Projecting the 53 Man Roster

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
This is what I would do. This IS NOT a prediction of what the Packers will do. (They usually screw something up like cutting Taysom Hill.)

2 QB - Rodgers, Boyle

4 RB - Jones, Williams, Williams, Vitale

6 WR - Adams, Geronimo, Scantling, Kumerow, Davis, Lazard

4 TE - Graham, Tonyan, Sternberger, Lewis (Lewis cut & resigned after I move St. Brown to IR)

2 C - Lindsley, Patrick

3 G - Turner, Jenkins, Taylor

4 OT - Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Light, Nijman

5 DL - Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke

6 OLB - Smith, Smith, Gary, Fackrell, Ramsey, Jones

4 ILB - Martinez, Burks, Summers, Sheldon

3 S - Savage, Amos, Greene

7 CB - Alexander, Brown, King, Williams, Hollman, Jackson, Sullivan

3 ST - Ficken, Scott, and a better snapper off the street

(ILB Bolton to IR pre 53 cut, so, out for the year.)

I don't care what they do with Kizer. Going all the way back to Notre Dame this guy just doesn't put points on the board, which is why he almost never wins games.

Crosby's contract, the highest paid K in the NFL, is not happening if it were my money. Ficken has the stronger leg and showed he can cut the mustard for much less $.

Sullivan and Tramon Williams (maybe Josh Jackson?) can play some safety, so, I'm not really short-handed there at all.

Lazard, OLB Jones and Nijman all have enough potential for me to keep, but, I admit that the Packers might be able to sneak one (or all) of them to the PS.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see what happened in 2017 when Rodgers went down?

At QB we have one BIG order of Kobe Beef (Rodgers) and 3 pieces of ground chuck for QB's 2-4. So again, if you improve your #2 or #3, you are improving the whole. Having Aaron Rodgers as your QB doesn't negate the fact that the others stink, only one of them can play at a time.

So yes, I stick by my previous statement that "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" and that whole for the Packers at QB, would be much greater than it currently is, if some of the parts were better quality.

Obviously I'd love to improve our backup QB position, but ya know what?

Even if we had Fitzmagic as our QB if Rodgers got hurt, we still wouldn't be very good. There aren't even 32 good starting QB's in the NFL. I'd imagine we'll draft one next year, but outside of that, it's fiscally difficult to find a good backup QB. Realism does have to come into play at some point.

H

HardRightEdge

Jones had a couple nice plays. I was worried they were going to flag helmet to helmet on him on that INT.

and the best way to watch those games is with Harlan on mute. I dont' think he recognizes who's on the field let alone what is important on each play.
Such as it is, it's better than what I've been getting from the opponents' announcers on Game Pass broadcasts. They hardly mention what the opponent players are doing, the Ravens crew in particular.

At least the Packer guys highlighted how one particular Chief's corner was being attacked sucessfully. That might not have been so noticeable had they not been naming him on those plays. On the other hand, they did not make a point of how frequently the Chiefs were going after Holman other than to name him on some of the coverages. It would have been nice to know that from time to time, who the Chiefs chose not to throw at. It's not easy to tell who else is on the field at the same time with numbers obscured in the sideline camera view, with guys rotating in and out willy nilly. I find myself replaying certain plays multiple times to try to get the number of a player doing something noteworthy, good or bad, and that doesn't always work. At least with radio broadcasts, McCarron will name names on most plays. Too bad about the radio vs. TV broadcast being out of sync. Watching on TV and listening to the radio would be the best option in-market even if Laravee is annoying.

In any case, something is better than mute, even if at times aggravating. But you have to be careful. Ramsey was in on a tackle and Lofton made it sound like he was coming from ILB. While I can understand getting Ramsey and Shelton momentarily mixed up, it's the kind of thing Lofton does too often. He's pretty bad at this color commentary thing.

And if you had the broadcast on mute, you would not have heard Martinez's interview where he was asked about the questions surrounding his running mates. He singled out Greene. That should tell you something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Obviously I'd love to improve our backup QB position, but ya know what?

Even if we had Fitzmagic as our QB if Rodgers got hurt, we still wouldn't be very good. There aren't even 32 good starting QB's in the NFL. I'd imagine we'll draft one next year, but outside of that, it's fiscally difficult to find a good backup QB. Realism does have to come into play at some point.

This would be a mistake, to try and "draft" a backup QB. While I can see drafting #12's eventual replacement at some point in the coming 4 years, depending on Rodgers play, health and attitude, it is pretty obvious to me that this "drafting of backups" hasn't worked out very well for the Packers, unless you include the drafting of Aaron Rodgers himself, but he was viewed as the eventual replacement for Favre. Unless you get extremely lucky or get one of the top QB's in the draft, chances are a Rookie QB isn't going to be an adequate backup for a few years, if at all.

My desire for a solid backup up hinges on the Packers outlook for having a successful season. I think a team that is still in rebuild mode, shouldn't worry about having too much invested in a 2nd string QB, but have guys who are potentially developing. Now a team that has realistic Super Bowl aspirations, I'm getting my self a solid #2 and not hoping some rookie or inexperienced guy is going keep winning critical games after the #1 goes down. Which team the Packers see themselves as? I am not sure, but carrying Kizer or Boyle as your backup, could be risking that Super Bowl on one player staying healthy for most of the season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I would do. This IS NOT a prediction of what the Packers will do. (They usually screw something up like cutting Taysom Hill.)

Crosby's contract, the highest paid K in the NFL, is not happening if it were my money. Ficken has the stronger leg and showed he can cut the mustard for much less $.

Sullivan and Tramon Williams (maybe Josh Jackson?) can play some safety, so, I'm not really short-handed there at all.
- Agree with 94% of your list, GREAT job!!
- Think Boyle gives us a better chance moving forward at QB.
- Word is Sheldon has already been released so I would guess they're keeping an "extra" DL (guessing Fadol Brown or possibly Looney).
- Don't want a missed 45+ yarder costing GB any games this season so IMHO Crosby stays another year.
- Didn't think Bradley was doing too badly??

H

HardRightEdge

2 QB - Rodgers, Boyle

4 RB - Jones, Williams, Williams, Vitale

6 WR - Adams, Geronimo, Scantling, Kumerow, Davis, Lazard

4 TE - Graham, Tonyan, Sternberger, Lewis (Lewis cut & resigned after I move St. Brown to IR)

2 C - Lindsley, Patrick

3 G - Turner, Jenkins, Taylor

4 OT - Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Light, Nijman

5 DL - Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke

6 OLB - Smith, Smith, Gary, Fackrell, Ramsey, Jones

(ILB Bolton to IR pre 53 cut, so, out for the year.)

I don't care what they do with Kizer. Going all the way back to Notre Dame this guy just doesn't put points on the board, which is why he almost never wins games.

Lazard, OLB Jones and Nijman all have enough potential for me to keep, but, I admit that the Packers might be able to sneak one (or all) of them to the PS.
I could quibble with a couple of bottom of the roster picks, but not enough to make a point of it. I get where you're coming from.

The one factual error in your post is Crosby being the highest paid kicker in the NFL. He never was, but close at one point, second highest I believe when he signed that last contract. Today he's further down the list, highly paid but not at the top:

https://overthecap.com/position/kicker/

Bottom line, after costs already sunk, Crosby will be owed $3.45 mil in cap and cash this season in salary and in the $150,000 in per game roster bonuses if he is retained. While I would not rule out the Packers passing the baton to Ficken, it won't be because Crosby is the highest paid kicker. I lean toward the Packers retaining Crosby as the devil you know is better than the devil you don't with Fickens being largely untested under the pressure of regular season play (3 of 6 with all misses inside 50 yards as an injury sub for the Rams).

I could be wrong and I won't be too suprised if I am. Not being in the room or on the practice field to judge how Ficken goes about his business I don't have an independent assessment of his mental risk factor. Anyway, Crosby's reaction to that missed PAT would seem to indicate he is feeling some pressure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This is the second post today with someone stating the same thing, are you guys feeding off of each other or am I missing something? Good to see HRE also caught it. Crosby is the 8th highest paid and Ficken hasn't proven much when it counts, other than he is a 50% kicker to this point of his NFL career.

I might be on board with cutting Crosby loose, but first bring me someone who is actually better than him, I don't think Ficken is.

