Retiring #4 Jersey

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no. 3

kicker Ben Agajanian wore it in 1961 when he was signed as an emergency replacement for Hornung. He played 3 games on the Championship team. This was 9 years after Canadeo's number was retired, and the mistake was never made again.

Nitchske's no. 66 was given to 2 players between the time of his playing retirement and his number's retirement. Paul Rudzinkski in '61 and Mike Lewis in '80

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no. 3

kicker Ben Agajanian wore it in 1961 when he was signed as an emergency replacement for Hornung. He played 3 games on the Championship team. This was 9 years after Canadeo's number was retired, and the mistake was never made again.

Nitchske's no. 66 was given to 2 players between the time of his playing retirement and his number's retirement. Paul Rudzinkski in '61 and Mike Lewis in '80

We have another winner. I'll post some cool pics if I can later today on this subject.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say bring Adam Viniatieri.

Also, it's an atrocity that Bush wears #24.

Ah, a Willie Wood fan? I agree. The NFL had rule changes because Lombardi wold have #24 sit at the goal posts on field goal attempts because his vertical leap was so good, he could slap away a field goal attempt.Teams are no longer allowed to do this.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you use the HOF as a criteria for retiring a player's number, we'd have 22 numbers retired--25 if you include members who were with the Packers for one season.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I am glad that we won't have to see No #4 on any of today's throwbacks. The 1929's jersey is one of the few recognized jersey style that did not have Favre name on. The Packers had a 1930's, 1940's, 1960's throwback jersey games during his career with the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad that we won't have to see No #4 on any of today's throwbacks. The 1929's jersey is one of the few recognized jersey style that did not have Favre name on. The Packers had a 1930's, 1940's, 1960's throwback jersey games during his career with the Packers.

I'm pretty fond of all the throwbacks. My friend has favres game worn jersey from the thanksgiving game, the white one. Then the packers sold like 30 "game issued" Favre jerseys from that game so they have been resold as "game worn" by some shady people.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I heard of that scandal. I haven't seen a Packers jersey design I haven't liked. Even their 80's attire was good. Which is another jersey design that Favre didn't wear, but only had subtle differences. I wish the NFL would continue thanksgiving throwback games.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't be an A hole. He was being nice and asking since he didn't know. No need to insult him.
You call me an A hole. All I did was point out the generation gap. I know he was being nice, I even admitted my own sons don't know who # 5 was. I did not insult him. You dislike me and the feeling is mutual. Get off my back, and get your record straight.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You call me an A hole. All I did was point out the generation gap. I know he was being nice, I even admitted my own sons don't know who # 5 was. I did not insult him. You dislike me and the feeling is mutual. Get off my back, and get your record straight.

Telling him to learn some history is not nice. Or laughing at him for asking the question. Just answer the Question without being a jerk.

You have been a problem since you got here, from the terrible military comments to being just plain rude to posters. I could care less if you like me or not but if your going to be a jerk you will be getting called on it.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Telling him to learn some history is not nice. Or laughing at him for asking the question. Just answer the Question without being a jerk.

You have been a problem since you got here, from the terrible military comments to being just plain rude to posters. I could care less if you like me or not but if your going to be a jerk you will be getting called on it.

Once again you are showing your bias against me, HE asked to learn the history. I was laughing at him and my own sons because of the problems of generation gap. I do not think he was offended. You have just called me an A hole and now a jerk. Good-bye, you are the hero, you all by yourself you have made made me leave this forum. I'll miss the friends I made but no matter how many compliments I have given to you, I am the bad guy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number 14 to Tagge. 4 Were made, one was donated to Hutson. Changed before any preseason games.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Ask him if he can update more, I figured he would of at least had some information on the throwback selling market. You probably then also read Chance Micheal's blog The Wearing of hte Green and Gold.

And onto the subject: Still think we should wait to retire it, most players have to wait a long time to get theirs retired anyway.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask him if he can update more, I figured he would of at least had some information on the throwback selling market. You probably then also read Chance Micheal's blog The Wearing of hte Green and Gold.

