Projecting the 53 Man Roster

Reaction score
McCray keeps flying under the radar. The more I don’t see, I think he’s here come September. We tendered him early on for good reason.

Davis and then either Shepherd or Lazard at WR round out the group. Right now Shepherds versatility and snagability are moving him by a nose past Lazard. We also have a bit of redundancy with all these 6’4+ and athletic receivers.

The injury bug is already biting and may take care of making some otherwise tough decisions.

D

Deleted member 6794

You said the NFL does not allow live tackling in practice. That's not true. I'm not talking about how often the Packers do or don't do those drills. All I'm commenting on is the falsehood that you stated.

I didn't say anything about the league not allowing players to tackle in practice.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's early, but I'm hopeless.

QB: The hope here is that they stack up the young guys and someone emerges from the pack as a clear front runner. If they end up carrying three, it's because no one differentiates themselves, or because two guys were so good that it forced the Packers' hands. I am going to project one, an I'm projecting that it's Kizer just based on tools and pedigree.
  • A. Rodgers
  • D. Kizer
  • T: 2
  • RT: 2
RB: While there are some guys hanging on to the bottom of the roster, it seems like an easy call that this group will be Aaron, Jamaal, and Dexter unless someone gets hurt. Petals uses a fullback, and Vitale fits the mold that he likes and is already in house.
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Williams
  • D. Vitale
  • T: 4
  • RT: 6
TE: Given Petals' predilection for TE usage, I might expect them to go a little heavy at this position. Graham is locked in at this point, as is Sternberger. Lewis should be safe as he offers blocking that no one else approaches, and I would like to see Tonyan stick around and develop.
  • J. Graham
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
  • R. Tonyan
  • RT: 10
WR: I expect at least six guys at this position. Adams is a lock, while Allison, MVS, and EQ all feel relatively safe. Trevor Davis has a strong chance just based on PR ability. Moore, Kumerow, and perhaps Lazard will likely be competing for one spot. If Moore's hands/concentration have improved, I think he's an easy favorite.
  • D. Adams
  • G. Allison
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • E. St. Brown
  • J. Moore
  • T. Davis
  • T: 6
  • RT: 16
OL: My best guess at a starting unit is: Bakhtiari - Jenkins - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga. Thus those guys are safe for me. I would expect nine or ten guys to make the roster. Spriggs should be safe due to lacking OT depth. The interior depth is pretty crowded (which is great!). I am going to project Madison, Patrick, and Light to make it. It's a little bold to have Taylor getting cut, but if he's replaced as a starter it is likely because he's a poor scheme fit. And why pay a poor scheme fit a lot of money to be a backup?
  • D. Bakhtiari
  • B. Bulaga
  • J. Spriggs
  • B. Turner
  • E. Jenkins
  • C. Madison
  • C. Linsley
  • L. Patrick
  • A. Light
  • T: 9
  • RT: 25
DL: I expect six players to be kept on the defensive line, though five would not shock me. It seems that there are six who are logically separated from the rest of the guys on the roster. Mike Daniels could be a surprise cut given how much has been invested in 3T rushers this offseason.
  • K. Clark
  • M. Daniels
  • D. Lowry
  • T. Lancaster
  • M. Adams
  • K. Keke
  • RT: 31
ED: I think five is a reasonable projection for this position, with four being locked in (The Smith's, Gary, and Fackrell). That would leave Gilbert and Donnerson fighting for one spot. I am going to guess that Donnerson gets the nod just based on his speed rush ability, which is somewhat unique to the unit.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • K. Donnerson
  • T: 5
  • RT: 36
LB: Three or four linebackers will be kept on the roster. Martinez is a lock and Burks is close. I think Ty Summers has a good shot at being Martinez's backup. Crawford will have an uphill battle to impress the new ST coach, but if he can do that he will probably stick (he's also an emergency OLB). I think that Josh Jones will essentially be depth/competition at dime linebacker, but I will list him with the safeties.
  • B. Martinez
  • O. Burks
  • T. Summers
  • J. Crawford
  • RT: 40
CB: Given the talent glut at corner and the thinness at safety, I think they could keep as many as six corners and perhaps use some of them in safety roles when they are in dime defense.
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • RT: 46
S: This is the position where I think we could see an addition via FA, or perhaps where a UDFA could make the roster. If they added someone else, then I think it's possible it could impact LB as more safety depth would enable Jones to slide over into more of a full-time dime LB role.
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • J. Jones
  • R. Greene
  • RT: 50
ST: I had hoped that they might find a kicker and move on from Crosby's expensive mediocrity, but that doesn't seem to have happened. They will have Sam Ficken in camp, but nothing about his resume makes me think he's going to unseat Crosby.
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley
  • T: 3
  • RT: 53

