Raji to retire from NFL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. We NEED ilbs or TE help before another fat body on the inside. Our best OLB cannot stay on the inside. Matthews is a better player when he's on the outside.

While DL may not be as in "dire need" as other positions, its all the sudden a "need" for sure now that BJ wont be back. We definitely do need to draft a DL now early on.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No. We NEED ilbs or TE help before another fat body on the inside. Our best OLB cannot stay on the inside. Matthews is a better player when he's on the outside.

While that's true no tight end in this year's draft is worthy of a first-round pick. And while inside linebacker remains a possibility at #27 it depends on the players still available at that point.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

While DL may not be as in "dire need" as other positions, its all the sudden a "need" for sure now that BJ wont be back. We definitely do need to draft a DL now early on.

I'm actually surprised a lot of you thought Raji would be back with the team for next season. The Packers will need to add depth on the defensive line but with the position being very deep in this year's draft it's possible to select a good player on day 2 as well.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true no tight end in this year's draft is worthy of a first-round pick. And while inside linebacker remains a possibility at #27 it depends on the players still available at that point.

Yep, if Ragland and Lee are both gone by #27, then I'd be perfectly fine with TT drafting us a DL at that point. I think there will be a few good ones on the board still at #27 too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, if Ragland and Lee are both gone by #27, then I'd be perfectly fine with TT drafting us a DL at that point. I think there will be a few good ones on the board still at #27 too.

I think they will roll the dice on who ever is currently on the roster... probably add DL help in the later rounds. Although I like Ryan he isn't the answer at ilb as a starter as he cannot cover. Packers have not had a complete ilb in the middle in a long time. Matthews doesn't count.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This Tweet on Ryan Woods account has me thinking that TT and the Packers were planning on spending some money on BJ. So if that is the case, who are they going to spend it on now?

"Raji tells me he's walking away from a "very, very nice deal" from #Packers and interest from multiple playoff teams."

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think they will roll the dice on who ever is currently on the roster... probably add DL help in the later rounds. Although I like Ryan he isn't the answer at ilb as a starter as he cannot cover. Packers have not had a complete ilb in the middle in a long time. Matthews doesn't count.

With Pennel suspended for the first four games and with the coaching staff most likely continuing to play Datone Jones at OLB the Packers will be pretty thin on the defensive line at the start of the season. They should for sure add another DL within the first three rounds.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Tweet on Ryan Woods account has me thinking that TT and the Packers were planning on spending some money on BJ. So if that is the case, who are they going to spend it on now?

"Raji tells me he's walking away from a "very, very nice deal" from #Packers and interest from multiple playoff teams."

Sounds like a multi-year deal was in the works and not one of those "1 year prove it deals". Probably around 5-6m a year I'd bet. And yeah, good question. Where does that money go to now? I bet we keep Neal now since this turn of events happened.

And perhaps this might force TT to sign a FA now, who knows, LOL.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offer the Raji money/contract to a FA defensive lineman along with the legit possibility of a SB ring. Next draft a DL in the top 3 rounds.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Gilbert Brown would wear himself down, and struggle through a lot of small injuries. He would play, but he wouldnt be 100%. He retired TWICE if i remember right. And came back TWICE mid-season, for a playoff run, after an injury opened up a spot....

I have to hope the Packers and Raji, have a unwritten deal that Raji is one phone call away. Or possibly him having a change of heart before the season starts. MAYBE he just doesnt want to play the numbers game right now, just because the NFL says its time. We have 5 months til season starts. If his mom is sick or what ever. The NFL can wait. I can understand that. The principle of freedom..... I get it...

But playing in the NFL is a small window. Why would you miss your window. He will have the rest of his life to have absolute freedom. Cash the checks now, and chill later.

this sucks. I think Im in denial...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a multi-year deal was in the works and not one of those "1 year prove it deals". Probably around 5-6m a year I'd bet. And yeah, good question. Where does that money go to now? I bet we keep Neal now since this turn of events happened.

And perhaps this might force TT to sign a FA now, who knows, LOL.

Was a nice deal... It was offered to him about 2 weeks ago..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Offer the Raji money/contract to a FA defensive lineman along with the legit possibility of a SB ring. Next draft a DL in the top 3 rounds.
That is what my impression is.. They can allocate that to a different player now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be okay bringing in Terrance Knighton on a one year deal.

Knighton would be an upgrade for the Packers run defense. The team doesn't have a lot of cap space available to sign free agents though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But playing in the NFL is a small window. Why would you miss your window. He will have the rest of his life to have absolute freedom. Cash the checks now, and chill later.
Some would say (and it sounds like BJ may be hinting at this as well) that he already has been cashing in checks since 2011.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have debated this on the forum but I think he was a pretty good first round pick all things considered. I know he had a down year or two but he had some key moments during his run

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have debated this on the forum but I think he was a pretty good first round pick all things considered. I know he had a down year or two but he had some key moments during his run

Yea I think the loss of Pickett and Jenkins had a lot to do with his drop off as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Raji played great during hi first two seasons in the league but after winning the Super Bowl his play steadily declined for the rest of his tenure with the Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

I predict Ryan will surprise you this coming season.

The improvement from early 2015 to late 2015 was evident; he has the tools to indicate more upside.

Playing ILB in Capers' D has a steep learning curve and the coach is disinclined to dumb it down for anybody. Instincts have to be re-wired; reading NFL offenses is a function of experience. Consider Matthews, an All Pro veteran playing with mis-tuned instincts at the position. Other than his blitzing from the middle, he was often out of position or guessing wrong. Other than QB, it is the most mentally challenging position on this team. There's a reason Hawk was out there well past his shelf life.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO that's kind of an odd comment.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope GB sent Raji's mama some flowers..... Get well soon card. A foot massaging machine maybe? $20, just because everyone likes to get money in a card...... Anything the brain trust can think of. We want mama Raji happy so BJ can come out and play...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO that's kind of an odd comment. One more payday? He played well for two seasons and has received over $30M. In his statement he writes, "This organization not only made my NFL dreams a reality and provided financial security for me and my family for generations to come..." BTW some Packers fans believe his drop off in production was due to lack of effort, not "stupid injuries".

I didn't mean by us, I meant by another team. I like the guy and wanted to see him even better off. Is that such a bad thing? Last year he had a groin injury, the year before that a torn bicep. Those two years he was trying to come back and prove he could still play at a high level. Say what you will about the man, but he had good character and I like to see those of people do well.