Return Game

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These guys stink haha. Quite Frankly Zook should be on the hot seat as well but that may just be me. I'd like to see the combination of Christian Michael and Randall CObb returning kicks. I think that would be a huge upgrade over Janis and Montgomery who needs to be fresh anyways. With our defense they'll get plenty of opportunities. Something's gotta change tho...these guys barely make it to the 25 when they field the ball. It would be nice to have the consistent threat of a guy who can be a huge threat in the return game. I know they have been using Cobb to return punts and he's pretty good at it...but he's not 100% so how about Michael and Davis if they ever take the guy out the dog house. I think that's an exciting combo. What do you guys think?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. And Michael is an interesting thought. At least he would run north and south. I still worry about Cobb getting hurt though.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. And Michael is an interesting thought. At least he would run north and south. I still worry about Cobb getting hurt though.

I love the way Michael runs..he's got a strong frame and you can tell the guy is both quick, and explosive. So why not give him more chances to touch the ball? As for Cobb yea I know there's an injury factor but how long are they going to keep Davis off the field? I'm telling you with those two back there it would ignite the return game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The returners rarely get good blocking out front. However, the blockers have been quite adept at drawing holding penalties. Until STs somehow find a way to block effectively no returner is likely to do much.

Being at the game in an endzone, I had a perfect view of kickoff returns.

You are right that the blocking was poor. There was no room at all to go.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Mont's approach at returning kicks is too much like an HB looking for holes in the line. As soon as he fields the ball, he's bouncing around and dancing around looking for a hole. Just run north, Ty. Trust and hope in your blockers.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers struggle on kickoff returns they actually have a pretty good punt return unit (9.7 yards on average, 9th in the league) once they decide to bring it back. Unfortunately the team is last in attempts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want Ty returning kicks anymore. He's a huge part of what's making this offense go right now and he's not that great at returning kicks. If he was a threat to bust one anytime he touched the ball, i'd be happy keeping him back there, but he's not. I'd rather Janis and Michael be back there. Davis didn't look that great from what I remember on kickoffs. To hesitant. Get the ball and start moving forward, hit the crease on the run and keep going.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want Ty returning kicks anymore. He's a huge part of what's making this offense go right now and he's not that great at returning kicks. If he was a threat to bust one anytime he touched the ball, i'd be happy keeping him back there, but he's not. I'd rather Janis and Michael be back there. Davis didn't look that great from what I remember on kickoffs. To hesitant. Get the ball and start moving forward, hit the crease on the run and keep going.

I mentioned earlier to take Ty off kick offs...but as far as not giving Davis another chance I would disagree. He has gamebreaking speed and needs more reps back there.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should continue to have Montgomery return kicks if he presents the best option on the roster. I´m not convinced there aren´t any better players to fill that position though.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should continue to have Montgomery return kicks if he presents the best option on the roster. I´m not convinced there aren´t any better players to fill that position though.

I think they should at least put Michael back there. No question about it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he is though. I don't think Janis is great either, i don't think he has the best vision, but he has more ability to break a big one if he can get his speed going. Ty barely gets back to the 20 half the time if he catches it at the 5 it seems. I have a hard time believing he's the best guy for the job on the roster as I think pretty much anybody catching it and running will go as far. If I felt there was a good chance he'd get us to the 30-40 yard line pretty consistently when he returns it, then I'd be all for keeping him back there. As it stands, i'd bet there are a bunch of guys not contributing much in other ways that could at least replace his KR production if not improve upon. I don't think we have many other options on offense that can replace or improve upon what he's offering us in that category though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they should at least put Michael back there. No question about it.

I´m convinced the coaching staff has tried Michael as kick returner during practice. I don´t know about the reasons why they haven´t used him during a game though.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't get this logic... I'd put Jordy out there if I thought he could return 4 or 5 a year for a TD and flip field position consistently. That's obviously not the case but put the best man for the job out there. If OBJ, AB, Richard Sherman, and Landry can be risked to return punts and play special teams I am sure we can take the chance on Ty.

Let's look at the options.

Hyde - is slower than most offensive linemen and dances too much. Decent hands though
Janis - scares me everytime the ball gets close to him. Great straight line speed but not very elusive.
Davis - I think the Packers have all but given up on him. Not even playing special teams anymore
Cobb - Too hurt to play it right now
Jordy and Adams - too slow and not exceptional good in the open field.
Micheal - unless I am mistaken hasn't done it since his soph year in college.

The Packers just don't have a lot of explosive options at that position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should probably just let the ball bounce once and let go into the end zone or out of bounds. Janis just got lucky a couple times. He does not know how to run up the middle and just look for an opening. Montgomery has too much patience for kickoff returns. Maybe Michael. And certainly the whole special team needs better blocking assignments.

D

Deleted member 6794

They should probably just let the ball bounce once and let go into the end zone or out of bounds.

That would end up being a terrible idea if the ball doesn´t bounce into the end zone or out of bounds though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers struggle on kickoff returns they actually have a pretty good punt return unit (9.7 yards on average, 9th in the league) once they decide to bring it back. Unfortunately the team is last in attempts.
could be because they aren't forcing enough punts ?

Staff online

Latest posts