And onto the subject: Still think we should wait to retire it, most players have to wait a long time to get theirs retired anyway.

I talked to him about doing a blog entry on the throwbacks, he bought the kuhn jersey and helmet while I bought the Clay Matthews jersey. He was going to do an entry he said, not sure why he hasnt yet. I was over at his house about a month ago looking at alot of his stuff, he has a great collection.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciated ivo coming to my defense.
I felt sheepish enough asking and I felt like I was going into hot water because I had a sense the heat might get turned up on me. And it sorta (Maybe unintentionally) did.
I just want an answer without a bunch of smart aleck seeming stuff tagged on.
If G&GA wasn't laughing or mocking me then he should have made that clear in the first place.
I am one of those who isn't all that knowledgeable about the game or even the team to some degree.
None of us should be afraid to ask anything on here and just get back straight answers, which I always appreciate.

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously...

I have READ every post in this entire thread...reading EVERYONE's opinion...and I think it has been very distasteful for me.

I think they SHOULD retire Brett Favre's number. I am not covering up his mistakes, but come on people, we ALL make mistakes, big or small. He had a great career with the GB Packers, 3 MVP's, 1 SB win, and 2 NFCCG wins.

I remember someone mentioning in this forum that it was "pathetic" that he only won 1 SB in his 20 seasons. It is actually not pathetic, but pretty good. Some great/average/bad players in their entire career never make it to the Super Bowl, or even win a playoff game (i.e. Tony Gonzalez).

I'm not sure why everyone is so bitter about this. I'm actually happy because he helped the GB Packers win so much in the past. Sure, he had a lot of bad games, but he also had a lot of GREAT games.

Nobody's perfect, and I think we need to acknowledge the fact it is what it is. There is no need for more grudges and bitterness. It is absolutely nonsense and childish. Come on, Aaron Rodgers was never phased by this, and he didn't say a single word during the Favre debacle. He just the let situation play itself out.

I wish more Packer fans can just let the man be. Let the situation play it out. We all KNOW it is inevitable that Brett Favre WILL retire as a HOF and GB HOF. I'm not sure if I would want to be part of organization that wouldn't retire #4 for Brett Favre...just because it is an eye for an eye.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi

I'm letting the situation play out, and I'm enjoying the 2010 season. Time will heal these wounds...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be easier to forgive and forget if he hadn't gone to a rival team to seek revenge.

Besides, Burnt is overrated. Joe Montana and Bart Starr were better.
(Not a reason not to retire #4. Just pointing that out.)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I'm letting the situation play out, and I'm enjoying the 2010 season. Time will heal these wounds..."

Yeah, I agree. In a couple of generations Packer fans will be honoring Bart Starr and Aaron Rogers as the all-time QB greats in Green Bay.

And they'll still be talking about the astounding number of turnovers a single QB was allowed to make over 20 years.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I appreciated ivo coming to my defense.
I felt sheepish enough asking and I felt like I was going into hot water because I had a sense the heat might get turned up on me. And it sorta (Maybe unintentionally) did.
I just want an answer without a bunch of smart aleck seeming stuff tagged on.
If G&GA wasn't laughing or mocking me then he should have made that clear in the first place.
I am one of those who isn't all that knowledgeable about the game or even the team to some degree.
None of us should be afraid to ask anything on here and just get back straight answers, which I always appreciate.
Sir, you needed no defense. I was laughing because of the generation gap. I mentioned my own sons (who are huge packer fans) in my reply to you. Do you think I would mock my sons? I was chuckling about the situation because I knew were you were coming from, not mocking you. As to ivo610 chastising me for giving you a history lesson, let me quote you: "In need of a Packer History lesson, and forgive me for asking, who wore #5?"
I replied in a nice way, shared the lack of knowledge of packer history about my own sons, and for trying to be a friend I get called an "A hole" and a "jerk". I am on your side, just like I am on my sons side.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts