Quinten Rollins

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No, I'm not wrong. He was a shortstop. I'm not sure where you guys are getting the outfielder thing. I'm assuming ESPN or someone must have said that when he was drafted.
Ted Thompson said it in his presser after the pick.
“I think he’s a football player,” Thompson said. “He’s got really good ball skills. ... He played center field in baseball, which I think is a marvelous trait.”

http://host.madison.com/sports/foot...cle_99a07c29-e5c8-5bf8-ad2d-1b2ed70772b4.html

Sky King

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't see any downside to guys who are talented enough to have played well in two or more major sports. The list of stars who have been so adept is impressive. Recent examples would be Donald Driver, Russell Wilson, Jeff Samardzija and Antonio Gates. Perhaps, even more notoriously are Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Michael Jordan. I see it as a plus.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't see any downside to guys who are talented enough to have played well in two or more major sports. The list of stars who have been so adept is impressive. Recent examples would be Donald Driver, Russell Wilson, Jeff Samardzija and Antonio Gates. Perhaps, even more notoriously are Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Michael Jordan. I see it as a plus.

Not too sure the bold portions go together. :) (Please don't make an issue of this, like what non-football positions someone played - just thinking of a pretty unsuccessful baseball career for Jordan)

Sky King

Reaction score
Not too sure the bold portions go together. :) (Please don't make an issue of this, like what non-football positions someone played - just thinking of a pretty unsuccessful baseball career for Jordan)
I guess we could also put him on a list for not being able to hit the curve ball all that well, but that list would also include a lot of journeyman guys who played MLB exclusively. To my knowledge Nike never sold a lot of Michael Jordan baseball shoes, so there's no denying that he made one sport look much much easier (for him) to play than the other -- at least until Father Time finally caught up with him. I'm genuinely impressed that he could do both at all, especially with the late start he got playing pro baseball.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am perplexed by the criticism of the Rollins and Randall picks.

The Packers lost 2 CBs in House and Tramon and TT replaced them both (I too was initially befuddled by the declaration that Randall was strictly a Safety, however).

These 2 players may or may not work out, but they were NOT reaches as far as talent or need were concerned. Good luck to both of them.

H

HardRightEdge

I am perplexed by the criticism of the Rollins and Randall picks.

The Packers lost 2 CBs in House and Tramon and TT replaced them both (I too was initially befuddled by the declaration that Randall was strictly a Safety, however).

These 2 players may or may not work out, but they were NOT reaches as far as talent or need were concerned. Good luck to both of them.
Randall was not strictly a safety in college. But everything about his says "free safety" in the NFL.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I was hoping we would take this guy. I think he will compliment Dom Capers well.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Randall will get a chance to compete at outside corner to start opposite Shields.
He better get a chance to compete at cover corner, otherwise what's the point? He wouldn't be the first guy playing out of position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m a Thompson fan. Of course I recognize he makes mistakes but IMO he’s among the top 5 or so GMs in the NFL. However, those whose answer for any criticism of Thompson is he and his staff are professionals and have more information than we have are IMO missing two points: 1) Even though they have more information than fans, NFL professionals make mistakes all the time - particularly in the draft. Think of the five worst-run franchises over the past 20 years – all are and have been run by “professionals”. Also, whoever you consider the best drafting GM/organization makes mistakes in the draft every year and has a litany of drafting mistakes in his/their past. 2) If your point of view is Thompson and the Packers organization always know best, what is the purpose of this and other fan boards?

I’m surprised by the Packers picks in rounds one and three. However Thompson has earned my benefit of the doubt. That doesn’t mean I endorse every pick – but it does mean IMO fans should be careful in their criticism. IMO posters like wist43, who called Capers names in his first post here and who is negative in the extreme lack any sense of perspective. Look at his posting history: He began posting here by criticizing Capers for misusing Peppers before Peppers took a snap in TC. How did that prediction work out? Don’t look for his apology or recognition that he was wrong since he didn’t post between September 13, 2014 and April of this year. It appears as if he’s only here to ***** during the off season. God forbid the Packers win another title, he’ll have to take a couple of years off posting. He’s approaching the negativity of a know-it-all poster who posted the following after the trade-up for Clay Matthews in the 2009 draft: That poster who later bragged about his talent evaluation prowess thankfully is no longer here. I am posting this in an attempt to provide some perspective.

One last thing and I’ll get off my soapbox: As I said I’m a Thompson fan. I think it’s fair to say HardRightEdge is less of a Thompson fan than I am. He and I have gone ‘round and ‘round on a few issues. While he may be more negative than some here like, IMO he’s a knowledgeable fan and an asset to the board.
I dont mind the criticism of TT, its the attitude that is over the top. The "TT is an idiot and cant draft defensive players" or "he refuses to upgrade the ILB" . Some posters are under the impression that for some reason, TT is not trying to build the best team. I also think it is asinine to say you did a tape study of player X and then deride TT based on that. Please, watching 24 plays on 4 youtube videos does not constitute a knowledge base for conclusions to be drawn. What about the other 780 snaps he played where he covered a WR so well the pass was not attempted? Isnt that critical in evaluating a CB? Those plays dont make highlights so the youtube 'tape study' crowd never sees it. But they dont understand that.

