OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB plays him as a 2-down, A gap plugger taking on 2 OL's that'll take a lot of pressure off of Clark. Obvious passing plays he rotates out, allowing Za'Darius to slide inside & rush. I LOVE this pick, especially where they took him!

I think his focused use especially early will be 2 downs. You'll see Keke if we do two down DLs on passing downs play over him alongside Clark a lot more - Keke has a better rush package arsenal.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you look at pictures of him at Florida, he looks massive, but not fat necessarily.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the ceiling from what I've heard and the highest. Most say upwards of 360s. Either way we drafted him at 330 or slightly under as he has stated he wanted to lose even a touch more post pro day.
Well, he was motivated to lose weight for draft position. Let's hope he stays motivated for his 2nd contract. He wasn't always motivated in college to watch his weight. And now he can afford all the food he wants.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he was motivated to lose weight for draft position. Let's hope he stays motivated for his 2nd contract. He wasn't always motivated in college to watch his weight. And now he can afford all the food he wants.

For sure, which is why he was a Day 3 prospect for sure. He is a perfect example of what most Day 3 picks are - guys with one or few issues which if resolved have real potential. Low risk type guy, that the team no doubt had circled as worth the risk come Day 3

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't always motivated in college to watch his weight. And now he can afford all the food he wants.
C'mon, Amish... how many of us were motivated to watch our weight in college? It's taken me decades to rein-in my eating with all the food I want as an adult! ;) :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If GB plays him as a 2-down, A gap plugger taking on 2 OL's that'll take a lot of pressure off of Clark. Obvious passing plays he rotates out, allowing Za'Darius to slide inside & rush. I LOVE this pick, especially where they took him!
If he's pulled on passing downs, he won't get the stats that many fans and media need to consider him a good player. By that definition he is already a bust and we should be looking to replace him ASAP. :geek:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a late 5th round pick. Are some of you expecting a player with no warts there?

Reaction score
I had Bobbie Brown III as our 4th round selection, but he went before we could get him there in round 4 at 117th overall. Slaton was along those same lines as a 2 down DT who can be used in obvious running and short yardage scenarios and he’s crafty at finding the gaps and sniffing the ball carrier.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was tough to find but all the film or tape I could find from rookie minicamp I'm very happy with the slimmer TJ out there (weighed in at 329 I believe they said). I've never seen a guy carry that much so well - I'm excited about what a steal this young man could turn into. When that motor runs it is impressive - issue will be consistency and is he coachable - Montgomery and staff appears to feel quite confident in him early on.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well two preseason games in and I am confident in saying worst case folks we found a guy that will play out his entire rookie deal with us and is IMO going to push for time situationally now, and perhaps consistently in the future (no way of knowing how the effort translates year to year).

I've loved everything I've seen out of him so far, yes rookie rough at times but man he shows a speed and hand control a guy his size just doesn't usually.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@longtimefan think we could move this out of the draft section and into the main discussion area? Vastly too many don't look here but doesn't seem right making another thread there just for visibility?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decent article on Slaton:

"Pro Football Focus has a stat called run stops. Essentially, it measures impact tackles. A first-and-10 tackle that limits the play to 3 yards or less is a run stop...Slaton ranks second among all interior defenders with five run stops."

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well two preseason games in and I am confident in saying worst case folks we found a guy that will play out his entire rookie deal with us and is IMO going to push for time situationally now, and perhaps consistently in the future (no way of knowing how the effort translates year to year).

I've loved everything I've seen out of him so far, yes rookie rough at times but man he shows a speed and hand control a guy his size just doesn't usually.
Slaton is a athlete man and hopefully he can stay consistent I was reading last night he is only about 16% percent body fat he is a beast. Time will tell with his play on the field. I’m def excited about him anybody on the d line to get Lancaster out of there preferably Lowry too…

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were plenty of us that LOVED the pick in the 5th when his name popped up purely due to his RAS of 7.96. A guy his size has zero business being as explosive (broad and vertical) or as fast (40 splits and overall) as he presented.

None of that means he'll be good or consistent, but dear lord a man his size in that round with those athletic abilities is WELL WORTH the pick to see. Worst case he should be a depth guy for a year or two...but I sense we may have found much more hopefully.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is really, really early, but it seems like this rookie class is going to contribute a lot. Stokes, Myers, Rodgers, Newman, and Slaton should all be contributing heavily as rookies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think Rodgers does less this year than many of us suspect, but will smile if wrong. There is just a lot of guys in that WR room, and it is very evident Cobb will get nod at slot vastly more.

Newman is the "surprise" to me, not that I never thought he would be capable, but that I just didn't see him pushing for a starting spot as well as he is (during Bahk absence especially).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I actually think Rodgers does less this year than many of us suspect, but will smile if wrong. There is just a lot of guys in that WR room, and it is very evident Cobb will get nod at slot vastly more.

Newman is the "surprise" to me, not that I never thought he would be capable, but that I just didn't see him pushing for a starting spot as well as he is (during Bahk absence especially).

At a minimum, he will handle punt return duties. I don't expect a ton of offense, but just a little plus handling PR would be a fairly big impact for a rookie, especially considering how terrible our PR game has been in recent seasons.

Reaction score
This feels like a shift in defensive philosophy. The guy is 370 lbs and is immovable. Was not on my radar and doesn't look like any DL we have drafted. I'm thinking Berry is looking at FL things differently.
This was just my thoughts at DL. Obviously Clark is solid, but he gets doubled a lot and we all pretty much knew he needed help. I wanted Bobby Brown 3, because that philosophy gets us a guy that can either sub for Clark or even play alongside on obvious running or short yardage downs (goalline scenarios). The player is different, but the idea is not. Love this pick

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts