Rebuild a new LaFleur offense or get what Pettine needs on defense?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been consistently drafting defense across the first 3 rounds though.

We should already have stars all over the defense.
but we don't because, until last year, a less than fully equipped person was making those decisions. until the job is complete they need to keep addressing the defensive issues through every means possible.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
but we don't because, until last year, a less than fully equipped person was making those decisions. until the job is complete they need to keep addressing the defensive issues through every means possible.

The job complete? LMAO. Rodgers will probably be retired by then at the rate we have been going. Gute is better then Thompson but other then Alexander he hasn't added anything significant to the equation.

Were out of time. We need to go all out with LaFluer and the offense IMO. This 20 year task to build a defense has worn me out.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The WR's are one injury away (Adams) from stalling our offense, IMO. We need another veteran to help because the rookies haven't shown enough to carry the load yet.

I agree with the poster above, shoring up the depth on the o-line should also be a priority as, again, one injury (Bakhtiari) would be enough to basically destroy our season.

We also have two RB's - a third should be considered and I'm not averse to them doing that day one or two if they feel there's a talented player there.

We need depth, it'll be a tall task to become competitive with the Chiefs, Pats, Rams and other highly effective offenses with the way our team is built right now.

Reaction score
Would you pass up future stars because they're on defense? I know I wouldn't.
It’s funny. I recall a poster asking a similar question a few years ago.
My answer now would be... if it’s going to get me a 22nd ranked Defense and next to last in the league in forced TOS?? And cost me 8 1st rounders in a row? I’d change my strategy real fast and at 180Degrees.
Mondio with all due respect. Because I know we both love the Pack, You also can’t provide me any more guarantees that a Defensive player is going to outplay an O player. Any argument insinuating as such is not supported by the recent woes of this Defense. The argument that D is more important is largely unsupported. They are BOTH important. If you’re going to lean a bit one way or the other? Go with Aaron Rodgers every time and build the team on his strengths.

I’m not suggesting we go in blindfolded. I have said myself that the Defensive lineman that are available at the top of the pyramid is intriguing. I think it’ll more likely a DE/OLB or DT will be our guy at #12. But once you’re past 10-15 range overall? Anything goes. All I’m saying is all things considered equal we owe it to try another philosophy. Protect and Energize our $100,000,000 investment for once.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The WR's are one injury away (Adams) from stalling our offense, IMO. We need another veteran to help because the rookies haven't shown enough to carry the load yet.

I agree with the poster above, shoring up the depth on the o-line should also be a priority as, again, one injury (Bakhtiari) would be enough to basically destroy our season.

We also have two RB's - a third should be considered and I'm not averse to them doing that day one or two if they feel there's a talented player there.

We need depth, it'll be a tall task to become competitive with the Chiefs, Pats, Rams and other highly effective offenses with the way our team is built right now.

That's just it. Adam's was healthy pretty much the whole season and we still struggled. An injury to him and your right this whole thing becomes bottom of the barrel.

Same thing with Bak as you mentioned. This offense isn't built for a 16 game season and a playoff run unless Rodgers plays like the greatest of all time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s funny. I recall a poster asking a similar question a few years ago.
My answer now would be... if it’s going to get me a 22nd ranked Defense and next to last in the league in forced TOS?? And cost me 8 1st rounders in a row? I’d change my strategy real fast and at 180Degrees.
Mondio with all due respect. Because I know we both love the Pack, You also can’t provide me any more guarantees that a Defensive player is going to outplay an O player. Any argument insinuating as such is not supported by the recent woes of this Defense. The argument that D is more important is largely unsupported. They are BOTH important. If you’re going to lean a bit one way or the other? Go with Aaron Rodgers every time and build the team on his strengths.

I’m not suggesting we go in blindfolded. I have said myself that the Defensive lineman that are available at the top of the pyramid is intriguing. I think it’ll more likely a DE/OLB or DT will be our guy at #12. But once you’re past 10-15 range overall? Anything goes. All I’m saying is all things considered equal we owe it to try another philosophy. Protect and Energize our $100,000,000 investment for once.
I’m not guaranteeing anything. I’m also not saying we need to draft offense because picking defensive players didn’t work. We’ve picked a lot of that haven’t worked well either.

And you’d like a new philosophy? Well, I saw blazing offense go 15-1 and lose it’s first playoff game because of a defense that couldn’t hang. We need impact players all over this team. I think it’s silly to argue on over the other. And that’s my point.

Reaction score
I’m not guaranteeing anything. I’m also not saying we need to draft offense because picking defensive players didn’t work. We’ve picked a lot of that haven’t worked well either.

And you’d like a new philosophy? Well, I saw blazing offense go 15-1 and lose it’s first playoff game because of a defense that couldn’t hang. We need impact players all over this team. I think it’s silly to argue on over the other. And that’s my point.
Then why the heck have we been writing Offensive overdraft fees while claiming to be putting $ in a Defensive savings account?
And with that your logic we should just keep absorbing Offensive Overdraft fees even though our O account is negative balance. That’ll get your account closed.
My argument is this. Let’s get our checking account back positive balance first. Then we can talk about D savings. Rather than continue pretending we’re saving money.
There’s absolutely, positively nothing wrong with leaning to one phase or another draft to draft. But let’s lean Offense once a decade or so (I’m sadly being serious)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then why the heck have we been writing Offensive overdraft fees while claiming to be putting $ in a Defensive savings account?
And with that your logic we should just keep absorbing Offensive Overdraft fees even though our O account is negative balance. That’ll get your account closed.
My argument is this. Let’s get our checking account back positive balance first. Then we can talk about D savings. Rather than continue pretending we’re saving money.
There’s absolutely, positively nothing wrong with leaning to one phase or another draft to draft. But let’s lean Offense once a decade or so (I’m sadly being serious)
They need to pick better football players, keep them healthy and available and that’s it. I don’t care what side of the ball they play on. Though I will say, if you’re going to go heavy on one side, I wouldnt pick a draft that is said to be higher in defensive studs and mediocre in offense at the “top” and choose to go offensive. I’d pick my highest rated players.

And outside of a part of our line, I don’t think our offense is void of talent at all.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The job complete? LMAO. Rodgers will probably be retired by then at the rate we have been going. Gute is better then Thompson but other then Alexander he hasn't added anything significant to the equation.

Were out of time. We need to go all out with LaFluer and the offense IMO. This 20 year task to build a defense has worn me out.
i hear ya but the O isn't that far off...talent wise. it could use more but the D is still the weak link.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Spot on! The whole thing is a travesty and absolutely reckless. Its not fair to Rodgers or the fans that have to endure this and hang in there hoping they pull there head out of there ***.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

And you’d like a new philosophy? Well, I saw blazing offense go 15-1 and lose it’s first playoff game because of a defense that couldn’t hang.

I'd take 15-1 and a 1 seed with a legitimate shot at a championship any day over this train wreck we have now. Call it the way it is Mondio.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with what you say except I balk at the RB early. It seems painfully obvious that we are going to have to use free agency and use it wisely.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
i hear ya but the O isn't that far off...talent wise. it could use more but the D is still the weak link.

We don't scare anyone anymore so keep believing what you want. I don't see how another round of drafting defense while hanging out at the clearance rack to continue to build the offense smart practice. Not when your best asset is 35 year old QB Aaron Rodgers.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The initial top tier talent of the draft has more defensive players than offensive.

There aren't any WR's, RB's, or TE's that I would take at 12. Perhaps if we trade back. I would love to get a guy like Jonah Williams at 12.

Deciding to take an offensive player regardless of what's available on the board is foolish. Deciding to take a defensive player regardless of what's available on the board is foolish.

Look at what's available, and what your needs are. That's usually who a team will draft. Best player available at a position of need, to a point.

But we need help on offense and defense. We need more help at OL/TE than we do at WR. We need a pass rusher or two. This ain't gonna get fixed in a year people, so buckle up. It's a process that was started a year or two too late unfortunately.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take 15-1 and a 1 seed with a legitimate shot at a championship any day over this train wreck we have now. Call it the way it is Mondio.
Ahh yeah, because the preferred choice was a season like this LOL.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The initial top tier talent of the draft has more defensive players than offensive.

There aren't any WR's, RB's, or TE's that I would take at 12. Perhaps if we trade back. I would love to get a guy like Jonah Williams at 12.

Deciding to take an offensive player regardless of what's available on the board is foolish. Deciding to take a defensive player regardless of what's available on the board is foolish.

Look at what's available, and what your needs are. That's usually who a team will draft. Best player available at a position of need, to a point.

But we need help on offense and defense. We need more help at OL/TE than we do at WR. We need a pass rusher or two. This ain't gonna get fixed in a year people, so buckle up. It's a process that was started a year or two too late unfortunately.

If they can't trade back to make it worth it and a guy like D. White or Christian Wilkins is sitting there at 12 I have no issue pulling the trigger on either of them. However, they could go RB or OL at that spot too depending on who's board your looking at.

My issue will arise if nothing is done in free agency to help the offense along with not addressing it until day 3 of the draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can't trade back to make it worth it and a guy like D. White or Christian Wilkins is sitting there at 12 I have no issue pulling the trigger on either of them. However, they could go RB or OL at that spot too depending on who's board your looking at.

My issue will arise if nothing is done in free agency to help the offense along with not addressing it until day 3 of the draft.

I think we agree! Sound the presses!

Except I don't want D. White at 12.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the Offense is an FA problem for the most part. We could improve the offensive line by signing a Guard. If LaFleur really wants WR help, a veteran would most likely do far better than a rookie. GB will have some options to add more weapons. Meanwhile defensively the way to go is the Draft. Franchise edge rushers don't hit FA often, and when they do it's for a king's ransom. But with the best talent in the Draft being on the defensive side of the ball anyways, that's where I expect the early rounds to go. You don't see any pundits ranting and raving about offensive players going inside the Top 15 save a QB and OT. Gute and LaFleur will have their options to select from Day 2 and Day 3 respectively after the entire league pretty much gets their pick of the litter on the defensive side of the ball.

I still believe in the saying that "Defense wins Championships." Look no further than the Conference Championship games. The Chiefs should have won but they barely could stop the Patriots at all. Despite the Rams being known for their high powered offense, it came out flat as Gurley struggled against the Saints but regardless of the horrible call that defense kept them in the game throughout, which allowed a critical officiating error to seal the game.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what you say except I balk at the RB early. It seems painfully obvious that we are going to have to use free agency and use it wisely.

But free agency boils down to Ingram (30 in April) Coleman (best a complimentary piece) and Yeldon (who the offensive coordinator will know a lot about). Maybe Yeldon has something to offer as a pass catching back, but I'm hesitant to sign the other two.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think we agree! Sound the presses!

Except I don't want D. White at 12.

I can see where D. White is looked at as a luxury pick due to position and needs but he is a top 5 player in the draft. So if were gonna talk best player available he would have to be considered. He would give us a Demario Davis type presence in the middle and maybe even more.

This is why I'm so pissed about "The Draft Horror Show" by Ted Thompson is we could be completely dug into a 4-3 by now with adding a guy like White to help make the defensive front elite.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To

I still believe in the saying that "Defense wins Championships." Look no further than the Conference Championship games. The Chiefs should have won but they barely could stop the Patriots at all. Despite the Rams being known for their high powered offense, it came out flat as Gurley struggled against the Saints but regardless of the horrible call that defense kept them in the game throughout, which allowed a critical officiating error to seal the game.

If defense wins championships the superbowl would be the Bears vs. the Ravens. The league has transitioned to high octane offenses. The Rams, Chiefs, Pats and Saints were all within the top 5 in total offense. There isn't really a great defense amongst those 4 teams.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But free agency boils down to Ingram (30 in April) Coleman (best a complimentary piece) and Yeldon (who the offensive coordinator will know a lot about). Maybe Yeldon has something to offer as a pass catching back, but I'm hesitant to sign the other two.

I'm not interested in any RB even close to age 30.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd be down too make a run at Dee Ford and sign a mid-tier safety and add Jaylon Ferguson in the second round while re-signing Wilkerson and letting Pettine figure it out.

They need to develop Burks and Josh Jackson and Josh Jones. Kevin King needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
To me the Offense is an FA problem for the most part. We could improve the offensive line by signing a Guard. If LaFleur really wants WR help, a veteran would most likely do far better than a rookie. GB will have some options to add more weapons. Meanwhile defensively the way to go is the Draft. Franchise edge rushers don't hit FA often, and when they do it's for a king's ransom. But with the best talent in the Draft being on the defensive side of the ball anyways, that's where I expect the early rounds to go. You don't see any pundits ranting and raving about offensive players going inside the Top 15 save a QB and OT. Gute and LaFleur will have their options to select from Day 2 and Day 3 respectively after the entire league pretty much gets their pick of the litter on the defensive side of the ball.

Time for the defense to scour through the clearance rack and shop on "day 3".

Reaction score
They need to pick better football players, keep them healthy and available and that’s it. I don’t care what side of the ball they play on. Though I will say, if you’re going to go heavy on one side, I wouldnt pick a draft that is said to be higher in defensive studs and mediocre in offense at the “top” and choose to go offensive. I’d pick my highest rated players.
Nobody said pick lower rated players so I’m not sure who that’s in response to. I’ve been largely saying it’s likeky we go D pick #12 this year. We both are saying the same thing there.
But that’s not what I contested at all, I said IF we go D at #12 we’d hetter be prepared to hit the O with some major juice. Once we’re looking at #30 the “top” has already been taken off IMO. It’s time to focus on O needs. As far as this whole BAP slogan we’re holdinig onto so tightly. Let’s read into it s little here. ...
You do realize when the FO said BAP they didn’t mean run the team off a cliff. IMO they meant if there are several players waiting to get picked you go BAP lining up with your future needs. Let’s use our Common Sense here.. they expected us to when they made that comment not so literally. Your not going to take a Center Rated at 39 in round 2 when you gave a OT rated at 41. That’s be ridiculous.
As a dramatic example our GM wouldn’t go OG, OT, OG, OT, RB, RB, RB, OT, OG, RB, OG, jusf because when our number is up we have that player rated BAP higher. That would get you run out of this league.

There will be plenty of available Quality Offense comparable to the Defense going into day 2 trust me.
PS. How were we suppose to keep AR healthy exactly?? The whole reason he’s getting mauled is my argument we should stop ignoring the O in the first place. This is like banging my head against a wall.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts