Preseason Game #1: Browns @ Packers

H

HardRightEdge

I went back and looked at this a dozen times, and it is hard to tell. Barclay chipped him and went out to the second level. It wasn't much of a chip. Whether the OG was supposed to pick him up is hard to tell. Maybe the line call was messed up, maybe not.

Sometimes they chip the offside D-Lineman counting on the back getting to the point of attack quicker leaving the D-Lineman to trail. The fact that Starks had to stop and redirect because the hole wasn't there was a contributing factor. It wasn't like Meder shot through from the snap. He paused for bit to defend his hole and still had time to reach Starks because the left side was all jammed up.

I don't think it was Ripkowski. Watching Kuhn over the years, the Packers don't have the FB block down on the backside. The art of Kuhn was pretty subtle. He'd lead to the point of attack, but had the knack to angle his block to leave some kind of hole. Ripkowski still looks to be in sledgehammer mode. Not that it would have mattered on this play. It was a hot mess. We'll just have to leave that one for the coaches and the position room.
On second thought, those comments may appear hypercritical. I'm not saying Randall is a bad perimeter corner. The Jags paid House $26.5 mil over 4 years with $10 mil guaranteed, and I doubt he could have made that game saving play against San Diego.

I go back to the college tape and Randall's TD-saving tackle on Gurley where he came across like he was shot out of a cannon. As a football fan, not just a Packer fan, I get frustrated when I see a guy asked to stuff that does not play to his strengths. Anyway, it's year 2, so improvement is possible if Rollins doesn't take the job first, which is a distinct possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I was surprised that Dean Lowry got the start alongside Daniels and Guion in the base defense ahead of Kenny Clark.
You might recall that cautionary practice tape from a couple of weeks back.

I thought Daniels' sideline interview was refreshing, with reference to being "smash mouth". While that's been metaphorical rather than literal since the Deacon Jones head slap rule with more rules since, including "hands to the face", there was a point being made. Other phrases, such as "assert your will", "dominate the opponent" still apply. You want that guy questioning what he needs to do.

The league does not like any of this talk. They want us to believe the trenches are sanitized now, down to strength, athleticism and technique. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody in the Packer office got a call asking them to pass Daniels a message to tone it down on TV.

I'll stick with the metaphorical "smash mouth" for the moment. So far, judging from the college tape or anything since, Clark needs to go find some. In his post game interview, he looked happy as a clam, just taking it all in.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo looks like a sophomore guard at a junior college. He doesnt have a football body for a TE. My theory is that he moves much better than he look and this disceptiveness is what allows him to get open. I hope we keep players who look bad but produce over players who look good but cant produce.
Backman made a few nice catches and showed the athleticism the packers drafted him for on a few plays. But Perillo had the better night, better routes and better catches against better competition. Raiders will be another big opportunity for both Perillo and Backman. We should just sit both Cook and RR and let these two duke it out for #3 spot.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised that Dean Lowry got the start alongside Daniels and Guion in the base defense ahead of Kenny Clark. Other noteworthy stuff that hasn't been mentioned is that Martinez had a missed tackle in the only run snap he was involved in.

That was a pretty bad attempt at a tackle. Martinez needs to do a better job there.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems Maritnez just needs to get use to the speed and strength of the NFL and he might do okay, seems to drop into coverage well just needs to work on stuffing the run. Good to see TEs doing something again in GB. Cook looked good and its going to be a fight for the third spot. I can understand why they were running the ball so much as that seemed to be the weak spot last year. Never seemed to get a solid running game whereas the passing game was pretty much riddled with injuries and it's already been said that Rodgers picks and chooses who he trusts to throw to. Establishing a running game will give the Pack another dimension to the offense, especially if the passing game starts out shaky, which I don't anticipate but hope for the best and expect the worst.

Sky King

Reaction score
Randall:

...He looks darn good when the play is in front of him. Where he tends to struggle is when he has to turn his back to the play. He seems to be vulnerable to the double move when not playing well off, and while he has excellent long speed he doesn't have that stop-start recovery that Shields has (which covers a lot of sins, by the way), and he seems to have trouble turning and tracking the ball over his head...

This could have described Bush, as well.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on Burks (9 touches for 48 yards) vs Crockett (6 touches for 17 yards, 1 TD)?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The risk of injury isn't worth it in a game where the score doesnt matter in my opinion.

With Cook having missed the first few weeks of training camp I wouldn't mind him getting a series or two with Rodgers.

Thoughts on Burks (9 touches for 48 yards) vs Crockett (6 touches for 17 yards, 1 TD)?

Burks looked intriguing vs. the Beowns and might give Crockett a run for the third roster spot.

H

HardRightEdge

My camp thoughts on Burks were encapsulated in post #9 in this thread. I didn't see anything against the Browns to change that assessment. If anything, I was surprised by his north-south adaptation to the blocking scheme. There are 3 more games to evaluate the competition. I would think at the least he'd be on the PS. It will boil down to whether they want a guy more in the Lacy/Starks mode or a change of pace guy who get to the edge.

I have my own preference, but that and $3 will get you a cup of Starbucks. Or is it up to $4 now? I avoid long lines for burnt coffee.

Members online

Latest posts