Preseason Game #1: Browns @ Packers

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone watching the game? I got home late and checked the stats. Can anyone explain to me why we have NO passing stats?? (according to ESPN) Is this an anomaly?? Any info would be appreciated!!

Also discuss the game here if you like.

H

HardRightEdge

Is anyone watching the game? I got home late and checked the stats. Can anyone explain to me why we have NO passing stats?? (according to ESPN) Is this an anomaly?? Any info would be appreciated!!

Also discuss the game here if you like.
I've never seen anything like it. McCarthy ran the ball on all 65 snaps. Half the stadium walked out at halftime.

Seriously, the kids did throw the ball. 11 completions to the TEs, a few shots out of the slot. Not much production with the wideouts.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to make everyone aware, the Packers typically don't game plan for an opponent. At least they never used to under MM.

They go with certain packages so they can get good looks at players.

Callahan (from wesely college div 3) threw it 23 times. Not sure how long he played but for starting that isn't bad

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to make everyone aware, the Packers typically don't game plan for an opponent. At least they never used to under MM.

They go with certain packages so they can get good looks at players.

Callahan (from wesely college div 3) threw it 23 times. Not sure how long he played but for starting that isn't bad

He played the whole first half. Williams played the second.

H

HardRightEdge

ESPN is not currently showing the box score at the moment, but yahoo sports has it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-green-bay-packers-20160812009/

I thought Spriggs looked pretty good. He got knocked on his keister once, but it was a dumb defensive play. He was blocking the edge guy just fine when the DT came across and knocked him down rather than rush the passer. He also got called for a trip. Otherwise, his pass blocking was pretty sharp. He handled #90 Ogbah, the #32 pick in this draft, quite well. I was watching the runners on run plays so I can't comment on the run blocking.

Clark took a lot of snaps in the first half. I can't say I noticed him doing much.

I liked what I saw of Brandon Burks, a guy I did a write-up on not too long ago. At that time I said not to go to sleep on him. He showed what I thought could be an added dimension...the ability to bounce a run to the edge. Good vision. Slippery. He got dumped short on a 3rd. and 1, but the blocking was *****. He looked like a passable pass blocker and receiver on a couple of plays.

Ringo had some nice plays. He got a safety on an impressive pass rush which is what others will highlight. But I noted he looked good on some run plays. His snaps came later in the game against Cleveland's third stringers. I'd like to see what he can do earlier in the rotation.

Perillo made some nice catches and he knows what he's doing out there. Still, he's slow. Backman looked more dynamic on a couple of plays but it's hard to tell if he's figured anything out yet.

The young WRs and DBs didn't show too much one way or the other.

That's enough for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I forgot:

Crosby kicked two 54 yard field goals dead center with plenty of leg. Masthay was holding.

Mortell looked pretty darn good. He kept it out of the end zone. A shorter punt to the 15, another out at the 4 I think it was. I believe his long punt was something like 64 yards, but the ball carried about 52 then bounced because some guy couldn't field it. Nice kick nonetheless.

Watching Andy Lee in this game in comparison, you see why he's in another class.

Before the Masthay bashers get too excited, you'll need to see Mortell holding on place kicks before thinking the Packers are seriously considering a change.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Solid outing by Callahan. Liked what I saw out of our TE group. Defense was up and down with some big plays both positive and negative. Randall got burned once by Terrell Pryor playing WR, which is kind of embarrassing. Seemed like Martinez didn't get that much action... either that or I just didn't noticed anything he did. Carl Bradford had a few good plays in there. Both punters and Crosby kicked well.

Most importantly, no injuries. They said Arod is playing a bit next week and Jordy might see some reps.

H

HardRightEdge

Solid outing by Callahan. Liked what I saw out of our TE group. Defense was up and down with some big plays both positive and negative. Randall got burned once by Terrell Pryor playing WR, which is kind of embarrassing. Seemed like Martinez didn't get that much action... either that or I just didn't noticed anything he did. Carl Bradford had a few good plays in there. Both punters and Crosby kicked well.

Most importantly, no injuries. They said Arod is playing a bit next week and Jordy might see some reps.
Right about Martinez...a few early snaps seemed to be about it. He was run over on one of them. Not sure if he got dinged up or they wanted to see more of Bradford and Thomas. Those 2 guys got a lot of snaps.

Thomas had a nice play in the first series where he stood the runner up in the hole. After that, not much of note. Bradford make a few nice read, react, close plays sprinkled throughout the game. He even looked like he knew what he was doing dropping in zone. Though he still looks on the slow side, his was one of the more surprising performances.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot:

Crosby kicked two 54 yard field goals dead center with plenty of leg. Masthay was holding.

Mortell looked pretty darn good. He kept it out of the end zone. A shorter punt to the 15, another out at the 4 I think it was. I believe his long punt was something like 64 yards, but the ball carried about 52 then bounced because some guy couldn't field it. Nice kick nonetheless.

Watching Andy Lee in this game in comparison, you see why he's in another class.

Before the Masthay bashers get too excited, you'll need to see Mortell holding on place kicks before thinking the Packers are seriously considering a change.
Perillo may be slow but he caught more passes than any TE. He sure gets wide open for someone you say is slow. Plus he made some tough catches. I believe that Mortell did hold for Crosby at least once. Plus you forgot to mention Abby and his good night. Showed great routes got open multiple times but throws were off target. He was also pretty impressive on punt returns. Also what an amazing INT from Hyde on the 1yd line diving infront of Barnidge who did play most the 1st quarter I believe, bummer we didnt get to see Blake Martinez cover him. Instead it was mostly Hyde and Joe Thomas who also looked pretty good. But the biggest surprise was Carl Bradford at ILB. He was making plays vs the run and in coverage. One play he hit the receiver with such ferociousness I jumped off the couch and spilled the bongwater!!! Great hit that caused the incompletion. Nice to finally see Bradford out there looking like he knows how to play this game called football. Callahan was pretty impressive also. This was the first i saw him play and he showed nice zip on the ball plus a pretty quick release for having such an awkward throwing motion. He looks like a nice project for MM. Thw other QB Marquise Williams has some sweet feet, but he needs lots of development. All in all good night everyone healthy I believe and it was nice to finally watch some Packer football!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I was surprised that Dean Lowry got the start alongside Daniels and Guion in the base defense ahead of Kenny Clark. Other noteworthy stuff thst hasn't been mentioned is that Martinez had a missed tackle in the only run snap he was involved in but pressured Griffin into an incompletion shortly thereafter. Goodson had two terrible plays in a row, getting a flag for a personal foul for tackling the runner out of bounds on a punt return and on the next snap giving up the Browns only touchdown on a pass from Cody Kessler to Rashard Highins.

Don Barclay, Lane Taylor and Aaron Ripkowski allowed Jamie Meder to get unblocked to James Starks on the safety allowed by the Packers. I'm not sure who was supposed to block him on that play.

Jeff Janis was inactive because of a hand injury.

I believe that Mortell did hold for Crosby at least once.

Mortell was the holder for Crosby's extra point attempt.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Barclay, Lane Taylor and Aaron Ripkowski allowed Jamie Meder to get unblocked to James Starks on the safety
I was not impressed with Ripkowski's blocking attempts.
He seemed confused as to who and where he was supposed to be blocking and as a result did not block anyone with authority.
I think we will see improvement as time goes on, but if not we'll be pining for Kuhn.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo may be slow but he caught more passes than any TE. He sure gets wide open for someone you say is slow. Plus he made some tough catches. I believe that Mortell did hold for Crosby at least once.
Perillo looks like a sophomore guard at a junior college. He doesnt have a football body for a TE. My theory is that he moves much better than he look and this disceptiveness is what allows him to get open. I hope we keep players who look bad but produce over players who look good but cant produce.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perillo looks like a sophomore guard at a junior college. He doesnt have a football body for a TE. My theory is that he moves much better than he look and this disceptiveness is what allows him to get open. I hope we keep players who look bad but produce over players who look good but cant produce.

I'm concerned that once opponents have sufficient game tape on Perillo they will adjust their coverage resulting in him having trouble getting open.

H

HardRightEdge

That's fair. But whether in this game or previously, what we see is a guy with a knack for getting open on short routes who shows good hands. His deceptiveness is a function of route running...reading the defender and taking the right depth and angle. Those are all good things, and quite helpful when playing with a QB in ****-and-dunk, game manager mode, which is mostly what we saw from the QBs last night, Callahan in particular.

But he's not going to outrun any LBs and he's not a very good blocker. He's an R. Rodgers redundancy. I don't think we can bemoan the lack of speed at the position last season, cheer the upgrade with Cook, and then be right back where we started if Cook goes down. Which kind of TE, between Cook and R. Rodgers, do you want to back up once A. Rodgers takes the field? I think the choice is obvious.

At this point, Perillo is the football player, Backman the athlete. But the latter showed some signs of becoming a football player last night and adds a dynamic Perillo will never provide.

It's an open, unresolved competition with, in my opinion, it being Backman's job to lose. Given the O-Line and OLB personnel, and the impending free agency at those positions, there may not be room for 4. Some even suggest 7 WRs. I doubt that will happen, but 6 is still a fairly high count.

We are getting deep into the weeds when talking about the #3 TE, but that's what we're about here, right? ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Don Barclay, Lane Taylor and Aaron Ripkowski allowed Jamie Meder to get unblocked to James Starks on the safety allowed by the Packers. I'm not sure who was supposed to block him on that play.
I went back and looked at this a dozen times, and it is hard to tell. Barclay chipped him and went out to the second level. It wasn't much of a chip. Whether the OG was supposed to pick him up is hard to tell. Maybe the line call was messed up, maybe not.

