Red Zone Scoring | Creativity on Offense

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some observations of mine as I watch this 2018 version of the Packers:

We have a good offense, with a hall of fame QB, we are just too inconsistent to continually be a big threat in the NFC at this time. We NEED to score TDs when we get into the red zone. Simple put, period. Think about how often we have driven down the field this season, only to end up settling for a field goal (an not converting all of them, ie DET and MINN.) if we want to make a run this year, we have to convert more red zone opportunities into TDs. We are currently #20 in the league in red zone scoring TDs. When 12 really came into his own in 2009, we had a creative offense that could put up points at any moment. Right now, we are missing this creativity. I think this is a direct correlation to Mike Mcarthy and his play calling. He is stale, and boring in his offensive play calling. We need to scheme our playmakers open more, create opportunity to get the ball in their hands, including 17, 80, 33, and now 83. Everything is too heavily relied on Rodgers and his natural ability. Look when 12 came back in the second half against CHI in week 1, he was in 2 minute mode, getting rid of the ball quickly, and making quick decisions, to all of our playmakers. That is the offense we need to see, more consistently. Look at the Pats opening drive last night, it was clinical, our D couldn’t catch their breath, and just got out schemed and out game planned on that opening TD. The Pats were continually changing it up and keeping our D of balance, where we did the same ole thing we’ve done all season. Had some great drives and points, a damn FG, and a handful of stalled drives with a punt. Teams like the LAR, KC, NE, CAR, etc scheme to get their playmakers the ball, and get them open, like wide open. We need to do what teams were doing to us in 2011, and steal some of their plays and play calls to get our Offense going and scoring TDs.

If things don’t change this year on Offense with more scoring and consistency, it will be the biggest part of why MM will lose his job. Thoughts?

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Red Zone Offense has been TERRIBLE

But "overall" the Offense has been stagnant, WAYYYY too many 3 and Outs and that's due to predictable playcalling and unoriginal game plans and route concepts.

I'm really getting tired of all these short throw concepts that MM has always loved

It's "West Coast" to get it out quick, but if you keep running a bunch of screens and comebacks... the league has already caught up to it

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. Ive been wondering for a while now why our offense looks so much different than others. There is NO creativity at all. It really makes no sense. I really think that McCarthy's play calling is really old fashioned. It really amazes me to see the saints, rams, chiefs and even the bears. There offenses are full of creativity. Lots of motion and movement, wide open guys. I also think that Aaron is to blame for some of this as well. He hold the ball way to long at times. I also wonder how receptive he would be to have a HC or OC that runs an offense similar to KC or the bears.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a shame considering how our offense was supposed to be unstoppable in the red zone once we signed Graham, and how our offense in general would be back to its 2011 glory once we brought back Philbin.

D

Deleted member 6794

But "overall" the Offense has been stagnant, WAYYYY too many 3 and Outs and that's due to predictable playcalling and unoriginal game plans and route concepts.

The Packers entered Sunday's game at New England with a total of 15.9% of their drives ending in three-and-outs. Only five teams had a lower rate after week 8.