Reggie Gilbert to the Titans for a 7th

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't see a spot for him this year. Preseason wonder, just not there during the season. Saved a spot on the 53 for Crawford.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Undrafted guy who only was only average on special teams and provided below average pass rush for 7th round. Niceeee

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don''t see the value in a 7th round pick. It's no different than an udfa in that the chances are about the same to make the team and have an impact. Cutting him would be about the same deal. Why even waste time negotiating for a pick that's no different than a free agent?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don''t see the value in a 7th round pick. It's no different than an udfa in that the chances are about the same to make the team and have an impact. Cutting him would be about the same deal. Why even waste time negotiating for a pick that's no different than a free agent?
At this point a 7th Rd. pick is more valuable then hearing his name on Saturday being cut from the 90. People talk about 7th round picks being of little value, but actually to me they are a guaranteed "signing" of an otherwise UDFA that you might be competing with multiple teams to sign.

Reaction score
One would think that, but remember too its Tennessee. They haven't won their division or finished better than 9-7 in 11 seasons. That equates to a mid 7th round pick vs picking a 7th comp 15-20 picks later. That’s a great place to find a K ;) if Crosby depreciates etc..
Also we’ve seen teams often pairing a 7th round pick to move up a bit in the draft in other rounds as a deal sweetener. That helps, especially when a division rival is selecting 3-5 picks before you day 3 etc..

As Poker said, he may have not been in the 53 plans

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Markus Jones will best out Ramsey. Nice trade by Gutes though.

Not sure there will be room for either of them. With all the questions at ILB, they may need to keep more than they wanted to and end up only being able to keep 4 OLB's (Smith, Smith, Gary, Fackrell). If they keep 5, I like "Rambo's" (Ramsey) chances. I think he was a solid UDFA signing and if he can put some bulk onto his frame, he could actually become a pretty good NFL OLB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that acquiring a seventh round pick isn't a big deal but it's definitely better than to release Gilbert. That allows the Packers to select a player in next year's draft they would have to compete with other teams in undrafted free agency otherwise.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure there will be room for either of them. With all the questions at ILB, they may need to keep more than they wanted to and end up only being able to keep 4 OLB's (Smith, Smith, Gary, Fackrell). If they keep 5, I like "Rambo's" (Ramsey) chances. I think he was a solid UDFA signing and if he can put some bulk onto his frame, he could actually become a pretty good NFL OLB.

With Zadarius and Gary being counted move inside on passing downs I expect the Packers to keep five outside linebackers on the roster. Ramsey is the favorite to make the 53 after Gilbert was traded.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
while the odds of a 7th rounder turning into a high value player is pretty low, it's something to hang on to for the future and take another swing next year. Gilbert was getting cut and was going to be of zero value going forward, something is always better than nothing. They get another swing at the plate rather than going to sit in the dugout.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two Words.

Donald Driver.

*Drops Mic*
You have the same chances of getting a Donald Driver as a free agent. Psckers got Tramon Williams as a free agent. What I'm saying is the odds of hitting the jack pot are the same between a 7th round pick and a free agent. A free agent can always replace the 7th round pick and have the same chance of making an impact. That chance is very low since Driver in 1999, there hasn't been much.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is low, but it's better than zero, which is what Gilbert was going to give us going forward.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't see value??? You would think if any fan base would understand the value that "might" be struck in the 7th round it would be GB...

Is it high value, nope. Is it even fair value, nope. It is however more value than cutting a guy, 100%. Reggie was a guy that could be a role backup for another team no doubt in my mind and that 7th easily replaces what his value was to us with the potential to become something more.

Few noteworthy 7ths from us just in the past few years that exceeded expectations I and most had: Ty Summers (yup already), Jeff Janis, Charles Johnson, Lawrence Guy, C.J. Wilson, Brad Jones, Matt Flynn, Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, DONALD DRIVER

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh, I like Ramsey too. His frame does need about another year of development, but the dude is quick. I just think Jones might be a dark horse addition to our roster. He comes in with one hell of a resume. Record setting player in NCAA Div II. I believe he lead all edge rushers in TFL last season. National Defensive Player of the Year in Div II last year. Set the team record with 17.5 sacks as a Senior. Blocked 7 kicks as a Junior at Angelo State. His added value in STs might pop him into the 53.

I agree cW that they probably keep 5 OLB.

Not seeing their needs at ILB as dire as some. But, I'm a huge Ty Summers fan, and I think he will light it up in GB. Phenomenal athlete with some serious football smarts. I really do think his showing v. BAL was an anomaly. I mean, his missed tackles that night were very much the opposite of his normal play. If he had shown well in that game like he did v. HOU and OAK, the discussion might be very different at ILB. Surprisingly, Burks looking to be back in a matter of weeks ought to help the position too. Will have to se how they add to our roster from the outside after cuts.

Hell, I'm just glad they added an R7 for Gilbert.

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts