Rasul Douglas back on a 3 year deal

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m betting structured about 6, 8 and 9.5 cap hits or so. I hate judging anything till I see structure.

I love the deal if he as minimum 80% of what he was last year…paying for first breakout years are tough. Hit and he will QUICKLY become underpaid in a big and massive way….miss it and Kidcudi with complain and declare Gute ignorance again only once he sees how it failed…for the record if it goes well he will never give kudos.

Reaction score
I’m betting structured about 6, 8 and 9.5 cap hits or so. I hate judging anything till I see structure.

I love the deal if he as minimum 80% of what he was last year…paying for first breakout years are tough. Hit and he will QUICKLY become underpaid in a big and massive way….miss it and Kidcudi with complain and declare Gute ignorance again only once he sees how it failed…for the record if it goes well he will never give kudos.
Gute is the smartest idiot Ever!
(Just covering my bases for his success and failure!)

Seriously though this is huge! CB is at most a tertiary need now. We should start looking closer at CB outside those first 4 selections unless there’s just a stupid, unexpected top prospect slide (please no more Josh Jackson)
We are narrowing the draft “position” field. WR, OT/OG, DT, Edge, TE

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Douglas and hope that he produces. I question paying that money to a 3rd outside CB, who also only produced for 1/2 a season. It's a gamble but so is $50M to Rodgers. We are going all-in as best we can.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Resigning Douglas concerned me because last year was so much better than anything else we have seen in his career, but the Packers totally mitigated that risk with this deal.

7M is low end nickel money in this market. If he’s anything like he was last year, it’s a bargain.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Resigning Douglas concerned me because last year was so much better than anything else we have seen in his career, but the Packers totally mitigated that risk with this deal.

7M is low end nickel money in this market. If he’s anything like he was last year, it’s a bargain.
And getting thin at corner isn't something I'm comfortable risking.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved Douglas and hope that he produces. I question paying that money to a 3rd outside CB, who also only produced for 1/2 a season. It's a gamble but so is $50M to Rodgers. We are going all-in as best we can.

Rasul Douglas is really just a defensive back. He can play the safety position. I would imagine after several years of Kevin King, and using Douglas in nickel and dime packages along with matching up on TEs will only highlight his value.

Teams like LAR, TB, Minnesota, Dallas, and other teams have talented WR groups and utilizing 3 top flight CBs (Alexander, Stokes, and Douglas) against these receivers is absolutely necessary.

GB is smart to keep the defensive core in tact. A player like Douglas alleviates and enhances the other 10 players on the defensive side.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rasul Douglas is really just a defensive back.
I agree except I would not say "just" a DB. As you said, he made the D better. I guess I know what you mean though. There's a reason the good corners get the big bucks. Mainly, it's called speed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frees up more BPA weight on all our picks than need forcing them to a spot. WR and DL are about the only two position I’d argue we have to get within those first four picks

Reaction score
Frees up more BPA weight on all our picks than need forcing them to a spot. WR and DL are about the only two position I’d argue we have to get within those first four picks
I’m not sure at all what Mercilus is thinking after a cheap deal. However he had limited action before the biceps injury. Id be interested in kicking the tires and seeing if he’d come back team friendly.
Some other guys at the top of our leftovers list are MVS, Tonyan, Kelly, Malik, Rivers and Moore.

Of the grouping of Yiadom, Black, King or Sully? I’d consider King or Sully if they take somewhere from vet minimum to 3m range yearly tops. I’d rather draft a Safety and CB between rounds 3-7

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure at all what Mercilus is thinking after a cheap deal. However he had limited action before the biceps injury. Id be interested in kicking the tires and seeing if he’d come back team friendly.
Some other guys at the top of our leftovers list are MVS, Tonyan, Kelly, Malik, Rivers and Moore.

Im not interested in Yiadom or Black as I’m seeing multiple goof ups and I don’t like paying for project hopefuls. I’d take King before either of those 2. I’d rather draft a Day 3 guy to fill their shoes and take my chances.

I would hope Gute has called Mercilus and Whitney knows where GB is and he’s waiting to see if anyone does better.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good good, now restructure/extend alexander's contract and the packers will have a pretty solid secondary.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rasul played well in the Packers' defense. He seems like a good team guy, and is quite the competitor.

Reaction score
good good, now restructure/extend alexander's contract and the packers will have a pretty solid secondary.
Stokes, Douglas, Alexander, Savage, Amos.
That’s a really solid starting group as a whole. Not sure the depth is all that great. Might need to resign either Sully or King depending on $$. If we can get King on the cheap I’d prefer him. He’s played that RCB position, plus seemed to play decent at Nickel.
Now Let’s go sign another CB rounds 3-5 area. Also possible a Day 3 Safety would be nice. Would be nice to get another DB that has ST prowess as his second suit.

Last edited:

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad he's back... I liked him coming out of college.

Can't believe he was floundering around on the Cardinals practice squad.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a really solid starting group as a whole. Not sure the depth is all that great. Might need to resign either Sully or King depending on $$. If we can get King on the cheap I’d prefer him. He’s played that RCB position, plus seemed to play decent at Nickel.
Now Let’s go sign another CB rounds 3-5 area. Also possible a Day 3 Safety would be nice. Would be nice to get another DB that has ST prowess as his second suit.
Not King...no no no

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a 3rd safety is the way to go. It would unlock another level in the defense. The nickel/dime package with a 3rd saftey would be crazy. Also, if that 3rd safety has any pass rushing skills then the defense could be formidable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Demovsky has no idea how the cap works. If Douglas receives $7 million in cash this season the deal could still be backloaded if a signing bonus in included.

Clearly. He is merely discussing it in the sense most fans think of contracts in...which is why so many are confused all the time, he should do better clearly.

Members online

No members online now.