Cut him and let the Bears have him, might win us the game next week! :coffee:

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
This is the second post today with someone stating the same thing, are you guys feeding off of each other or am I missing something? Good to see HRE also caught it. Crosby is the 8th highest paid and Ficken hasn't proven much when it counts, other than he is a 50% kicker to this point of his NFL career.

I might be on board with cutting Crosby loose, but first bring me someone who is actually better than him, I don't think Ficken is.

Cut him and let the Bears have him, might win us the game next week! :coffee:

Actually, if you click on HRE's link regarding Crosby's contract (thanks to HRE for that) you will see that Crosby is not 8th for 2019, which is all I'm concerned with. Click the dropdown box for year, select 2019, then you will see he is the #2 highest paid K in the NFL for this season (Hauschka is #1 at $5,025,000 and Crosby is #2 at $4,850,00).

I stand corrected. But, it is a moot point. For me, no way is Crosby worth 3 or 4 million more per season than Ficken whether it is the highest salary or the #2 highest salary. Looking at HRE's link, I can't justify Crosby being higher than 15th on that list...as such, it would be mismanagement of funds to continue that contract. No way to run a business IMO.

I can easily see Crosby missing several FG's for the Bears that cost them games, so, I have no fear of him hurting the Packers. (I remember well Crosby in the DET game last year, in a dome no less, which cost the Packers a game.)

So, my take is cutting Crosby might win us the game next week when he misses two FG's in his ugly new Bear uniform.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Also worth noting that Ficken's contract is only $495,000 for 2019.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually, if you click on HRE's link regarding Crosby's contract (thanks to HRE for that) you will see that Crosby is not 8th for 2019, which is all I'm concerned with. Click the dropdown box for year, select 2019, then you will see he is the #2 highest paid K in the NFL for this season (Hauschka is #1 at $5,025,000 and Crosby is #2 at $4,850,00).

You are looking at Salary Cap Value, this is not equivalent to annual salary it is the cap hit. The number you want to look at is annual salary, if you are going to say "this guy is paid more that this guy". Justin Tucker just got a $9M bonus and is earning $5M/year. This doesn't mean his value is $14M for 2019, yet his dead cap reflects that, plus the reapportioned part of his old contract for a total of $14,596,668.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/kicker/null/

H

HardRightEdge

You are looking at cap numbers, not what a guy is getting paid now. $1.25 mil of Crosby's 2019 cap number was paid to him back in back in 2016 in the form of signing bonus. Another $150,000 was paid as a workout bonus in OTAs. That's sunk cost, water under the bridge, and no longer relevant to what is done now.

Haushka's new deal does not compare to Turner's new deal. Haushka's deal has no job security after 2019. He got a small signing bonus so his "silent guarantees" are virtually nil with cap savings after this season. Turner's extension has an $8 mil signing bonus and a total of $12 mil in guarantees. His large negative cap saving for 2019 and 2020, and near zero in year 3, provides a lot of silent gurantee that would make him hard to replace economically until 2022. It's the same kind of math we apply to Rodgers and the timing of a replacement, just on a smaller scale.

Isolating a cap number in a particular year is not the best way to assess current realities.

That's not to say Crosby isn't still highly paid or that his 2016 extension wasn't an ovepayment. But a chunk of that is, to repeat, water under the bridge.

Teams should submit these guys to testing by a sports psychologist as much as physical exams. Whether Ficken would be any good depends on focus, calm under pressure and mental toughness. We know Crosby's ups and downs. He has, however, shown enough mental toughness to bounce back from a bad season, or a bad game as was the case last season. I have no idea whether Ficken can stand up. We'll get that evaluation in the form of a decision soon enough.

Money is a part of it, but not all of it, to say the least.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Crosby's average yearly salary means little to nothing. It is the last year of his contract, the previous seasons are done and over. The only thing that matters to management is his cash earning this year and his cap hit and his #2 ranking in Salary Cap Value for 2019 has more bearing on this discussion.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
You are looking at cap numbers, not what a guy is getting paid now. $1.25 mil of Crosby's 2019 cap number was paid to him back in back in 2016 in the form of signing bonus. Another $150,000 was paid as a workout bonus in OTAs. That's sunk cost, water under the bridge, and no longer relevant to what is done now.

Haushka's new deal does not compare to Turner's new deal. Haushka's deal has no job security after 2019. He got a small signing bonus so his "silent guarantees" are virtually nil with cap savings after this season. Turner's extension has an $8 mil signing bonus and a total of $12 mil in guarantees. His large negative cap saving for 2019 and 2020, and near zero in year 3, provides a lot of silent gurantee that would make him hard to replace economically until 2022. It's the same kind of math we apply to Rodgers and the timing of a replacement, just on a smaller scale.

Isolating a cap number in a particular year is not the best way to assess current realities..

That's not so say Crosby isn't still highly paid or that his 2016 extension wasn't an ovepayment. But a chuck of that is, to repeat, water under the bridge.

Teams should submit these guys to testing by a sports psychologist as much as physical exams. Whether Ficken would be any good depends on focus, calm under pressure and mental toughness. We know Crosby's ups and downs. I have not idea whether Ficken can stand up. We'll get that evaluation in the form of a decision soon enough.

Yes, I see it. Nevertheless, cutting Crosby now and keeping Ficken saves the team $3,000,000. Right?

That is the point

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, I see it. Nevertheless, cutting Crosby now and keeping Ficken saves the team $3,000,000. Right?

That is the point
That is a valid point, not "he's the highest paid kicker", and I'm all for it so long as you have the right answer to the question, "who else ya got?" Kicking is a head game. I'm not in position to consider Ficken in that regard. Crosby has at least demonstrated resiliance. He may be inconsistent but he bounces back. The coaches will sort it out shortly.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Alright. I read that somewhere recently... pretty close to the highest paid K... Regardless, he's not been consistent. He's trending downwards. He joined the Packers in 2007 and kicked very well. His downturn began in 2012, when he made just 12 of 24. He lost his contract and as asked to take an incentive laden contract in 2013, which righted his ship, bouncing up to 89.2% with 100% on XP.

Since then, he went 82, 86, 87, 78 and 81% last season. Last 3 years 94% on XP.

Mason Crosby ranked #23 in the NFL in FG % last year...

There are 9 kickers that did better than 90% in 2018. I don't think Crosby has ever eclipsed that. Crosby was #19 in the NFL in XP% at 94.4.

Gould hit 97.1% last season.

Reaction score
While the play didn't hurt Summers chances of making the team, I wouldn't buy the implication that it might have helped. If he dropped the ball, that might have hurt. But catching a ball falling in your lap and running to wide open spaces is not exactly making a play. It was more like not not making a play, if you haven't gotten my drift by now. He showed good speed but that was already known.
I think this is way overthinking a really good play by “both” players. Players take fault when they’re out of position or drop a pass, they should absolutely get accolades for finishing plays.

It should have been a checkmark in Jones' plus column if anything. He made the play, not Summers.
Both did. Thankfully, the Packers staff doesn’t rely on the media or announcers to analyze a highlight. That snag and scamper was confirmation that Ty once again positioned himself to make a play and is always where the ball is. As icing on the cake, he finishes strong when given the opportunity.
If there’s any doubt in that.. Give me just 1 example of any player in this years preseason that posted more tackles, solo or combined?
What’s more impressive.. he said to have left a bunch on the table? Goodnight!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow. Alright. I read that somewhere recently... pretty close to the highest paid K... Regardless, he's not been consistent. He's trending downwards. He joined the Packers in 2007 and kicked very well. His downturn began in 2012, when he made just 12 of 24. He lost his contract and as asked to take an incentive laden contract in 2013, which righted his ship, bouncing up to 89.2% with 100% on XP.

Since then, he went 82, 86, 87, 78 and 81% last season. Last 3 years 94% on XP.

Mason Crosby ranked #23 in the NFL in FG % last year...

There are 9 kickers that did better than 90% in 2018. I don't think Crosby has ever eclipsed that. Crosby was #19 in the NFL in XP% at 94.4.

Gould hit 97.1% last season.

Really not sure where you are getting your stats from. While Crosby had a very off year in 2012 (7 seasons ago), he was not at 50% as you report, he was 21 of 33 for a 63.6% ave. and perfect on XP's. He also followed that up in 2013 with a 89.2% ave., not 82%.

This is also a competition between Mason Crosby and Sam Ficken, Robbie Gould is not an option. This is Fickens 5th year in the NFL and he has attempted 6 career FG's, 3 of which he missed. Sorry, but you might be able to convince me that Crosby is overpaid, but you can't convince me that Sam Ficken is the guy I would choose over him.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Crosby's average yearly salary means little to nothing. It is the last year of his contract, the previous seasons are done and over. The only thing that matters to management is his cash earning this year and his cap hit and his #2 ranking in Salary Cap Value for 2019 has more bearing on this discussion.

Totally disagree, what matters is that he is way more of an experienced kicker than Sam Ficken. Crosby has attempted 382 FG's and has made 80.4% of them. Ficken has attempted 6 and made 3. Crosby has made 98% of his XP's (548/559), Ficken 93% (14/15).

I'm just curious, why do you think Ficken has beat out Crosby? Please don't say "because he is cheaper", because IMO, there are always cheaper options at every position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely haven't kept up on all the reports, but the few I did see always seemed to mention Ficken missing more than Crosby pretty much all training camping practice. I think there are a few kickers around with his skill level. And while some might think Crosby is too expensive etc, they're likely to go with the guy that "has done it" at least until he she's he can no longer do it. A missed PAT doesn't show that, yet.

I know a move from Crosby is coming sooner or later, but I'm not sure Ficken is the one i feel comfortable with replacing him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess I might as well give this a shot on the last day. I'm convinced that MLF and BG are both up debating/evaluating/etc as I type. MLF has already said that tomorrow will be like a Wednesday practice as they get ready for the Bears, it will just be later in the day while they finalize the Practice Squad.

QB
Rodgers
Kizer - "Comfort Factor"
Boyle - Hell of a Preseason - Next year we could be fielding 5th Round offers from any team in crisis.

RB
Jones
J. Williams
T. Carson - I don't like it AT ALL. But this is what I expect them to do.

FB
Vitale

WR
Adams
Valdez-Scantling
Allison
Kumerow
Shepherd
Davis - I forgot he was a WR.
St. Brown - He was out there way too much and did way too little. The ankle injury is honestly what he needed. Most likely headed to IR. Ankle injuries can linger.

TE
Graham
Tonyan
Lewis
Sternberger - Nice to get a flash of what he can do. Sucks he's hurt again.
Baylis - With Vitale & Sternberger hurt, I could see Baylis, who wears #49, using his 6'5 250 lb frame to stick in there and make some blocks, while also being a move tight end in wider sets.

OT
Bahktiari
Bulaga
Light

OG
Turner
Taylor - Jenkins is on your *** buddy.
Jenkins - My man got robbed.
McCray

C
Linsley

DL
Clark
Lowry
Lancaster
Keke
Adams

OLB
Z. Smith
P. Smith
Fackrell
Gary

ILB
Martinez
Summers
Bolton
Burks

CB
Alexander
King
Williams
Brown - The fact that he didn't play as much as Jackson did in the Preseason speaks volumes. I'm always going to root for Nick Saban coached DBs.
Jackson - Possibly used as a backup S?
Hollman

S
Amos
Savage
Greene
Campbell

K
Crosby

P
Scott

LS
Bradley

Practice Squad
D. Williams - He SHOULD be on the 53, but MLF goes with the short term option Carson.
Lazard - Could be promoted to 53 if St. Brown goes to IR.
Nijman - His length is great but that's the lightest 314 lb OT I've ever seen, he needs some mass.
Madison - It didn't surprise me that he'd need some significant time to progress.
Ramsey - He's one paper cut away from being on the 53.
Jones - I'd like to see more please.
Folston - A former S, he could be an interesting rotational piece as to where he could play, either on the edge or inside.
Looney - Injury purposes
Brown - Injury Purposes
Sullivan - He did good, but I'm going to give the nod to the 5th Rounder Hollman. Kevin King should be popping his shoulder out in 5....4....3....2....

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is way overthinking a really good play by “both” players. Players take fault when they’re out of position or drop a pass, they should absolutely get accolades for finishing plays.

Eh, I dunno. His making the pick was "don't crap the bed" level of making a play. For pros, that was about as routine as possible. Perhaps we could give him some better marks for his initial moves post-interception, as there was some good first steps. Then he was just fast.

Impactful play, yes. Difficult play, no. On a 10 point scale, that had to be about 0.5 on the difficulty scale.

Members online

Latest posts