Raiders ready for a Snow Bowl

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LINK

Raiders plan for Green Bay's winter wonderland
David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, December 6, 2007

(12-05) 18:45 PST -- Raiders coach Lane Kiffin let everyone in on a little secret Wednesday. If Lambeau Field freezes over in a blinding snowstorm Sunday, his team will know just what to do, and it has nothing to do with flare guns and sleds.

"There's a disaster weather plan, we call it," Kiffin said after practice on a 60ish-degree day in Alameda. "That's not necessarily 10 degrees. That's disaster weather, disastrous conditions, and we'll have that ready."

Good thinking, because Sunday's game against the Packers promises to be everything December in Green Bay is meant to be.

Highs in the 20s, lows in the teens, and snow all around. This is the stuff NFL Films are made of.

"It's football weather," cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said.

Kiffin didn't formulate many bad-weather game plans at USC, so he started this week's worst-case mission by calling his father. Monte Kiffin is defensive coordinator for the Buccaneers, a sun-kissed team that used to frequent Green Bay for NFC Central get-togethers.

"He had all the answers," Kiffin said. "Then I remembered, 'Wait, you went 0-17 in your first 17 games that were under 40 degrees.' So he's got ideas, but I don't know that they're very good ones."

"He said be ready for Warren (Sapp) to have 10 layers of clothing on. He said it's a sight just to watch him dress and get ready for the game."

Kiffin wouldn't divulge the particulars, but his disaster plan may not be much different than the normal game plan: Run the ball, then run some more.

After all, Kiffin said he built this team to be a cold-weather offense, which means he prefers a punishing run game to a finesse game that demands optimal working conditions.

The offensive line loves the idea of running in the cold. Running back Justin Fargas is all for it.

"Knowing it could be a weather game, we'll commit to the run a little more," Fargas said. "It's all the better."

But don't those hits hurt more in the freezing cold?

"Well, yeah," Fargas said. "You just hope you get a good day out there where everything's not frozen. You might get your long sleeves, but there's no way to prepare for that weather."

"You have to look at it like you're not the only one out there dealing with it."

He's right. It's not like the Packers camp outdoors in that stuff. Fact is, they don't even practice outside. Green Bay uses an indoor facility all week, so its first exposure to the elements will be Sunday.

As far as Sapp is considered, Packers quarterback Brett Favre will have it just as tough throwing in a blizzard as Josh McCown or Daunte Culpepper.

"Let's say it like it is," Sapp said. "It don't become 80 and sunny when Favre's got the ball in his hand. It's still going to be whatever temperature it is, and everybody's got to deal with the elements.

"If we ain't (ready), we're going to show it in the first quarter."

Oakland hasn't played at Green Bay since the 1999 season opener, and left tackle Barry Sims is the only player left from that team. Their last winter trip to Green Bay was Dec. 26, 1993.

The Raiders lost that game, but they did win their last snow game - Nov. 28, 2004, at Denver.

Then again, who knows? Maybe Packers cornerback Al Harris was telling the truth when asked for a weather update on a teleconference call.

"Sunny," Harris said. "It's about 85. Everybody's in their convertibles today."

E-mail David White at [email protected].

Good story, and I think it bodes well for us that its gonna be 20 frickin degrees or less on Sunday. I love watching these snow games.

And thankfully, we have intelligent people managing our field (unlike in Pittsburgh) and the conditions on the ground will be at least manageable.

Good news for Ryan Grant owners :D :lol:

I loved the Warren Sapp quote, too. That guys just hilarious. :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sapp will look like that kid in "A CHRISTMAS STORY" that can't put his arms down!
I like it though..........looks like our weather is already getting into their heads!!! :wink:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love seeing our OL go out there all sleeveless facing the bundled up DL. It's got to put a huh? in Sapps head everytime he sees the guys across from him.

It's all a mental thing anyway. Run hard and play hard and they won't even notice the temperature. The biggest affect will be on the kickers though, so hopefully the game doesn't come down to that mattering.

GO PACK GO!!!

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I finally go to Lambeau for a game, it'll be when its 10 degrees and with a foot of snow on the ground. That's Packer football.

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this should be the last game Warren Sapp ever plays. Green Bay owes him a retirement hit. I will never forget him hitting a Greenbay Player down and later going and yelling at Greenbay coach.
Raiders, it is eye for eye, hand for hand we are ready for the kill... :twisted:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this should be the last game Warren Sapp ever plays. Green Bay owes him a retirement hit. I will never forget him hitting a Greenbay Player down and later going and yelling at Greenbay coach.
Raiders, it is eye for eye, hand for hand we are ready for the kill... :twisted:

If my memory serves me correctly, that was Chad Clifton he hit and Sherman he yelled at.

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LonelyPoet said:

If my memory serves me correctly, that was Chad Clifton he hit and Sherman he yelled at.

Thanks Zombie

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
LonelyPoet said:

Thanks Zombie

Slight correction. Sherman came up to Sapp after the game and got in his face. Sherman started the yelling, and Sapp yelled back. It was pretty weird.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, sherman is a big baby, no sportsman like conduct about him. Thank god he is gone

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, sherman is a big baby, no sportsman like conduct about him. Thank god he is gone

i disagree. that is just about the one thing that makes me like Sherman. The man couldnt GM a McDonalds... but he did stand up for his player that day and it made me proud. He didnt back down and he made that fat guy(i forget his name) look like the cheap shot punk he WAS.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vechenzo said:

i disagree. that is just about the one thing that makes me like Sherman. The man couldnt GM a McDonalds... but he did stand up for his player that day and it made me proud. He didnt back down and he made that fat guy(i forget his name) look like the cheap shot punk he WAS.
I agree with you Packnic.......i liked the fact that Sherman went to defend his guy. That took guts.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha! You know right after I typed that I realized that it was possible no one would know what I was referring to. I am glad someone got "the joke" though :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha! You know right after I typed that I realized that it was possible no one would know what I was referring to. I am glad someone got "the joke" though :)
Hey,.......remember that I am here! I will get most references to comedies!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sapp asked Sherman if he was so tough then why didnt he put a jersey on and play!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman: "What you did was chicken ****!"
Sapp: If you're so tough, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on. "

I think he repeated himself a few more times, but you get the point.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kiffin didn't formulate many bad-weather game plans at USC, so he started this week's worst-case mission by calling his father. Monte Kiffin is defensive coordinator for the Buccaneers, a sun-kissed team that used to frequent Green Bay for NFC Central get-togethers.

"He had all the answers," Kiffin said. "Then I remembered, 'Wait, you went 0-17 in your first 17 games that were under 40 degrees.' So he's got ideas, but I don't know that they're very good ones."

"I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!" Larry the Cable Guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman: "What you did was chicken ****!"
Sapp: If you're so tough, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on, put a jersey on. "

I think he repeated himself a few more times, but you get the point.
Yeah......Sapp is "King of the comeback lines!" :lol:
What a fitting name though.........."SAPP!!!"

Members online

Latest posts