Really, MM bragging about our Defense

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:shock:Really, MM bragging about our Defense
From the Green Bay Press-Gazzett

[I]Green Bay Packers coaches haven’t been shy in recent weeks about pointing to their No. 4 ranking in total defense as evidence Dom Capers’ scheme is working.[/i]

I am all about pumping up your team with confidence before a game, but to brag about your defense after you allowed the worst team in the league with a rookie QB to score 38 Pt's, come on.

I can't believe we have a 4th ranked defense, but if you look at who we have played, I can see how the numbers could work out in our favor. In statistics you throw out the extremes, I wonder where we would rank if we could do this fairly to get a true ranking.

Does anyone on the forum truly believe that Dallas is preparing to go against a top 5 defense this Sunday? Do you thing the players and coaches of the Dallas Cowboys are putting the Pack on that pedestal?

There is some serious denial in MM. He is in complete denial or he knows the ship is sinking and he is doing everything he can to protect his own butt.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the article?
-
About the D, we're a great run D. That much I give to Capers.

But we have ZERO pass rush. So, in essence, as long as teams don't go one-dimentional, but pass the majority of the time, we lose.

Specially if you take into consideration that we usually start at our own 15 and they start at our own 15.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explosive Dallas Cowboys biggest test yet for Green Bay Packers defense

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...xplosive-Cowboys-biggest-test-yet-for-defense

Green Bay Packers coaches haven’t been shy in recent weeks about pointing to their No. 4 ranking in total defense as evidence Dom Capers’ scheme is working.

Well, if ever there were a week to back up the stats, this is it.On a two-game losing skid and their playoff hopes realistically on the line, Capers’ crew must tackle the unenviable task of stopping Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys offense, as effective and explosive a unit as the NFL has seen over the past month.
“They lead the league in yards per play (6.5), they’re No. 1 in the league — I think that tells you a lot,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said this week. “Our defensive staff feels it's the best offense we've played to date, as far as the ability to run it and throw the football.”
And that’s saying something, considering the Packers have faced the Minnesota Vikings of Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre twice already, as well as the Cincinnati Bengals of Cedric Benson and Carson Palmer.

Statistically, the Cowboys blow away both of those offenses, and they’re remarkably balanced, too. They’re No. 3 in total offense (404.5 yards per game), No. 6 in passing (265.9) and No. 8 in rushing (138.6) on the strength of a three-pronged rushing attack, an elite tight end, the emergence of fourth-year receiver Miles Austin and the efficiency of Romo, who has a 111.9 passer rating during the Cowboys’ four-game winning streak.

“They’ve got a lot of playmakers, good offensive line,” Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins said. “We’re really going to have to make sure every play’s strong at all fronts and maintain a complete game for four quarters.”

For all of the numbers, that’s something the Packers have yet to do this season against the better offenses they’ve faced.

Benson ran wild for 141 yards on 29 carries (4.9 average) as the Packers blew two seven-point leads in a 31-24 loss on Sept. 20. They’ve stopped the run well otherwise, holding seven other opponents to a shade less than 3.3 yards per carry combined. But Favre carved them up in both meetings with Minnesota, posting gaudy passer ratings of 135.3 and 128.6 as the Vikings swept the season series.

The Packers allowed 336 yards per game in those three losses — 53.1 more than their season average — and have yet to face an offense that currently sits in the top 10. That changes on Sunday, when they’ll face their toughest test yet since switching to Capers’ 3-4 in the offseason.

It starts up front for the Cowboys, whose enormous (average size: 6-foot-6, 327 pounds), battle-tested offensive line has 45 seasons’ combined experience and can swallow up smaller opposing fronts.

“They’re big, lot of experience,” Jenkins said. “A lot of the time, if you don’t have good technique, their size can really become a problem.”

The Cowboys work extensively from two-tight end sets and can create mismatches with five-time Pro Bowl pick Jason Witten (team-high 44 catches for 391 yards) and athletic second-year pro Martellus Bennett (nine catches, 90 yards). The Packers figure to counter with their nickel and dime packages to match up cornerback Charles Woodson in the slot against Witten, especially because their best coverage linebacker, Brandon Chillar, is expected to miss a second straight game with a broken hand.

But that could expose the Packers on the perimeter, where Austin’s combination of size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and speed (4.47 at the 2006 scouting combine) has given defenses fits since he entered the lineup Oct. 11 at Kansas City. He had 10 catches for 250 yards and two touchdowns that day and is up to 27 receptions, 612 yards and seven scores for the season, establishing him as the clear No. 1 receiver ahead of Patrick Crayton (22-365-2) and Roy Williams (19-324-2).

If Woodson’s in the slot, the Packers could use veteran Al Harris as a shadow or have him take turns with No. 3 cornerback Tramon Williams and perhaps dime back Jarrett Bush on Austin, who had his first career 100-yard game in last September’s matchup at Lambeau Field.

“He’s running some pretty good routes,” Tramon Williams said. “For the most part, it’s been just him making plays, breaking tackles. He’s catching 10-yard routes and breaking tackles and taking them for long distance.”

The Packers also must find a way to pressure Romo on a day they could be replacing top pass rusher Aaron Kampman (concussion) with rookie outside linebacker Brad Jones, who has yet to play an NFL snap on defense.

“He’s making good decisions with the ball,” Woodson said of Romo, who’s thrown 13 touchdowns this season against only five interceptions, including nine and one during the streak.
“He has a real quick release, and he’s a guy that can make things happen when things break down for him in the pocket.”

All of which is without mentioning the trio of running backs — bruiser Marion Barber, speedy Felix Jones and Wildcat/scatback Tashard Choice — who already have combined for 994 rushing yards and eight touchdowns.