Their harsh criticism of TT should leave them open for harsh criticism in return. So i dont feel sorry for them. State your opinions, i disagree on plenty of TT moves, but the ridiculous attacks on him professionally and personally are absurd.

Here is the thing about the draft - there is a risk/reward for every pick. A ceiling for their potential performance abilities as well as a likelihood that they ever achieve that. To suceed there is a lot of work, sacrafice and luck with injuries ahead. There is no way to predict that. Look at Harrell. Was it a big mistake? In hindsight yes. At the time, no. Harrell would have provided as much impact on the D as Matthews. He was that level of talent. Matthews was as much risk for the reasons cited by the poster you copied. One pick hit and one pick did not. The same process and evaluation led to both picks, on suceeded one did not. TT could not forsee Harrell injuring his back. He did have injury history but not for his back. Otherwise he would have been a top 5 pick and we would not have touched him. Clay was inexperienced at OLB and that posed a lot of questions. There was risk there.

Anyway, there is a lot of risk with our first 2 picks. If we hit, we have a top talent impact type player. I think they are both great picks but that doesnt guarantee success.

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing is for sure and that is Mel Kiper likes Rollins. I read this (below) on ESPN in Kiper's grading of the Packers overall draft. He gave the draft a B and highlighted how TT was going for "lots of versatility." Rollins, to me, appears to have that "it" which some guys either have or they don't. I am not saying he is going to be great from day one but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he was. Here is what MKJ had to say about him...and Ryan as well:

He called second-round pick Quinten Rollins a "potential Pro Bowl talent" based on the one year of cornerback he played at Miami (Ohio) after switching from basketball.

He noted how much he gushed about fourth-round pick Jake Ryan during the ESPN draft broadcast and called him a "future starter at inside linebacker.

I liked out draft and I can totally understand those of you that feel differently. It wasn't a typical draft by any stretch of the imagination but I don't see that as a bad thing. After the first 2 picks I realized Ted wasn't going to do a damn thing that we fans thought he should nor the media for that matter. He wanted guys that can ball hawk, play special teams and bring more than one attribute to the team. Every draft is impossible to grade immediately afterwards and I think this one is even harder. Everyone needs to remember we had a Super Bowl winning caliber team last year and most of the important pieces are back to make another run. I also think having both Raji and Guion back will help improve the run D and open up the ILB's to flow a little more freely and make plays. Special Teams should make a marked improvement and I expect some of the young guys (HaHa, Sam-Bar, Hyde) to take the next in their development. Bottom line is there is a lot to be excited about and I honestly think we have one of if not the best roster in the league from top to bottom. It is fun to love or hate on the picks, the GM and whomever else you chose but at the end of the day I assure you there are 20something other fan bases that would give their left (or right I suppose) arm to have the "problems" we have! G P G!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He better get a chance to compete at cover corner, otherwise what's the point? He wouldn't be the first guy playing out of position.
Maybe playing Randall at safety is playing him out of position.

Reaction score
Not everyone. Just shows that Ted holds the common belief that ILB, unless a special player, isn't a position of extreme importance.
I seriously believe we sorta got spoiled by the immediate positive results of the move of Clay inside coupled with yanking Brad and limiting AJ. Not trying to be mean, but IMO, the dynamic duo of AJ n Brad inside graded at about a D++ thanks to AJs C- grade and late season C+ grade play.
We were sitting pat with decent depth of talent at OLB and a big part of the equation wasn't purely CM3 being able to utilize his speed across the equator, it was bringing out the best talent with formidable guys like Perry and looks from Neal both seeing more snaps in conjunction with the new inside duo of CM3 and Sam. Let's face it.. the pure size and natural instincts improvement was enjoyable in converse to the opening experiment of a "lighter and quicker" mentality.
I'm the 1st to Admit that I wanted an ILB round 1 or 2 but as mentioned a bunch, the availability beyond the top couple picks was just not there. We just can't go backwards on D and start suffering on the long ball plays we gave up in recent years. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who remembers our D ranking After giving up those big plays take the wind from your sails.
Secondary is crucial as Teams will often be forced to throw against us to play catch-up in the 4th quarter after AR shreds them a new one

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the **** are we assembling a baseball and basketball team!? I mean I trust Ted but there is no mlb!!! We better hope Carl Bradford is gonna be good

ILB isn't as bad as we thought we have a few players who aren't big names but are there, obviously TT and MM know something we don't given they haven't Made nearly as many moved to help at ILB, remember with Matthews in the middle his sack totals nearly doubled the second half of the season, and we have enough weapons outside to support it. We may see his picks as unorthodox but has he let this organization down with drafting for the long term, while maintaining a playoff caliber team year after year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny coming off a draft 2014 I mean.....we will have four starters out of that draft. I think our scouts do pretty good. We find more UFA than most any teams.

Just for grins, the other side of those starters. Ha Ha was a crying need pick (i.e., TT finally responding to the urgings of the folks here :)) - hard to imagine any 1st-round safety not starting. Adams, too, was a good starter, but over whom? Rodgers had Quarless as the only competition. And Linsley wouldn't have even been playing if Tretter doesn't get hurt, so it could well have been three starters, the top three picks, at positions where they almost were guaranteed to start. Good picks, good players, but sometimes "we got four starters out of that draft" is just the beginning of the discussion.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for grins, the other side of those starters. Ha Ha was a crying need pick (i.e., TT finally responding to the urgings of the folks here :)) - hard to imagine any 1st-round safety not starting. Adams, too, was a good starter, but over whom? Rodgers had Quarless as the only competition. And Linsley wouldn't have even been playing if Tretter doesn't get hurt, so it could well have been three starters, the top three picks, at positions where they almost were guaranteed to start. Good picks, good players, but sometimes "we got four starters out of that draft" is just the beginning of the discussion.
You represent your name with every post and I give you credit for that. Honestly. Some people tip-toe around and straddle the fence whereas you simply hate just about everything Ted does and let it be known. I assume if someone gave you a winning lottery ticket the first thing that would come to your mind were the taxes, no? :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not if you watch a little tape.
So you've seen him play CB?

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that the scouts and Thompson are better at assessing and utilizing talent than all the posters here put together.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You represent your name with every post and I give you credit for that. Honestly. Some people tip-toe around and straddle the fence whereas you simply hate just about everything Ted does and let it be known. I assume if someone gave you a winning lottery ticket the first thing that would come to your mind were the taxes, no? :)
Lets not be so harsh on the TT complainers. They need to disagree in order to make themselves feel smart. But can you imagine if they weren't football fans?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I assume from the smiley that this isn't as serious as the words would indicate, just as mine had one for the same reason. If so, a few points. I carry the Half Empty label on all the forums so that folks don't need to point out that I'm never satisfied. In this case, I don't hate what Ted did, just want to present a possible alternative for discussion. I'm sure you realize that the flip side of describing a Negative Nellie is describe another group as simply loving everything Ted does and letting it be known, and I doubt if that's really the case.

I understand that folks like me are a minority, but I have never quite grasped why it bothers the half full crowd so much. In things over which I have absolutely no control, such as the Packers' fortunes, I assume the "hope for the best, expect the worst" mantra and am therefore less upset by the 2011 and 2014 seasons; perhaps somewhat less pleased with 2010.

You're pretty close on the lottery ticket. The first thought would be 'why is he giving me a winning ticket?'. The tax thing would come to mind, but primarily as a choice between lump sum and yearly payout. The biggest concern would be "how do I handle this, how do I fend off the leaches, and how do I avoid ending up like all those folks on 'the lottery ruined my life' documentaries?". However, if you do have a winning ticket, I'd be happy to give it a try. :)

Lets not be so harsh on the TT complainers. They need to disagree in order to make themselves feel smart. But can you imagine if they weren't football fans?

As noted above, the contrarian view is not intended to demonstrate intelligence (since, in most cases, there cannot be a right or wrong to discussing sports), but mostly to present the 'yes, however' option to a discussion. I've always been envious of folks who are hard over on any topic, whether important (e.g., gun control, abortion, immigration) or frivolous (e.g., sports). That way, no thought process is involved - if anyone questions my point, they're wrong. Along the same lines, what little hair I have left stands on end when someone concludes a post with "game over", "end of discussion", "game, set, match" or a similar statement that implies there can't possibly be a counter to their argument.

I understand why folks get tired of seeing nothing but my type of comment. I've been banned from one forum and asked not to post to another. However, remember that there are plenty of people who agree with the positive side of almost anything posted, so what does piling on contribute?

The cartoon is cute, but it actually addresses another pet peeve of mine on sports boards. Contrary opinions are often accompanied by the "game over" position that, because someone isn't now a GM, their thoughts aren't as valid. Nobody in this forum is a GM, but certainly not because we all tried and failed; we all just headed in a different direction. Put many of us in TT's position, give us the staff and resources he's got, and a little time, and I'll bet there'd be a number who could be just as successful. Heck, Matt Millen was GM for how long, despite running that franchise into th ground. I didn't choose to become a surgeon, and maybe I wouldn't have made it, but I would still feel confident in pointing out that "hey, you forgot to stop that bleeder before you closed", sort of like "hey, we've got no reliable ILB". :)

Anyhow, if anyone stuck with it long enough to get here, I'm done. Should you want to jump on the pile, feel free. Just want to make sure that the Half-to-Completely-Full folks had an explanation. ;)

Members online

Latest posts