Question From A Texans Fan

Clamp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi there,

I come to you from the Texans Talk forum with a question. You may have heard that Andre Johnson recently went down for an undetermined amount of time with a hamstring injury. What you may not know is that after he went down in the first half last weekend not a single pass was caught by a WR on the Texans. We have TE's aplenty and running backs if they can stay healthy, but our WR depth is terrible. We at our forum were trying to think of someone on a team who was expendable due to depth and wouldnt break the bank to trade for.

So my question is, What do you think the Packers would want in return for James Jones in a trade? Preferably draft picks. What do you think he is worth (to you or to the front office)? And since you see him play every week, is he worth looking at if the Texans actually were looking to make a trade with someone for a solid #2 type of receiver? Thanks for any input into this hypothetical.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen my share of nothing but criticism for James Jones on here by Packers "fans."
Those who criticize him refuse to see him doing any good. All they see is him doing bad. They forget the catches he has made that helps the team and would rather just focus on all the dropped and missed passes. You know. Haters gonna hate.
So it won't surprise me at all if you get some responses that will be like "Trade? Naw. We don't need to trade. You can have him for free!"

I wouldn't want to trade any of our players.
We are following in the tradition of Lombardi by taking in players and somehow finding a way to bring out their talent.
Anybody who becomes part of the Packers has a way of getting better and better.
I dunno what it is. But Titletown has a way of doing that.

Sorry. If you want other WRs you'll just have to go to another team.

OP
OP
C

Clamp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard about some of the knocks on him during the commentary for the Super Bowl. He made a great catch this weekend, and being buried in one of the best WR corps in the league doesn't let you shine much. That is why I thought we might be able to get him for a 4th if we were lucky. A 3rd might be more reasonable though.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is here to stay, the way the offense is built we need the depth we have, therefore no Packers receiver is expendable. Packers Attack you by spreading it out, James Jones is a favorite of Aaron Rodgers and he is very underrated b/c of his few hiccups in the playoffs. James Jones is a big physical receiver with a knack to get open.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted would jump at the chance to trade him for a 3rd I would just be surprised if a team did that, as they all had the chance to sign him earlier.

Next to Jennings he is the most physically talented WR we have.

Nice guy too, was talking to someone the other day who won a contest to spend a day with a packer and they got James Jones, who played football with them, made them food, and just hung out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might have better and cheaper luck checking some practice squads, including ours.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking at the Texans for fantasy purposes today. Kevin Walter may be the most under utilized player on that team. I understand he's dinged up from time to time too. Jacoby Jones hasn't shined like many folks predicted, more of a returner. I don't think Thompson would trade Jones, he just re-signed him, and like another poster illustrates, Rodgers likes the guy a lot. That Johnson injury made me cringe a little bit due to him falling down the way he did. Bryant Johnson has to step up if the depth chart is updated. I also noticed the Texans have not one, but two ex-badger tight ends. Maybe they'll use Daniels split out and bring in Garrett Graham?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but with the sheer chemistry our offensive line is playing with, I wouldn't trade anybody. James Jones gets a bad rap at times, I personally think he's great and part of the reason our offense is playing at an elite level.

As for your Texans, depending on how long Johnson is going to be out for, hopefully you guys can pick somebody else to at least catch passes and get you some passing yards. Just don't come shopping in Green Bay for offensive weapons, our stores are all closed! If they don't get anybody, you may be in a situation where you just have to make your TEs are running game work. You may not have much of a choice. How is your D looking. I'm not really current on what's going on with the Texans, sorry. Hopefully your D can keep you within games and make up for any shortcomings on your offense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers invested a third down pick in Jones so we'll need a second rounder in return. What'dya think? A 2012 second rounder straight up and he's yours. You would get a legit WR at a very reasonable price (salary this year: $1.3M, next year $2.5M and $3.15M in 2013). Seriously I don't think any team would pay a second rounder and I don't know why Thompson would be tempted to trade him for less. I don't think he's as critical as some of my fellow Packers fans - for example I have no idea what he has to do with the chemistry of the OL. He's only caught 9 passes in 4 games and the Packers are loaded with Jennings, Nelson, Driver, and Cobb. Today I'd prefer a 3-WR set of Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb over any other combination. And Finley is really a hybrid TE/WR. Don’t get me wrong, I like Jones, the Packers are just incredibly deep at WR.

I was amazed Jones didn't get an offer in free agency. He'd step in as the number two or three WR for most teams IMO and look at the Bears: He'd be their best WR. And look at those salary numbers. Yes, the Packers paid him about $2.45M in bonuses in addition to those numbers but for the caliber of WR he is that's a bargain in the NFL.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Gurley still on our practice squad? I really liked what I saw out of him this preseason and he could be a big target for Matt Schaub. I'd hate to see him go but at least he could get his shot with the Texans.

Members online

Latest posts