QB: I'm switching the backup from Kizer to Boyle here. It could really go either way-- nothing would surprise me. And really, either guy ought to be a developmental QB3, not a backup. But this is the spot the Packers are in.
  • A. Rodgers
  • T. Boyle
RB: I'm leaving this group alone. There's a chance that Tra Carson takes Dexter Williams' spot, but the latter is a lot more talented and a draft pick so I am going to predict he holds on.
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Williams
  • D. Vitale
TE: This is another group I'm going to leave alone. Graham ought to be cut, but he won't. I do think that Tonyan could play a bigger role that originally thought.
  • J. Graham
  • R. Tonyan
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
WR: Big shakeup here. As I said in April, Moore was likely to make the roster if his hands improved. They haven't. He's out. St. Brown went down last night. Kumerow has proven to be able to play ST and has demonstrated that he is improving all the time, so I got that one wrong. I have Shepherd making it over Lazard because he brings a skillset that it scarcer on the roster and provides depth in the return game.
  • D. Adams
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • G. Allison
  • J. Kumerow
  • T. Davis
  • D. Shepherd
OL: Spriggs is obviously a goner. His spot will be filled by McCray, who has played a pretty prominent role with the 2nd team. I think the last spot is a fight between Taylor, Madison, and Pankey. Taylor is the best of the bunch, but he's also potentially losing his job to Jenkins and offers some savings if he's released. Madison has struggled, but he's coming off a year away from the game so they may want to give him more time.
  • D. Bakhtiari
  • B. Bulaga
  • A. Light
  • B. Turner
  • E. Jenkins
  • J. McCray
  • C. Linsley
  • L. Patrick
  • C. Madison
DL: Other than removing Daniels, I am leaving this group alone. If Lancaster's injury is serious, then he will need to be replaced by someone else on the roster or a camp cut. But because Smith and Gary can given then interior snaps in sub packages, I think they can go with five guys here.
  • K. Clark
  • D. Lowry
  • T. Lancaster
  • M. Adams
  • K. Keke
  • RT: 30
ED: Donnerson is long gone. They could just go with four here, but they are already light on the DL.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • R. Gilbert
  • RT: 35
LB: I am guessing that Bolton will be placed on IR without delay. Burks figures to make the initial 53 man roster and then get placed on IR so that he can return. I would guess they want more depth, but I don't see it on the roster, so I am projecting a waiver claim here.
  • B. Martinez
  • T. Summers
  • J. Crawford
  • ???
  • RT: 39
CB: With King and Hollman both ailing, do they load up on extras here? I think Chandon Sullivan has played well enough to warrant that consideration.
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • C. Sullivan
  • T: 7
S: If Campbell is ready, then I think he's the 4th guy as the S/LB hybrid, and Jones is out. If not, then I think they have to keep Jones just due to the situation at WILL.
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • R. Greene
  • I. Campbell
ST: I don't think Ficken has done enough to unseat Crosby, so it will be one more season overpaying for slightly below average.
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: I'm switching the backup from Kizer to Boyle here. It could really go either way-- nothing would surprise me. And really, either guy ought to be a developmental QB3, not a backup. But this is the spot the Packers are in.
  • A. Rodgers
  • T. Boyle
RB: I'm leaving this group alone. There's a chance that Tra Carson takes Dexter Williams' spot, but the latter is a lot more talented and a draft pick so I am going to predict he holds on.
  • A. Jones
  • J. Williams
  • D. Williams
  • D. Vitale
TE: This is another group I'm going to leave alone. Graham ought to be cut, but he won't. I do think that Tonyan could play a bigger role that originally thought.
  • J. Graham
  • R. Tonyan
  • M. Lewis
  • J. Sternberger
WR: Big shakeup here. As I said in April, Moore was likely to make the roster if his hands improved. They haven't. He's out. St. Brown went down last night. Kumerow has proven to be able to play ST and has demonstrated that he is improving all the time, so I got that one wrong. I have Shepherd making it over Lazard because he brings a skillset that it scarcer on the roster and provides depth in the return game.
  • D. Adams
  • M. Valdes-Scantling
  • G. Allison
  • J. Kumerow
  • T. Davis
  • D. Shepherd
OL: Spriggs is obviously a goner. His spot will be filled by McCray, who has played a pretty prominent role with the 2nd team. I think the last spot is a fight between Taylor, Madison, and Pankey. Taylor is the best of the bunch, but he's also potentially losing his job to Jenkins and offers some savings if he's released. Madison has struggled, but he's coming off a year away from the game so they may want to give him more time.
  • D. Bakhtiari
  • B. Bulaga
  • A. Light
  • B. Turner
  • E. Jenkins
  • J. McCray
  • C. Linsley
  • L. Patrick
  • C. Madison
DL: Other than removing Daniels, I am leaving this group alone. If Lancaster's injury is serious, then he will need to be replaced by someone else on the roster or a camp cut. But because Smith and Gary can given then interior snaps in sub packages, I think they can go with five guys here.
  • K. Clark
  • D. Lowry
  • T. Lancaster
  • M. Adams
  • K. Keke
  • RT: 30
ED: Donnerson is long gone. They could just go with four here, but they are already light on the DL.
  • Z. Smith
  • P. Smith
  • R. Gary
  • K. Fackrell
  • R. Gilbert
  • RT: 35
LB: I am guessing that Bolton will be placed on IR without delay. Burks figures to make the initial 53 man roster and then get placed on IR so that he can return. I would guess they want more depth, but I don't see it on the roster, so I am projecting a waiver claim here.
  • B. Martinez
  • T. Summers
  • J. Crawford
  • ???
  • RT: 39
CB: With King and Hollman both ailing, do they load up on extras here? I think Chandon Sullivan has played well enough to warrant that consideration.
  • J. Alexander
  • T. Williams
  • K. King
  • J. Jackson
  • T. Brown
  • K. Hollman
  • C. Sullivan
  • T: 7
S: If Campbell is ready, then I think he's the 4th guy as the S/LB hybrid, and Jones is out. If not, then I think they have to keep Jones just due to the situation at WILL.
  • A. Amos
  • D. Savage
  • R. Greene
  • I. Campbell
ST: I don't think Ficken has done enough to unseat Crosby, so it will be one more season overpaying for slightly below average.
  • M. Crosby
  • J. Scott
  • H. Bradley
I think Lancaster was back in the line up already last night. Unless he got hurt again and I missed it?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right and I just overlooked it.
you're sure because of my stellar track record and uncanny knack to know everything, correct? I already know the answer, but my modesty requires I ask

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MLF was asked about ILB at his press conference today.

His comment was something like "had a good talk with Gutey this morning about addressing the attrition at inside linebacker, he is looking at every available option to bolster the position"

He also said that he would not be talking about injuries anymore, until week 1.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
  • T. Boyle
  • D. Williams
  • C. Madison

I pretty much agree with all your picks but these 3.

Boyle: Kizer has way more experience and despite still not looking like a starter, I think he gets the nod. Plus, I see Boyle as a guy who makes it on the PS without a blink of the eye.
If they do only keep Boyle, then I would start shopping for a vet QB to sign. Boyle IMO isn't ready to play on Sundays.

Juice Williams hasn't shown me one thing that I don't think we can get from JAG's that will be littering the waiver wire. Cut him, save the spot for EQ, then IR EQ and sign another RB. If they really think Juice has some potential, he should be available for the PS.

Cole Madison looked lost last night, not to mention at least 2 penalties. I doubt he would get picked up, this is a guy that needs at least one more year and the PS is the place he should be. I would be fine with 8 O-lineman, as long as they carry 2 on the PS. Use that spot for another ILB picked up off waivers.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with all your picks but these 3.

Boyle: Kizer has way more experience and despite still not looking like a starter, I think he gets the nod. Plus, I see Boyle as a guy who makes it on the PS without a blink of the eye.
If they do only keep Boyle, then I would start shopping for a vet QB to sign. Boyle IMO isn't ready to play on Sundays.

Juice Williams hasn't shown me one thing that I don't think we can get from JAG's that will be littering the waiver wire. Cut him, save the spot for EQ, then IR EQ and sign another RB. If they really think Juice has some potential, he should be available for the PS.

Cole Madison looked lost last night, not to mention at least 2 penalties. I doubt he would get picked up, this is a guy that needs at least one more year and the PS is the place he should be. I would be fine with 8 O-lineman, as long as they carry 2 on the PS. Use that spot for another ILB picked up off waivers.

I could definitely see all three going as you have predicted. Taylor or Pankey over Madison would not surprise me.

I definitely felt that Kizer was locked in as the starter until last night. The usage was weird. If he was secure as QB2, I would have expected him not to play at all. Coming in late after Boyle gets a whole half is not what I expected.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could definitely see all three going as you have predicted. Taylor or Pankey over Madison would not surprise me.

I definitely felt that Kizer was locked in as the starter until last night. The usage was weird. If he was secure as QB2, I would have expected him not to play at all. Coming in late after Boyle gets a whole half is not what I expected.

I think the plan all along was to give Boyle some time with the "better" backups, maybe even with a few of the starters, had the field been in better shape. A plan that was going to show the coaches a better view of his abilities both with and against better players. So maybe you are right and the coaches at least said to themselves after the game "hmmmmm Boyle played better in that scenario and Kizer played worse". So if nothing else, the results of last night probably muddied the coaching staff's earlier opinions a bit and they will have one more game to try and figure it out.

I really think its a coin toss on either guy. Kizer is probably the better more experienced player right now, but maybe they see more of a future in Boyle. In either case, I'm not really very satisfied with either being the backup.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the plan all along was to give Boyle some time with the "better" backups, maybe even with a few of the starters, had the field been in better shape. A plan that was going to show the coaches a better view of his abilities both with and against better players. So maybe you are right and the coaches at least said to themselves after the game "hmmmmm Boyle played better in that scenario and Kizer played worse". So if nothing else, the results of last night probably muddied the coaching staff's earlier opinions a bit and they will have one more game to try and figure it out.

I really think its a coin toss on either guy. Kizer is probably the better more experienced player right now, but maybe they see more of a future in Boyle. In either case, I'm not really very satisfied with either being the backup.

I went into last night assuming that Kizer had it on lock. When Boyle was playing so much, I figured that was because they were protecting Kizer as the QB2. But when they put him in for the 2nd half, that really threw a wrench into the theory. It's just one preseason game, but they treated Boyle like the backup last night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I went into last night assuming that Kizer had it on lock. When Boyle was playing so much, I figured that was because they were protecting Kizer as the QB2. But when they put him in for the 2nd half, that really threw a wrench into the theory. It's just one preseason game, but they treated Boyle like the backup last night.

I can't remember which year or which #3 QB, but that isn't the first time I have seen the Packers do that. I really think it's just an attempt to give their #3, a guy that is probably on the bubble, a more realistic playing environment in which to evaluate him.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. Right after saying something positive about Kizer, a guy I didn't like much in the first place, he went out and sh*t the bed on Thursday. No good deed goes unpunished. He looked like a guy who knew he was demoted.

H

HardRightEdge

I'll wait until after the last preseason game to make my list. Injury status and some close calls could get more clarity. And then there's possible a new injury that tips a scale. I may have a couple "I think they'll do this, but I'd rather they do that" kind of selections.

D

Deleted member 6794

• D. Bakhtiari
  • B. Bulaga
  • A. Light
  • B. Turner
  • E. Jenkins
  • J. McCray
  • C. Linsley
  • L. Patrick
  • C. Madison

While Taylor might lose his starting job I expect him to make the roster.

I think Lancaster was back in the line up already last night. Unless he got hurt again and I missed it?

True, Lancaster played 22 snaps vs. the Raiders.

I'm confused! Which one is true??

Once again, I never mentioned the league not allowing players to tackle in practice.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Count Josh Jones out. The Packers informed him of his release this morning per Jones, and confirmed by Rapoport.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if this should be taken as a positive sign for the health of Ibraheim Campbell.
I like your optimism, but it's probably more of a situation where not a single team wanted to give anything for the rights of a 2nd rounder that quit in year 3, and his attitude sucked enough they wanted to get him out of the facilities.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Rob Demovsky, Gute and the Packers are actively looking for a RB in the trade market.

Bills TJ Yeldon, who OC Hackett is very familiar with, might be an option.

Another list I saw had these players as possible targets:
  • Matt Breida (San Fran)
  • Chris Thompson (Wash)
  • Corey Clement (Phil)
  • Chris Thompson (Phil)
Gute could just wait for cut downs, but I think if the player fits the Packers system, doesn't cost a lot, trade for him now and assure yourself of actually getting said player and giving him a bit more time to get acclimated to Green Bay, his teammates and the Playbook.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So does that mean we're cutting Jamaal Williams? Can't believe they're not solid on Dexter Williams. This is perplexing given the need at ILB but oh well I suppose.

EDIT - I'm not familiar on the system run in Tampa Bay and Oakland, but the Raiders just cut Doug Martin. Boom, no trade needed.

Last edited: