Pittsburgh's Center Pouncy

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like he is going to be out of the SB which is a big plus for us as his back up isn't half as good,

Hopefully we can exploit that and really get to Rothlisberger

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting tid bit- Pittsburgh's running game came alive when Pouncey came out and Legursky came in.

I honestly have no idea how good their backup is, but I do know Ben is a pain in the *** to tackle...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting tid bit- Pittsburgh's running game came alive when Pouncey came out and Legursky came in.

I honestly have no idea how good their backup is, but I do know Ben is a pain in the *** to tackle...

Pouncy has been their best lineman, so this is bad news for Steeler fans. It may well screw up their QB protection more than anything, assuming the new guy makes the line calls.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Probably why their running game took off. They knew the protection wasn't going to be so good so they shifted to a running game which is easier for the O-line.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has 2 weeks to practice, I dont think its a huge downgrade. The oline is weak in the first place anyways

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE: Pittsburgh Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu backed off his earlier claims that Maurkice Pouncey would not be able to play in the Super Bowl.
"I think they're taking it day by day, as far as his injury," Kemoeatu said of Pouncey on Thursday, per James Walker of ESPN's AFC North blog. "I don't think it has been confirmed that he's not playing yet. Right now he's just rehabbing."

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE: Pittsburgh Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu backed off his earlier claims that Maurkice Pouncey would not be able to play in the Super Bowl.
"I think they're taking it day by day, as far as his injury," Kemoeatu said of Pouncey on Thursday, per James Walker of ESPN's AFC North blog. "I don't think it has been confirmed that he's not playing yet. Right now he's just rehabbing."
back tracking lol hes not playing. Did you see how much pain he was in I feel bad for him me being a gator fan and all but I really dont think he will play.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Legursky played well in relief. I'm not ready to say this will be a huge factor. But Pouncey did have a very good year.

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, if I was Tomlin, I wouldn't want Pouncey to play. Lets assume that this game turns out to be as close as last years, same exact field position the Steelers had with 8 seconds on the clock before that game winning TD pass from Ben. Now imagine that happens again, Ben snaps the ball, Pouncey's ankle decides to buckle and Raji sacks Ben and the Packers win. Now it probably won't come down to Pouncey's ankle being the deciding factor of the play that decides the outcome of the game, but with having him on the field creates a liability for the Steelers offense. Honestly allowing us to get pressure, and allowing Ben to get a good clock going in his head would probably be better than having Pouncey go out in the 4th and Ben getting all this pressure in his face that he hasn't been used to all game.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pouncy is going to have a 3 year career. Since I am in the Pittsburgh market I get all their games and in most of them that I have watched he has been injured, though this last one is the only one he didn't eventually return later in the game. He has taken one serious beating this year though.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
T

TMC

I would not buy anything that Ed Bouchette states. He has been wrong too many times. If the Steelers are not ruling him out and Pouncey is stating he will be ready, I will give it a 50-50 chance. I have felt for a while that Bouchette prints stuff to get traffic and they are the source to the broken bone story.

Legursky is a drop off, but he is still better than Hartwig from last season. They will, more than likely, double Raji. Legs has played quite a bit this season at guard when other guys went down. All the Steelers can do is bring what they have, play what they bring, and hope it is enough.

It should also be stated that Legs was the center last week when the Steelers scored all their points. So, he is not a complete bum.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was reading over on the Steeler forums and it sounds like this Lego guy is actually a pretty suitable replacement. I doubt it makes as much of a difference in the game as we're all hoping.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's decent but he's no Pouncey. If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be trying to convince myself that he's just as good as Pouncey too.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They still haven't officially announced anything. Beware of trickery. I think the Steelers are up to something. They may be trying to stump the Packers. I don't think it will work, as the Packs D will be prepared to take on King Kong himself in the SB if it came to that. Still, don't be surprised if the Steelers wait until the 11th hour to announce it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its trickery. You're preparing for the Super Bowl. You need all the practice you can get. A little trickery isn't worth casting up your pro bowler and holding him out of practice. I think they still hope he can play, no doubt. But realistically his chances have to be pretty darn slim.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this dude misses the game, it is a MASSIVE blow to the Steelers.With the new center they had a few fumbles on the snap, and even though that will be fixed, Pouncey is a beast and pro bowler, probably top 5 in the league. If he is out, the Raji, Jenkins, & Pickett firm will have a field day giving the backup and BR nightmares.

T

TMC

Well, now more news is leaking out. Apparently it is a nondisplaced (hairline) fractures, stress fractures or microtrabecular fractures that are only visible with an MRI and not the standard X-ray he had after the game. From what I have read, it all depends on where the hairline fracture is on whether he can play or not.

From what I know of Pouncey, I would not rule him out. He had a high ankle sprain to start the season while at Florida and never missed a game. He also played in the Sugar Bowl after spending 5 hours in the hospital with kidney stones. He is a pretty tough kid. He did not practice this week, Legs ran with the 1s, but it is not out of the question for the Steelers to sit a starter with an injury and still play him on game day, they do it with Polamalu a lot.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) even if he plays, missing all this practice time is not good for him.
2) what's a better match up for Raji, a healthy Legursky or a seriously hurting Pouncey? I'd say that's up for debate.

Members online

Latest posts