Quinten Rollins

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So everyone is wrong in thinking we need help at ILB more than DB?
IMHO, we went into this draft with a much greater need at DB than ILB, magnified by the fact that the ILB class this year is weak. Seems like CMIII will continue to play a lot of snaps inside, and after the increased production from this switch last year who can argue? Barrington came on near the end, they still have Bradford and Thomas. They will draft for depth at ILB, I like the kid from Michigan, but they got much better value with these selections than if they had reached for an ILB.

G

GhostofCurly

Hard to believe TT even got this job what with all the guys that know more than him. That's just in this forum. Wow. This team is a perennial playoff team and always has a shot. Maybe some of you should be Buccaneers fans. Then you might appreciate what we have.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB never seemed to be one that followed the norms and went out of the box to find overlooked talent at a bargain price. house and shields werent even drafted and people were like wtf back then.Jordy was a second rounder (overlooked talent), yet there was a large handful who taught we did not grab the best. No sense is arguing wether its a good choice or not. We wont know for a while and as of know they are Packers. I kind of like out of the box mentality.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB never seemed to be one that followed the norms and went out of the box to find overlooked talent at a bargain price. house and shields werent even drafted and people were like wtf back then.Jordy was a second rounder (overlooked talent), yet there was a large handful who taught we did not grab the best. No sense is arguing wether its a good choice or not. We wont know for a while and as of know they are Packers. I kind of like out of the box mentality.

House was a 4th rounder

H

HardRightEdge

Hard to believe TT even got this job what with all the guys that know more than him. That's just in this forum. Wow. This team is a perennial playoff team and always has a shot. Maybe some of you should be Buccaneers fans. Then you might appreciate what we have.
Thompson has had several bad-to-mediocre drafts in the past. This is shaping up to be one of them.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Rollins is more of a natural boundary CB. Randall plays all over the secondary and is position flexible.

Just a weird pick in a weird draft for us. Time will tell how this all shakes out. At least we wont have to worry about our secondary.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Rollins makes sense because the first round pick was such a big reach. The chances that Randall busts is too high not to get some insurance in getting another DB. The Packers have a pretty good back court in Rollins and Goodson. Throw in Randall as a former baseball player and the draft is shaping up as TT is helping out the woeful Brewers and Bucks acquire talent.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So everyone is wrong in thinking we need help at ILB more than DB?
Everyone is wrong who thinks they understand the Packers needs and available talent better than the Packer's scouting staff does just because they read a bunch of opinions from know-nothings on mock draft boards all over the internet.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Rollins makes sense because the first round pick was such a big reach. The chances that Randall busts is too high not to get some insurance in getting another DB. The Packers have a pretty good back court in Rollins and Goodson. Throw in Randall as a former baseball player and the draft is shaping up as TT is helping out the woeful Brewers and Bucks acquire talent.
I'm pretty sure neither of those guys wouldn't stand a chance in hell of making either of those rosters.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB never seemed to be one that followed the norms and went out of the box to find overlooked talent at a bargain price. house and shields werent even drafted and people were like wtf back then.Jordy was a second rounder (overlooked talent),

Jordy was widely projected to be a 2-3 rounder and I was actually tickled to death we were able to get him where we did. He wasn't a reach by any stretch.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Randall wasn't a reach. The Patriots were set to draft him but we took him. I saw it in a Billy B interview on a Patsy forum. He said a DB they wanted went a couple of picks prior.........that only means Randall.

Randall was a 1st round/early 2nd talent, hands down. If we didn't draft him, he was being drafted almost immediately after us.

H

HardRightEdge

To be fair, Rollins is more of a natural boundary CB.
Actually Rollins could end up going any of three ways...cover corner, nickel, safety. The obvious need is cover corner. He has the physicality and athleticism to play cover corner, but his technique needs work so he'll have to ramp quickly to win that job.

Thompson has accumulated CB numbers to stage a competition for cover duty. May the best man win, and may he the serviceable cover corner that's needed. It's a tough job, and especially tough in this defense that runs a lot of single-high safety.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to give the genius what he wants. I think this was a decent pick; it's the first rounder that is highly suspect.

So that's a yes? Capers is now the guy that's in charge of drafting defensive players? But only if they don't work out, right? Like, capers chose Harrel but Thompson chose Daniels.

H

HardRightEdge

So that's a yes? Capers is now the guy that's in charge of drafting defensive players? But only if they don't work out, right? Like, capers chose Harrel but Thompson chose Daniels.
It would be naive to think Capers has no input. He doesn't talk much to the press about what he thinks he needs, but when he does those players tend to show up. He identified "more length" as a need at DE, a departure from the jumbo lines of recent vintage; Datone Jones gets drafted. Or the need for having at least 3 impact players to build around, followed by the signing of Peppers who also happened to be a two-fer...length and impact.

H

HardRightEdge

It would be naive to think Capers has no input.

He doesn't talk much to the press about what he thinks he needs, but when he does those players tend to show up.

He identified "more length" as a need at DE, a departure from the jumbo lines of recent vintage; Datone Jones gets drafted. Or the need for having at least 3 impact players to build around, followed by the signing of Peppers who also happened to be a two-fer...length and impact. It seems the occasional interview can't be finished before he references passer-rating-against as a key metric. Here we are reloading the D-backfield after the loss of the #2 and #3 cover corners.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man, we all know the team will be fine next year. We're returning most of our core and even weeded out a few bad apples. That doesn't mean we have to be cool with Ted's picks. Very few people would argue they were BPA picks. Very few people would argue they were need picks. So what exactly are we supposed to think?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Came across this and thought I would share. The kid has obvious talent and a world of upside. I like stories like this and I am confident lack of drive will not be an issue with this young man. Yes, this is a boom or bust type pick but the most successful people never stand pat. They tend to make bold, aggressive moves in and out of the boardroom. We need guys with ball skills in the back end and both of our DB picks have them in buckets. Rollins also seems to be a very willing tackler and blew up quite a few bubble screens which we all know are very popular right now. Welcome to fold young man and I hope you serve all the haters/doubters a big heaping pile of crow...enjoy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Rollins was targeted 65 times last season and allowed 35 completions for 436 yards and two TDs. He picked off eight passes for a rating of 45.8.

Only three draft-eligible players earned a higher coverage grade over the 2014 season and only two corners a higher overall grade by College Football Focus.

In addition he either picked off (eight) or broke up (eight) 16 passes this season, or 24.6% of the targets sent his way.

I like the pick. While Rollins is extremely raw he has a ton of upside.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m a Thompson fan. Of course I recognize he makes mistakes but IMO he’s among the top 5 or so GMs in the NFL. However, those whose answer for any criticism of Thompson is he and his staff are professionals and have more information than we have are IMO missing two points: 1) Even though they have more information than fans, NFL professionals make mistakes all the time - particularly in the draft. Think of the five worst-run franchises over the past 20 years – all are and have been run by “professionals”. Also, whoever you consider the best drafting GM/organization makes mistakes in the draft every year and has a litany of drafting mistakes in his/their past. 2) If your point of view is Thompson and the Packers organization always know best, what is the purpose of this and other fan boards?

I’m surprised by the Packers picks in rounds one and three. However Thompson has earned my benefit of the doubt. That doesn’t mean I endorse every pick – but it does mean IMO fans should be careful in their criticism. IMO posters like wist43, who called Capers names in his first post here and who is negative in the extreme lack any sense of perspective. Look at his posting history: He began posting here by criticizing Capers for misusing Peppers before Peppers took a snap in TC. How did that prediction work out? Don’t look for his apology or recognition that he was wrong since he didn’t post between September 13, 2014 and April of this year. It appears as if he’s only here to ***** during the off season. God forbid the Packers win another title, he’ll have to take a couple of years off posting. He’s approaching the negativity of a know-it-all poster who posted the following after the trade-up for Clay Matthews in the 2009 draft:
are you guys joking... we gave up WAY TOO MUCH for him.. are you kidding me we give up three picks to draft a guy who was a backup de for all of his carrer besides the last 10 games of usc's season.... we just drafted a co special team player of the year in the first round... that was the worst pick we could have ever possibly made.. hes an undersized linebacker and an undersized de.. hes absolutely useless..id much rather have poppinga started at olb then him... i am completely dissapointed we drafted a back up/ speacial teams player in the first round...its embarrassing
That poster who later bragged about his talent evaluation prowess thankfully is no longer here. I am posting this in an attempt to provide some perspective.

One last thing and I’ll get off my soapbox: As I said I’m a Thompson fan. I think it’s fair to say HardRightEdge is less of a Thompson fan than I am. He and I have gone ‘round and ‘round on a few issues. While he may be more negative than some here like, IMO he’s a knowledgeable fan and an asset to the board.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be naive to think Capers has no input.

He doesn't talk much to the press about what he thinks he needs, but when he does those players tend to show up.

He identified "more length" as a need at DE, a departure from the jumbo lines of recent vintage; Datone Jones gets drafted. Or the need for having at least 3 impact players to build around, followed by the signing of Peppers who also happened to be a two-fer...length and impact. It seems the occasional interview can't be finished before he references passer-rating-against as a key metric. Here we are reloading the D-backfield after the loss of the #2 and #3 cover corners.

Jones has actually been one of Thompson's better picks on the dline. In fact, Jones has probably been Thompson's second best pick on the dline, Jones has actually shown the ability to rush the passer! So Capers input apparently has been POSITIVE.

And the NFL is a passing league. That's well known. Passer rating is an easy number to point to as a way to show how well the other team did passing the ball. What's the problem with saying the main focus of your defense is to stop the other team's passing attack?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts