Rebuild a new LaFleur offense or get what Pettine needs on defense?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
With free agency looming and the draft on the horizon I'm hearing a lot of player names that fans want. Unfortunately with only so many resources available to acquire new players what do people believe is more important to get the Packers back to WINNING?

Thoughts?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With free agency looming and the draft on the horizon I'm hearing a lot of player names that fans want. Unfortunately with only so many resources available to acquire new players what do people believe is more important to get the Packers back to WINNING?
Answered your own question
acquire new players
Gee another day, another who do you want in FA /Draft thread.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Answered your own question

Gee another day, another who do you want in FA /Draft thread.

I made this thread to see what other people think is more important whether it be stacking the offense or the defense with the available resources that give us the best chance of winning.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they need to approach equally, I also think the offense has many more weapons and talent than it seems like and they simply need to be used properly. Meaning changing up the playbook and Rodgers becoming more trusting of his receivers based on the play call.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We hired an offensive-minded head coach. We're not going to take what strengths we have as a coaching staff and try to build a defensive juggernaut instead. I mean, it would be nice to have a perennial top ten defense, but I think with hiring Lafleur the intention was to help get us back to having a top 5 offense - therefore he'll need top 5 playmakers.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd lean most towards helping the offense and getting the best o-line possible since AR outside of 2015-2016 has been injured every season since 2013.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We hired an offensive-minded head coach. We're not going to take what strengths we have as a coaching staff and try to build a defensive juggernaut instead. I mean, it would be nice to have a perennial top ten defense, but I think with hiring Lafleur the intention was to help get us back to having a top 5 offense - therefore he'll need top 5 playmakers.

So does that mean you expect the Packers to draft all offense with there top draft picks and add a few defensive players on day 3?

Basically the opposite of how they been drafting?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So does that mean you expect the Packers to draft all offense with there top draft picks and add a few defensive players on day 3?

Basically the opposite of how they been drafting?

I'd prefer they take the best player on the board at areas we need depth. I think we should see the draft as less fill in the gaps on this team, and more build for the future if we can. Free agency should be a tool we continue to use to help us build the offense to what we want it to be when we know a rookie won't cut it and we have a clear need for a player (TE last year, slot WR IMO this year).

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd prefer they take the best player on the board at areas we need depth. I think we should see the draft as less fill in the gaps on this team, and more build for the future if we can. Free agency should be a tool we continue to use to help us build the offense to what we want it to be when we know a rookie won't cut it and we have a clear need for a player (TE last year, slot WR IMO this year).

What about the Saints(two years ago) and Colts(last year) being able to draft players that contributed immediately and helped them win now?

Reaction score
I think you know how I feel but just to be sure ;)

I’d like to see leaning Offense for once this decade or so :whistling:
Although it’s looking more n more like the very top of the draft board is heavily loaded with D talent so that might be the big exception

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the Saints(two years ago) and Colts(last year) being able to draft players that contributed immediately and helped them win now?

Or our 2009 draft. Plug holes, draft and develop was the Ted Thompson way. We have a new GM now with a new strategy. He signed vets to play CB while the rookies watched to start the year (House, Tramon) and then went heavy at CB/WR. Perhaps he'll continue that trend and keep vets on the field, while making rookies earn their opportunities.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defence.

Our offense has enough talent. Its the play design and call that sucked and we've fixed that. Once AR12 gets back in form it'll cruise. Probably a O-Liner in 2nd or 3rd round and maybe another one 5th or 6th and we'll be good to go.

Defensive Backs, Edge Rushers... We need them asap. 2 of top 3 picks should be on D.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally, you'd like to do some of both. Realistically, the defense needs to get better.

Aaron Rodgers is still an effective quarterback, but he's probably not going to put up 30+ points a week every week anymore, no matter who you put around him. That being the case, you need a defense capable of making some stops, and for me, that starts with the ability to pressure and get to the other team's quarterback. My two cents.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill take some Dline, oline, linebackers and then DBs. Then whatever.

We need stability in the oline and protection. Sure we could use weapons, but we have 2 capable RBs, Adams, at least 2 promising rookies heading into year 2. Some other young guys who have shown they’re at least capable, and probably some additions.Graham “should” be more productive.

Cupboards are stacked but they aren’t exactly bare either. We paid our QB 100+ million. He’s not the guy we need to trade high round draft picks for short term headaches, or surround with pro bowlers. He doesnt have chicken liver he's throwing to, they’re young and talented. I'm sure the complexity of the offense affected the working relationship of the vet QB and the new guys, so i hope to see a similar change in performance this year out of the offense, as we saw out of our defense when things were simplified some.

He’s a QBs that should make other receivers money. They should thrive here and get paid. If he can’t do that, we paid the wrong man. I think he can. But i don't think we need to be making huge investments in WR's or anything. If they think they have the next TG at TE, pick him. But there's a mark Tauscher sitting there too, I'd rather take him. and move to defense. WE need DL, inside and outside Linebacker, likely another DB. King can never stay healthy and Breeland might move on to more money. and Safeties. We need 2 of them

Reaction score
I think this draft is better for defense, HOWEVER!, I am sick of us wasting time on the defense. We have funneled enough picks into the defense for a while imo. I would just say screw it and go offense. We may not stop ya, but maybe we can hang in a shootout

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 12 we will have to go defensive front 7, except when Jonah Williams is available. Otherwise I do not see any value on offense there. And even then I prefer to get a defensive player if any of Gary/Ferrell/Oliver/White is available. If none of these guys are available, try to move down roughly 5-10 spots and pick up an extra second rounder if you can.

At 30, 44 and 76 Id like to see at least 2 picks go towards the offense, be it 2 weapons or 1 weapon and 1 OL. Personally I dont really care what offensive skill position they draft (since imo we need one of each), as long as there is value there. The TE and WR classes seem pretty deep so I am not in favor of panick drafting on these positions. If we miss out on Hollywood Brown at the edge of the first round, there will be a good shot that we can draft Samuels/Hardman in the 3rd of Isabella in the 4th. If we miss out Hockenson with our 2nd first rounder, chances are Irv Smith will be there in the 2nd or some other interesting projects in Wilson, Mack or Sternberger are there at the beginning of day 3. If we decide to draft a RB Id prefer a leg churner such as Harris or Snell in the 3rd or 4th respectively.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I just dont understand this continued massive call for defense. If you look back at "when the Packers were contenders" you can easily see the Packers did a good job of supplementing the offense with solid 2-3 round picks.

Since 2013 not so much and its showed. LaFleur isnt gonna turn this current offensive roster elite just like Pettine couldnt do it with the acquired talent on defense last year.

Reaction score
I also don’t get the fascination with D throughout the entire day 1 and 2 draft. It has proven unsuccessful in strategy thus far. We have an opportunity to get 1-2 upper echelon D playmakers through FA. Grab a S and LB and then Be smart and sign some value players like Mo and Breeland and then get 1 bonified starter at pick #12 for the front seven.
But other than that?

Brian Bulaga ain’t gettin’ any younger. The guys good but not worth keeping in 2020 either unless we work a miracle deal. Get his replacement now. It takes a year to get acclimated at O Tackle anyway.

I’d seriously consider a RB to pair with Aaron Jones or a WR to pair with Davante by #44. Let’s give Aaron a weapon b4 5th round grade stuff. We lost Montgomery so we really need to find that dual
Threat guy again.

Last edited:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd lean most towards helping the offense and getting the best o-line possible since AR outside of 2015-2016 has been injured every season since 2013.
A big THIS!!!!!!!!!!

Me want large people.
Me want large people that eat much food.
Me want large people that bathe in olympic sized swimming pools.
Me want large people that create polar vortexes when they inhale and exhale.
Me want large people that must go up the tunnel at Lambeau single file.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I also don’t get the fascination with D throughout the entire day 1 and 2 draft. It has proven unsuccessful in strategy thus far.

Some people right or wrong are gonna go down with a "sinking ship". I saw it with Dom Capers and ultimately Ted Thompson.

If the defense was a piece or two away I could see trying to make that work but were far from that. All these defensive picks and other then a few guys were still pretty much at square one.

Now Rodgers is 35 and we are behind the 8 ball to make the offense relevant again.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
From 2008 through 2018 Aaron has been sacked 403 times and if he plays until 40 he could be at 586 assuming the trend continues (I hope it doesn't). In contrast, Drew Brees has been sacked 269 times from 2008-2018 and a total of 395 over his entire career going back to 2001. In his run as the Saints QB he has only missed 1 game due to injury. Every sack has a risk of being a season or even a career ending injury.

How can you justify not making the O-line a priority?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don’t get the fascination with D throughout the entire day 1 and 2 draft. It has proven unsuccessful in strategy thus far. We have an opportunity to get 1-2 upper echelon D playmakers through FA. Grab a S and LB and then Be smart and sign some value players like Mo and Breeland and then get 1 bonified starter at pick #12 for the front seven.
But other than that?

Brian Bulaga ain’t gettin’ any younger. The guys good but not worth keeping in 2020 either unless we work a miracle deal. Get his replacement now. It takes a year to get acclimated at O Tackle anyway.

I’d seriously consider a RB to pair with Aaron Jones or a WR to pair with Davante by #44. Let’s give Aaron a weapon b4 5th round grade stuff. We lost Montgomery so we really need to find that dual
Threat guy again.
Mo was No value. it happens. Breeland, that situation has happened how often in this league? rarely to never and he didn't provide much value until later in the season when it didn't matter anyway. He's going to cost a lot more to keep him. I think he'll be more in the high cost to retain FA category than the value signing one.

But D is the most often picked across the entire league in the first round with a few exceptions. GB has not been unique in that regard. and this year, all accounts are a defensive talent heavy early round. Would you pass up future stars because they're on defense? I know I wouldn't.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
better D will take pressure off the O to have to come from behind so much. so i think the player improvement concentration needs to be there. better D equals more stops. less time on the field.

a more efficient O will take pressure off the D by sustaining time consuming drives and getting points. that's a philosophical change. the talent is there. it (Rodgers) just needs to be persuaded to change. an o-line upgrade/bolstering would be nice. a Cobb replacement. a Graham replacement/upgrade (if he's let go) are key offensive objectives.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Mo was No value. it happens. Breeland, that situation has happened how often in this league? rarely to never and he didn't provide much value until later in the season when it didn't matter anyway. He's going to cost a lot more to keep him. I think he'll be more in the high cost to retain FA category than the value signing one.

But D is the most often picked across the entire league in the first round with a few exceptions. GB has not been unique in that regard. and this year, all accounts are a defensive talent heavy early round. Would you pass up future stars because they're on defense? I know I wouldn't.

The Packers have been consistently drafting defense across the first 3 rounds though.

We should already have stars all over the defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been consistently drafting defense across the first 3 rounds though.

We should already have stars all over the defense.
it hasn't happened. I know that, it doesn't mean you just stop when you still NEED. No doubt they have to get better. But we still NEED, DL, both linebacking positions, 2 safeties and likely another DB depending on King/injuries and Breeland staying or going. If those aren't addressed we still won't be better and I don't care how many 1st round WR's you give Rodgers. He got paid 130 million dollars, he better make some of these guys better than they are or it's a bad deal. Oline? Certainly, if someone great is there, you take him. just like if the DT's are graded far above at that point then other positions, you take that one or Linebacker or Safety.

Members online

Latest posts