Sometimes they chip the offside D-Lineman counting on the back getting to the point of attack quicker leaving the D-Lineman to trail. The fact that Starks had to stop and redirect because the hole wasn't there was a contributing factor. It wasn't like Meder shot through from the snap. He paused for bit to defend his hole and still had time to reach Starks because the left side was all jammed up.

I don't think it was Ripkowski. Watching Kuhn over the years, the Packers don't have the FB block down on the backside. The art of Kuhn was pretty subtle. He'd lead to the point of attack, but had the knack to angle his block to leave some kind of hole. Ripkowski still looks to be in sledgehammer mode. Not that it would have mattered on this play. It was a hot mess. We'll just have to leave that one for the coaches and the position room.

D

Deleted member 6794

I went back and looked at this a dozen times, and it is hard to tell. Barclay chipped him and went out to the second level. It wasn't much of a chip. Whether the OG was supposed to pick him up is hard to tell. Maybe the line call was messed up, maybe not.

Sometimes they chip the offside D-Lineman counting on the back getting to the point of attack quicker leaving the D-Lineman to trail. The fact that Starks had to stop and redirect because the hole wasn't there was a contributing factor. It wasn't like Meder shot through from the snap. He paused for bit to defend his hole and still had time to reach Starks because the left side was all jammed up.

I don't think it was Ripkowski. Watching Kuhn over the years, the Packers don't have the FB block down on the backside. The art of Kuhn was pretty subtle. He'd lead to the point of attack, but had the knack to angle his block to leave some kind of hole. Ripkowski still looks to be in sledgehammer mode. Not that it would have mattered on this play. It was a hot mess. We'll just have to leave that one for the coaches and the position room.

Of course I have no idea about the line call in that situation but after taking several looks at it I guess Barclay messed up as he's the only offensive lineman not blocking at the first level at all. Both Spriggs and Taylor as well as Walker and Rotheram double team the defensive ends while Ripkowski picks up a linebacker leaving Barclay as the only guy to block the nose tackle.

That's how I see it but as I mentioned before it's speculation without knowing the call. It seems like something was wrong about the design of the play though as another linebacker was able to get in the backfield nearly untouched.

H

HardRightEdge

Randall:

You know, the first 4 games or so last season teams did not throw at him much, the reasons for that being hard to ascertain since we often can't tell the quality of coverage away from the throw without the all-22 view. As the season wore on, opponents went after him.

He looks darn good when the play is in front of him. Where he tends to struggle is when he has to turn his back to the play. He seems to be vulnerable to the double move when not playing well off, and while he has excellent long speed he doesn't have that stop-start recovery that Shields has (which covers a lot of sins, by the way), and he seems to have trouble turning and tracking the ball over his head.

Randall didn't play much CB in college. I seem to recall they moved him to CB when the guy he replaced was getting burned or got injured, I can't remember which. So there's room for growth, but until it shows up I'll maintain what I've said all along...his natural position is free safety with the play in front of him.

H

HardRightEdge

Of course I have no idea about the line call in that situation but after taking several looks at it I guess Barclay messed up as he's the only offensive lineman not blocking at the first level at all. Both Spriggs and Taylor as well as Walker and Rotheram double team the defensive ends while Ripkowski picks up a linebacker leaving Barclay as the only guy to block the nose tackle.

That's how I see it but as I mentioned before it's speculation without knowing the call. It seems like something was wrong about the design of the play though as another linebacker was able to get in the backfield nearly untouched.
That's fair.

After Barclay put the weak chip on Meder he was going after that LB at the second level and missed him. However, even if he had blocked him, Meder already had Starks dead to rights, so it really didn't matter.

I would note the design of the play on the chalkboard is supposed to be adjusted at the line of scrimmage depending on what the defense shows. Or you go with the what's written if the D shows what's expected. As Gannon observed, it's the QB's job to make the play call adjustment such as redirecting the play to a different hole, then center makes the line adjustment to match the QB's call.

We cannot expect a rookie QB in his first game to adjust a call the way one sees Rodgers do it, or even Kuhn when he turns to QB with his 2 cents. The play design is the template, not etched in stone. It was a rookie QB in his first game, Barclay is not an experienced center.

Regardless, the run was left inside the OT and there was nothing there, so we can't overlook the fact the blocking at the point of attack was the first thing to note in the breakdown. As soon as Starks stopped and looked to redirect, the timing was so far off the play was dead.

So many things went wrong, it's hard to say. Even your note about the double team on the off side illustrates an oddity. Maybe that guard was supposed to make a reach block on Meder after Barclay's weak chip and blew the call.

Burn the tape.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts