Ranking The Top 10 Best And Worst Packers Of All Time

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 10:
1: Aaron Rodgers- anyone who doesn’t have Rodgers at #1 has an invalid list IMO. The fact he’s putting up MVP seasons this pre in his career with a poor supporting cast expresses his dominance.
2: Don Hudson- never got a chance to see him play but his numbers speak on his dominance. His TD record stood for 42 years and he averaged .85 TDs per game which is still a record to this day.
3: Reggie White- short lived Packer player but in terms of just pure dominance and talent he needs to be top 3.
4: Brett Favre- one of the all time great QBs. Say what you want about him and his turnovers but his toughness but at another level.
5: Sterling Sharpe- I do believe Sharpe was one of the most physically dominant receivers of all time. Speed, strength, and skill. If Reggie is in my top 3 for the same example of dominance I think it would be hypocritical for me to exclude Sharpe.
6: Bart Starr- tough to place Bart honesty. On one hand statistically he wasn’t very good but he was most certainly a winner.
7:Ray Nitschke- another player I never got to see play but just a true leader of a dominant defense that terrorized the league on its way to a multitude of championships.
8: Jim Taylor- statistically dominant runner that over the way for Lombardis offense. In a running error he was heads above the rest.
9: Charles Woodson- where I think Woodson truly shined was as a leader. That SB team didn’t really have a veteran leader. All the stars on that team were young up and comers. Woodson was the voice. A damn good player along the way as well.
10: Forrest Gregg- tough to keep some of these guys out but no respectable list has Gregg off it. He was too dominant compared to his peers in his era.

Worst:
1: Ahmad Carroll- by far to this day one of the worst CBs I’ve ever seen play the game.
2: Brian Brohm- Brohm was a 2nd round pick that couldn’t beat out a 7th round Matt Flynn and was quickly cut from the team after 1 year. This is truly the definition of a bum.
3: Jamal Reynolds- this guy was absolutely useless. And we traded up for him.
4: Bustin Harrell- what makes this pick so bad is everyone saw it coming. Injured player coming out and shouldn’t have been taken anywhere near where he was taken. He spent more time in the medical room than he did on the field.
5: Quinnen Rollins- this pick was baffling to me. The whole draft class was. Rollins was a basketball player too small and slow for the NBA so he tried football. Naturally he excelled at a poor football program but when he got to the league ge was what he was as a basketball player. Too small and slow. He was gone after 2 seasons.
6: Kevin King- I don’t want to hear it from the defenders. This guy is awful. Not only can he never be on the field, he’s poor when he’s on it, and he shows no heart. I have a bottle of scotch I’ve been saving since Kings the season I have been waiting to open upon his release. I thought it was to be last year… lord willing it will be opened in a few months.
7: Tony Mandarich- I’ve never believed he was as bad as everyone made him out to be. It was just those taken around him ended up being hall of famers and he became a **** burglar.
8: Datone Jones- A truly baffling pick. Not athletic enough to be an edge, not big enough to play 5 tech. He was basically useless. In fact we tried him at end and edge and he sucked at both.
9: Terrell Buckley- just not a good player taken in the top 5 and gone in 3 years.
10: Damarious Randall- this pick caused a chain reaction of decisions that would set the Packers back half a decade at least. In my opinion the all time worst attitude/poor player combo in my time watching. He was a bad player but blamed everyone but himself. Like Rollins, Randall was a baseball player. A very good outfielder who threw out his shoulder so transitioned to football where he excelled as a safety before playing CB his final year. Unfortunately the Packers wanted to play him as a CB where he struggled before ultimately being traded for peanuts before his rookie deal ended. This pick led to the departure of Hyde and Hayward. When Randall and Rollins failed it forced the selection of King. When King failed it forced the selection of Jaire and Jackson. When Jackson failed it forced the selection of Stokes.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that if King isn't on the team, the Packers win the Super Bowl in 2020?
No, I'm saying that King's disasterous performance cost them a trip to the Super Bowl vs KC. Beating KC was possible but they sure could've lost that game too. When TT passed up the chance to draft TJ Watt and took King, I was quite perturbed having been to Badger games and seen the impact that Watt could make. That decision was as costly as passing up Barry Sanders to take Mandarich.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No, I'm saying that King's disasterous performance cost them a trip to the Super Bowl vs KC. Beating KC was possible but they sure could've lost that game too. When TT passed up the chance to draft TJ Watt and took King, I was quite perturbed having been to Badger games and seen the impact that Watt could make. That decision was as costly as passing up Barry Sanders to take Mandarich.
So now you are saying it was TT's fault we didn't go to a SB because he drafted King and not Watt? I can pick out even bigger mistakes than that or how King played in 1 game, that cost the Packers a potential shot at a SB.

Granted, I wanted the Packers to draft TJ, but that was a long time ago. We have no clue how things would have panned out for him in GB. Maybe he blows his knee out his rookie year and is never the same. King is drafted by the Steelers and is a Pro Bowler.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2: Brian Brohm- Brohm was a 2nd round pick that couldn’t beat out a 7th round Matt Flynn and was quickly cut from the team after 1 year. This is truly the definition of a bum.
In line with my other post that we might be better served with different threads/categories for best/worst, this one would go in the draft choice discussion. No question he was a terrible QB, but he couldn't be one of the 10 worst Packers since he never played for them.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now you are saying it was TT's fault we didn't go to a SB because he drafted King and not Watt? I can pick out even bigger mistakes than that or how King played in 1 game, that cost the Packers a potential shot at a SB.

Granted, I wanted the Packers to draft TJ, but that was a long time ago. We have no clue how things would have panned out for him in GB. Maybe he blows his knee out his rookie year and is never the same. King is drafted by the Steelers and is a Pro Bowler.
I would rather judge players and front office moves by performance rather than hypotheticals. I don't blame TT that much for drafting King because it was apparent that he was quite ill during his final seasons at GB. Murphy needed to step in but did too late in my opinion to prevent several bad drafts. Its easy for me to say that, but its hard to take the keys away from someone when they are as well respected as TT was.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of average and below average CB's roll through GB over the years. So I'd challenge you on getting to the NFCCG, much less win the Super Bowl with just an average CB taking Kings spot in 2020.

While I get that people want to pin the loss to TB solely on King, there were other plays, other players that didnt step up and other missed opportunities in that game.

Remove his ridiculous breakdown at the end of the half and the packers win. This isn’t complicated.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In line with my other post that we might be better served with different threads/categories for best/worst, this one would go in the draft choice discussion. No question he was a terrible QB, but he couldn't be one of the 10 worst Packers since he never played for them.

To me it’s one and the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

If King doesn't get burned twice for easy td's in the NFCCG, do the Packers lose that game? Not likely. Those plays were pivital. He also made a costly holding penalty. If Franco Harris drops the Immaculate Reception, do the Steelers win that famed playoff game over the Raiders? Not likely! Players do or don't make pivital plays that make the difference. Costing the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl is a large enough blunder to warrant listing in the top ten worst Packers. Many of the so called unpopular players on worst Packer lists never blundered their way to blowing a Super Bowl appearance. I think perfirmance, rather than unpopularity is a better indicator of the "worst" Packers. As I have remarked before, King is by all accounts a good teammate and not a selfish a**. He is the kind if player you root for but still cost the franchise dearly.

Once again, King deserves part of the blame for the Packers not winning the NFCCG vs. the Bucs but he's hardly the only one responsible for it. Rodgers threw an interception just before the Bucs took over before halftime, Jones' fumble resulted in Tampa getting the ball on the Packers' 8-yard line, scoring a TD on the next play, the offense wasn't able to score on three tries for the 8-yard line with a chance to tie the game and so on.

There's absolutely no reason to consider King one of the 10 worst players in franchise history because of his performance in that game at all.

Remove his ridiculous breakdown at the end of the half and the packers win. This isn’t complicated.

There's no way of knowing that.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players make mistakes in every game. You don't have to be perfect to win. However, some mistakes are so egregious that they are magnified due to both circumstance and ineptness. Of course the Packers have had db's as bad if not worse than King. Does anyone remember asbestos Estes? None of them other than King gave up two preventable td's in a close championship game had they even been in the same zip code as their wr. Even if he has a game now and then where he doesn't suck, it doesn't make up for sucking so badly in a winable champioship game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the worst players are just those that turned out not to be able to hang in the professional ranks. King is not that. Neither is a guy like Buckley who ended up playing professional football for quite a long time. I think they are the ones that just could not make it. Or played very poorly for a short time. jmho

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it’s one and the same.
As with almost everything in sports, it's personal opinion. Some people are including King because of a particular play, which I also think is inappropriate in this context. However, if that's acceptable, tell me one bad play by Brohm. And, ultimately, I was just trying to narrow the field. But, it's personal, so...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As with almost everything in sports, it's personal opinion. Some people are including King because of a particular play, which I also think is inappropriate in this context. However, if that's acceptable, tell me one bad play by Brohm. And, ultimately, I was just trying to narrow the field. But, it's personal, so...
Yes, its a Catch-22....if they are so bad, that they never play, how bad were they? Bad investment, but not a player that "played bad" for the Packers. I think it was you that correctly said that the group is more appropriately divided into those 2 groups: Bad Draft Pick and Bad player while actually playing for the Packers. Some players will tick both boxes.

In my humble opinion, King was more of a bad draft pick and had he been a mid to late round pick, maybe some Packer fans would actually appreciate the good player side of him. Also, as I have said before, the fact that the Packers passed up TJ Watt, to draft King, also sits poorly with a lot of fans and adds that extra layer of pressure on King.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, King deserves part of the blame for the Packers not winning the NFCCG vs. the Bucs but he's hardly the only one responsible for it. Rodgers threw an interception just before the Bucs took over before halftime, Jones' fumble resulted in Tampa getting the ball on the Packers' 8-yard line, scoring a TD on the next play, the offense wasn't able to score on three tries for the 8-yard line with a chance to tie the game and so on.

There's absolutely no reason to consider King one of the 10 worst players in franchise history because of his performance in that game at all.

There's no way of knowing that.

I never said one of the worst in franchise history, I was responding that if you swapped King for an average player at his position then the Packers win. Any argument that tries to say Rodgers shares as much blame for that loss as King is perhaps the most ridiculous take possible.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stating that had that play not occurred, in the first half no less, the Packers win, is actually more ridiculous.

Weird, cause this ENTIRE discussion is ridiculous because we're on a message board discussing a game from over year ago in a HYPOTHETICAL scenario for removing a player. If you contend this is ridiculous then I encourage you to refrain from sports message boards.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said one of the worst in franchise history, I was responding that if you swapped King for an average player at his position then the Packers win. Any argument that tries to say Rodgers shares as much blame for that loss as King is perhaps the most ridiculous take possible.
Good to know. The rest of us can stop spinning our wheels.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read the thread title. You jumped into a conversation that was based on that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Weird, cause this ENTIRE discussion is ridiculous because we're on a message board discussing a game from over year ago in a HYPOTHETICAL scenario for removing a player. If you contend this is ridiculous then I encourage you to refrain from sports message boards.
Ahhhh....I see, so your opinion counts and mine doesn't. I see how this works. Now THAT my friend, is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, it was Sanguine who listed King as one of the worst 10 players of all-time in franchise history, my bad.

I never said Rodgers deserves as much blame for the loss to the Bucs as King but he was partly responsible for it as well.

Once again, there's no doubt King had a terrible game but I was responding to another poster who claimed he deserves to be considered one of the worst Paclers of all-time, something I vehemently disagree with.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had one of the worst game a CB has ever played against the Bucs? Is this a serious question? We're talking about ONE game, not a season.
No, I am serious.

His game was bad, but how do you know someone else would have been better?

The loss hurts, I get that. blBut you’re being either emotional or intellectually lazy. “He had a bad game, ergo, he’s below average”.

I’d call King on the whole average. He has good games, he has bad games. He does somethings well, some not.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and every thread stays 100% based on the title? News to me. I'll keep that in mind going forward.
No of course they don’t … but this one was on topic… and your reply was not. There is a difference between a thread that strays away from the original topic and what you did.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I am serious.

His game was bad, but how do you know someone else would have been better?

The loss hurts, I get that. blBut you’re being either emotional or intellectually lazy. “He had a bad game, ergo, he’s below average”.

I’d call King on the whole average. He has good games, he has bad games. He does somethings well, some not.

By your logic there is no point in having any hypothetical discussion about replacing one player with another. You have to assume that when you say an "average" player replaces a "bad" player that the average player will have an average game. Otherwise no discussion about changing players has any point whatsoever.

Members online

Latest posts