Remember Ross Verba?

Kleos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock: I found this over at profootballtalk.com

VERBA BLASTED IN LEAGUE CIRCLES

Though he has not yet commanded the same degree of media attention as T.O. on his demands for a new deal, Browns offensive lineman Ross Verba is getting blasted repeatedly by league insiders for his current contract.

As one league insider told us over the weekend, "Verba is one of the biggest ******** in the league. . . . [H]e is just about hated in the Cleveland locker room. He is a huge cancer."

Breaking it down simply and clearly, the source said, "He wants to get released because he thinks someone else will give him money. They will. The veteran's minimum."

Tell us, source, what you really think . . . .

"[Verba] ain't that good. He was an average player on one of the poorest teams in the league and a chronic complainer. Do you think anyone wants to pay for that? Especially at this late date? Just another case of an over inflated ego that has no clue what his real value is. If I was Cleveland, I would let him sit and fine the sh-t out of him. I would also try and get back some of his [$465,000] roster bonus they just paid him."

Speaking of bonus money, other league sources have 'splained to us that the real problem here is that Verba and his agent, Tom Condon, mishandled the situation a year ago when the team approached the veteran tackle regarding a restructuring of his contract. He was in the final year of a four-year, $16 million deal, and he was set to earn $4 million in 2004.

As we've previously argued, if Verba wanted to get paid big money, he should have refused to re-do his deal. Then, he either would have been cut last year and hit the open market, or he would have finished out his contract at $4 million in '04 and become eligible for free agency in 2005.

Instead, Verba and Condon agreed to add years to the deal, with none of the devices typically used to give the player freedom from the contract prematurely -- which can set the stage for a new contract either from the team he's already on or as an unrestricted free agent.

And to the extent that Verba believes former Browns coach Butch Davis "promised" him a new, more lucrative contract, the lesson for every player is that, if it ain't in writing, it don't mean squat. Also, these "side deals" are more officially known by a different name -- "salary cap violations."

Maybe that's why the Browns have been treading somewhat lightly on this situation thus far. If, after all, Verba decides to make a big stink about allegations that Davis made guarantees of future pay days that were not reduced to writing -- and if Davis admits that this indeed occurred -- the Browns could be in a little trouble with the league for cheating on the cap (but without the two late-'90s Super Bowl trophies to show for it).

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when I first saw that profootballtalk article I just laughed. The Pack have enough of those yahoos as is right now, thank goodness they don't have to deal with him as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts