Playoffs still possible?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to somehow win the next 2 and hopefully AR will be back to beat the lions on thanksgiving. I think we have to win the division because I don't think there will be a WC spot available for us with the 49ers, Panthers, and even Cardinals hanging around.
I agree.
I don't think there will be a wildcard from the NFC Central.
With that being said, if the defense can produce a few holds til Rodgers gets back, the Packers still win the division.

Reaction score
I think we have to somehow win the next 2 and hopefully AR will be back to beat the lions on thanksgiving. I think we have to win the division because I don't think there will be a WC spot available for us with the 49ers, Panthers, and even Cardinals hanging around.

No doubt! Win the division or else, I'm afraid. The WC may not be attainable. Still 7 games left, but at least 2 more without AR. It will be a MUST to have him behind center on Thanksgiving for us to have any chance to get back in the hunt for the division crown.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything is possible. However it's looking bleak. Lions have the easiest schedule in the NFL rest of the year and with the way our defense has looked I think Andre Brown has to be licking his chops for next weekend (especially if Pickett can't go next week). Lions play the Steelers and Bucs before we see them again and you have to assume that they win both. As bad as the Packers have looked, they'll probably lose at least one of the next two which, if those assumptions hold true, would leave the Packers facing a three game hole if they lose to the Lions on Thanksgiving. When I first saw the schedule I liked the early bye week because the Packers basically have another bye after the Thanksgiving game. Now, the Thanksgiving game means that Rodgers doesn't get nearly as much time to heal.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes... I agree with Ceodore.... We NEED a WIN vs NYG.... If we lose 3 in a row the wheels might fall off entirely. Then I think we can beat the Vikes even with Crosby playing QB.... BUT the NYG game and turkey day games are HUGE now! Detroit has Pit and TB before Thanksgiving and I can't see them losing those games after pulling out the road win in Chicago.... If they beat us at Ford Field They will most likley take the division.... and we might have too try and win out for that last wildcard spot....

Carolina and SF should be playing tough for that last wildcard spot as well

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possible. Crosby and the defense have to step it up the rest of the season.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still have a chance.
We can't count ourselves out of it just yet. I still have hope.
What are the scenarios that would ensure a playoff spot even a wild card?
What record should we hope for and which games in particular would we need to win?
Feel free to discuss any of your thoughts on the Packers and the playoffs.
If Rodgers is out 6 weeks IMO we can only lose 2 more games & win out like 2010 & that's getting the #6 seed. 11-5 doesn't guarantee us a playoff spot

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Crosby's issues seem to have resurfaced since they started having him kicking off again, IMHO.

THIS^^^ drives me crazy! Wasn't Masthay booming most of his kicks out of the endzone? And Crosby was on a roll. Why fix something that wasn't broken? Now, we return to the other team's starting on the 25+ yard line and Crosby missing again. DOH!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THIS^^^ drives me crazy! Wasn't Masthay booming most of his kicks out of the endzone? And Crosby was on a roll. Why fix something that wasn't broken? Now, we return to the other team's starting on the 25+ yard line and Crosby missing again. DOH!
Crosby missed two and made two on a very gusty day. Henery missed a shorter one than either of his. Let's keep it in perspective.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of doom and gloom right about now...rightly so I guess.

A couple observations...still haven't had a chance for a backup qb who has had a week of preparation, play a game. I think MM has shown what he's capable of with getting Flynn ready...I'm interested to see what Tolzien looks like against the Giants. Seems to have the tools to be effective but who knows.

Also...shouldn't surprise anyone the defense isn't stepping up. They are and have been mediocre for some time. With Rodgers aura putting pressure on opposing coaches/gameplans the D can look good, but without him around they are exposed for being just ok.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You have to have faith FF.

....and, you need to stay away from PFT. That place is a cesspool.

Oh yeah, playoffs are possible to be sure. We go from 5-2 in a very ugly way because of an injured Hall of Fame QB ... believe that if the injury bug hits us...it can hit any NFL team. We've got time. Aaron heals in time to outrun our own defense....we've got time.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Crosby missed two and made two on a very gusty day. Henery missed a shorter one than either of his. Let's keep it in perspective.
I also don't like that Crosby kicks are not often touchbacks. Our KO coverage isn't very good and with most run backs, the other team is surpassing the 20 yard line.

H

HardRightEdge

Crosby's issues seem to have resurfaced since they started having him kicking off again, IMHO.
In an early-season thread I posted Crosby's career split stats. Here they are again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8447/splits/?season=career

What jumped off the page for me then, and what should jump off the page now, is how Crosby's make % drops sharply as the weather gets colder. These stats suggest he's about a 70% kicker at 40 degrees which was about what it was on Sunday. It doesn't get better from here in outdoor northern games.

And it's not like this is a universal kicker reality. See Dan Carpenter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9032/splits/?season=career

Here's a guy with a warm-weather-kicker rep, but somehow the Bills knew better. We should have dumped Crosby for Carpenter when we had the chance.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an early-season thread I posted Crosby's career split stats. Here they are again:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8447/splits/?season=career

What jumped off the page for me then, and what should jump off the page now, is how Crosby's make % drops sharply as the weather gets colder. These stats suggest he's about a 70% kicker at 40 degrees which was about what it was on Sunday. It doesn't get better from here in outdoor northern games.

And it's not like this is a universal kicker reality. See Dan Carpenter:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9032/splits/?season=career

Here's a guy with a warm-weather-kicker rep, but somehow the Bills knew better. We should have dumped Crosby for Carpenter when we had the chance.

Not sure I believe that Carpenter's 5 total cold games represent a very accurate sample size, especially when 60% of his kicks in that weather were 20-29 yards (Crosby has played 16 cold weather games and only 24% of his cold weather kicks were from that close).

Yeah, 90% is great, but he's only attempted 10 FGs in 21-40 degree weather. Crosby has attempted 33 FGs in that temperature and made 70%. The fact that Crosby has played in more than three times as many cold weather games and yet only attempted 2 more FGs in the 20-29 yard range than Carpenter tells me that you can't just compare the numbers and say one is better than the other. Fact is that Crosby is being asked to make much longer field goals than Carpenter.

Members online

Latest posts