But Capers’ crew knows well the Cowboys’ talent won’t be an excuse after kickoff.
No matter what the numbers say so far, it’s on the Packers defense to turn its finest performance of the season on Sunday.

“We all here on the defense, we’ve got that chemistry,” Tramon Williams said. “We know that, ‘Hey, man, we’ve got to win,’ and whatever that takes, we have to do it. Easier said than done, but I think we can do it. I know we can do it.

“Guys have to come out and play and not worry about mistakes, not play conservative, whatever it may be. Just come out and just play to win. That’s it.”

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the article?
-
About the D, we're a great run D. That much I give to Capers.

But we have ZERO pass rush. So, in essence, as long as teams don't go one-dimentional, but pass the majority of the time, we lose.

Specially if you take into consideration that we usually start at our own 15 and they start at our own 15.

I guess I am not talking details here, but the big picture. If the Packer organization can not be honest with themselves, how are we going to get any better. Don't pat yourself on the back or give yourself accolades until you have done something.

If the season ended today, we lose the division and would not be a wild card team and the last game we played they scored 38 Pt's.

Just not the time or place.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OR you could just've pasted the link to it...

Anyway, I stand by what I said.

So you agree we have a top 5 defense and thats something we should be bragging about going into the Dallas game? I am not saying our defense is trash, and they are all worthless. They are competitive at times have have a lot of growth potential to become a top defense, but not at this time.

I guess I hear MM saying he is doing a great job, I just don't see it yet. As a fan I see potential and I see things like the run stopping as hope.

I think statements like these make the Packers look foolish.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you agree we have a top 5 defense and thats something we should be bragging about going into the Dallas game? I am not saying our defense is trash, and they are all worthless. They are competitive at times have have a lot of growth potential to become a top defense, but not at this time.

I guess I hear MM saying he is doing a great job, I just don't see it yet. As a fan I see potential and I see things like the run stopping as hope.

I think statements like these make the Packers look foolish.
Did you read what I said?

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you read what I said?

I guess my point is really not about the defense, rather were is the mind set of MM and the coaching staff to be making these kind of statements?

I guess I read about the "come to jesus meetings" where I think possibly progress can be made, then I read this.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my point is really not about the defense, rather were is the mind set of MM and the coaching staff to be making these kind of statements?

I guess I read about the "come to jesus meetings" where I think possibly progress can be made, then I read this.
But it's not contraditory. The "come to jesus metting" was a players' decision. Like, I think it was Doughsellz said, if we pull a playoffs berth, it speaks much more of the veteran leadership in the locker room than of the coaches.

I, for one, am already set on McCarthy. Like C.D. Angeli said, if when he was the QB Coach, the season Favre threw his most ints of his career, he couldn't hold one person accountable, what makes anyone think that he'll be able to do it with a 53 man roster?

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:sFun_DeadHorse:
But it's not contraditory. The "come to jesus metting" was a players' decision. Like, I think it was Doughsellz said, if we pull a playoffs berth, it speaks much more of the veteran leadership in the locker room than of the coaches.

I, for one, am already set on McCarthy. Like C.D. Angeli said, if when he was the QB Coach, the season Favre threw his most ints of his career, he couldn't hold one person accountable, what makes anyone think that he'll be able to do it with a 53 man roster?

So I am pretty much I'm beating a dead horse here.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much...

I think it's a consensus that McCarthy is a lousy lifeless ********* who just cannot motivate anyone.

During the day:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By night:

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but why isn't Raji in more? Still nagging injuries of is Pickett really playing that much better?

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

In this instance, we know Green Bay can handle the Detroit's, the Cleveland's, etc. However, the Packers defense struggles mightily with decent offenses, the least of which was Tampa Bay.

So the rushing defense is "ranked" better for 2009. Big deal. Is anybody really confident the defense can hold current division-leading and wild-card leading teams to 20 points or fewer, which is a reasonable number for a defense with playoff aspirations? New Orleans? Minnesota? Philadelphia? Dallas? I don't possess the confidence at this point. It's a decent start in the right direction, but the defense is nowhere near where it needs to be from an overall perspective.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett is playing lights out.

Raji is playing. He's just not making any kind of impact. I want to believe it's still the injury nagging him...

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but why isn't Raji in more? Still nagging injuries of is Pickett really playing that much better?

I think a combination, Pickett is playing well and I think Raji combined with the hold out and injury is one of those player who needs a season to break him in.

I am not saying our defensive line can't improve, but as well as they are playing now, the decision to draft Raji as far as need compared to the O-line is not looking good for TT. Not saying that 2 to 4 years from now we will be regretting drafting Raji, I 'm sure we will be glad we have him.

Just think what our defensive line would be if our high first round draft picks were starting and playing like first rounders. Raji is slow to develop and Harrell can't get healthy enough. That one game when Hawk only had 9 snaps, was a pretty bad day for our high first round picks, two did not even put pads on and one barely played. Combine taking Kampman and playing him out of position, thats a lot of money (20 million) producing very little.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So go get it ;)

Unless you have any proof, you can BELIEVE that he's just not good, and that he's fully healthy, or you can BELIEVE he still have the injury, or at least isn't 100%.

Whatever helps ya get thru the day - no skin off my back.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad someone knows on here how a certain player is feeling and what his injury status is. What a miracle!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the day:

By night (UPDATED):

Appears to be some peculiar similarities, not the least of which is the waistline.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the day:

By night (UPDATED):

Appears to be some peculiar similarities, not the least of which is the waistline.
Nah... Still think Crennel is a bigger slouch... But it's fit (no pun intended).

Members online

Latest posts