are you implying this has something to do with Thompson? And honestly even if that is the case I don't think this is the thread to do it in. This thread is to honor Ted, rather than point out the things he did or did not do as a GM.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
oversaw THE most shameful episode in Packer history
If that is the case, there are way worse instances. Like having players on the roster that ***** and/or sexually assaulted women in elevators or their homes.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a group hug site, but there are 1000 other threads with hundreds or more replies to criticize or take shots at the former GM. He died, have a bit of decency. It's not that hard. and when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. Don't double down on stupid.

anyway, most of you have already said what comes to mind when I think of Thompson. Not many people really knew him, he was very private and felt his role was to get the players and let the team get the glory. Stories from other players etc confirm what a humble and out of the spotlight guy he was. I was a bit sad to hear the confirmation of his health issues that many of us had suspected. For as quiet and unassuming as he was, i could always see a glimpse of someone who probably had a sense of humor none of us would have suspected. and while most thought he said nothing in his few pressers I thought he said enough, you just had to catch it.

I knew it wasn't happening, but I was hoping he'd pen a book one day just to give us some insights how he evaluated or approached things. Anyway, his mark is still very much present on this team from the front office to major players on the field. I hope he's watching and i'm sure he's proud of his guys.

Decency at least how I group up was also not kissing the *** of someone in death who you ratholed in life. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I learned.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decency at least how I group up was also not kissing the *** of someone in death who you ratholed in life. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I learned.
I don't think anyone here is kissing Thompson's *** here. While we didn't necessarily agreed with his approach later during his tenure he did help win us a championship and we had plenty of good memories with the guy as our GM. There is a time and a place for everything. He had his faults as well as his pros. But imo there is no need to speak ill of the dead, not here. Not right now. There are plenty bad GMs. Thompson all in all wasn't what I'd consider a bad GM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decency is also knowing when to keep your thoughts to yourself and having the self control to do it. Some exhibit they have neither quality.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry ladies, didn’t realze this was a group hug site. IMO the guy was a seriously underachieving sleeze who oversaw THE most shameful episode in Packer history... by far. Being dead changes that... sorry .., for me... it does not

Your sheer ignorance is insane. Dismantling your case is vastly too simple...I also find it insanely sad that you hate someone so much over a stinking sports team to behave in such a manner. I mean dear lord, if you're under the age of 18 sure you'll learn but judging from how long it says you've been a Packer fan I'm embarrassed for a family you most likely have.

I disagreed strongly with some of Ted's decisions but the man kept us relevant nearly his entire time with the team....his death is not something to be pushed aside with trash and while I'm not shedding true tears for the man I'm also not gonna be an ignorant dumb ***** either.

Mods, fully understand if I need put on silent for this comment. I understand if so, but this classless fool needs to grow up or get gone.

I

Your sheer ignorance is insane. Dismantling your case is vastly too simple...I also find it insanely sad that you hate someone so much over a stinking sports team to behave in such a manner. I mean dear lord, if you're under the age of 18 sure you'll learn but judging from how long it says you've been a Packer fan I'm embarrassed for a family you most likely have.

I disagreed strongly with some of Ted's decisions but the man kept us relevant nearly his entire time with the team....his death is not something to be pushed aside with trash and while I'm not shedding true tears for the man I'm also not gonna be an ignorant dumb ***** either.

Mods, fully understand if I need put on silent for this comment. I understand if so, but this classless fool needs to grow up or get gone.

Attention seeking is what he wants

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

You are good

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT was a good GM overall. But even if some on this thread disagree, why would that make his death insignificant? By all accounts, he was a good man. In the big picture, that’s more important than his football philosophy. He also died at a relatively young age. There is no reason to make light of that, and doing so speaks poorly to the personal character of those posters.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry ladies, didn’t realze this was a group hug site. IMO the guy was a seriously underachieving sleeze who oversaw THE most shameful episode in Packer history... by far. Being dead changes that... sorry .., for me... it does not
Yeah but again while you are entitled to your opinion and everything, let me ask you, was that really necessary for you to say those things? What purpose was saying the things you did were going to accomplish? Again there have been plenty worse GMS in NFL history, while I do agree that we did underachieve, I don't think you know the guy well enough to call him a sleeze, and we did win a championship under his tenure. That counts for something.

It's not a group hug session, but ask yourself, was what you said really necessary?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you implying this has something to do with Thompson? And honestly even if that is the case I don't think this is the thread to do it in. This thread is to honor Ted, rather than point out the things he did or did not do as a GM.

No im not implying anything, i wanted akcheese to clarify what he wrote in the first place.

I

Oh dear lord, i wrote that post in response to Akcheese. I wish i would have quoted him and dont know how i forgot

No problem, my remark was kind of directed at him too. I think the feeling here is his comment was totally out of order in the present context. Respect for a good man.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classless comment. Along with a lot of others, time to put you on ignore.

I will admit I DESPISE the option folks have to ignore others...this however was the first time I ever seriously considered it.

Members online

Latest posts