Possible free agents

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I've looked at who will be eligible for free agency this year. Obviously the list of available players will grow once team cut their cap casualties, but as it stands now here's the guys I think we should take a look at.

LB-Morlon Greenwood (young,cheap,knows Bates system)
Ed Hartwell ( young, great tackler)
Warrick Holdman (injuries ahve been a problem but the talent is there)
David Thornton (very fast)
Jaime Duncan (solid veteran)
Wil Witherspoon (best LB on market, what is his price?)
Ryan Nece (shows some potential in TB)

OG-Joe Andruzzi (veteran who has been on countless SB squads)
Bennie Anderson (bruising run blocker)
Rick DeMulling (helps protect Peyton very well)
Jermaine Mayberry (probablt too expensive)

DE-Chike Okeafor (sack totals kep increasing)
Reggie Hayward ( very productive in Denver rotation, 8.5 sacks
2 years ago while not starting)
Darren Howard (can't believe I'm suggesting we sign another NO DE)

TE- Jermaine Wiggins (doesnt' block as well as Bubba)
Itula Mili (can't catch as well as Bubba)
Ken Dilger (not nearly as young as Bubba)
We need to resign Bubba

There's not much out there in the secondary and all the DT's will be overpriced. Some of the guys listed above may be overpriced too, but I tried to stay within a reasonable price range.

JWalkRulz84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I believe a solid offseason would be...

Re-Structure Darren Sharper
REASONING: Okay look, this guy does not play like the pro-bowler he used to, but look at the different defensive schemes we have gone through the pass 3 seasons. This guy made some lightning plays and I believe he will step up next season.

Extend Walker & Green
REASONING: Common Sense. These guys are our playmakers. Davenport cannot take over for Green and will fumble just as much. Green is a big reason why we win football games.

Re-Sign Marco Rivera
REASONING: He will come a bit cheaper because he wants to stay in Green Bay. He is a big part of our O-Line and is a proven leader on the field.

Let Bubba and Wahle walk
REASONING: We need defense. These our 2 most expensive UFA. We need to allocate some money to defense. We will pick up some cheaper veterans to fill the spots. Our core offensive weapons will still be in tact. We will need players like Barry and Wells to step up. I believe they can.

Sign Sammy Knight
REASONING: The Mark Roman experiment failed. This guy knows Bates' system. He is very talented and will take some of Sharper's responsibilities. Could very well become a Eugene Robinson type player. I love this guy and I really want him in Green Bay next season.

Sign Anthony Henry
REASONING: This is a very "under the radar" type player that the Packers like to go after. He might come cheap too. With so many corners going in to FA, Smoot, Woodson, possibly Law, Surtain is on the block...As well as the amount of talent in the draft this season. I think we need this guy to add quality depth. Sure, we wouldn't have a #1 corner, but we would have 3 solid guys; Harris, Henry and I do believe Carroll will be much better next season.

Sign Itulu Mili
REASONING: Bubba will want to much $$$. Probably top 10 TE money and we just do not utilize him enough. Granted Mili is a downgrade, but he is a cheap fixture and I believe he will fill in just fine. It will also allow us to utilize the 3 WR set a little bit more.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with that for the most part.

signing green is smart depending on the cost.

sharper needs to step up. look what harrison did for the pats last night.

franks can go. he's good but we don't use him. i think david martin can fill in rec wise. not sure what kind of blocker he is but he can stretch the field.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport is two years younger and is going to be much cheaper signing Green long term could come back to haunt us. Its a big decision.

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I like these ideas also, especially Sammy Knight. I wasn't aware he was going to be a free agent. He's a veteran who with great instincts who also called the plays for Bates last year. My one concern is that he plays better with speed around him. The Packers current secondary isn't the fastest in the league.

I disagree about Bubba though. Unless he prices himself way too high I think we should bring him back. I think his blocking is very underestimated in our running attack.

I'm torn on what to do with Green. I'd like to extend him at a good price but for no longer than 3 years. Davenport is a great change of pace guy, but I don't think he could carry the load by himself. Hopefully someone else does and is willing to give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

I'd love to have Wahle back, but he will be too expensive. We can't lose both guards so we need to bring Marco back.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I say we pick up Barry Sanders and Jack Lambert and trade A. Green for Sean Tayloy, heck throw in with Green Sharper as well.

Members online

Latest posts