Pick No. 173 Tederrel Slaton

D

Deleted member 11740

3 and 4 sacks, while not world beating, is honestly pretty good for interior defenders.

And tackles are not a particular telling stat at all. More sacks are good, TFLs are good, but if all they do is eat blocks and let the linebackers make tackles, they have likely done their job.
Your analysis is good….. BUT the massive problem we have is that we have exactly 0 ILB on the roster that are either smart enough or talented enough to fill the gaps.

I think our DL, including Lancaster is serviceable but we continually get gashed for 4-8 yards on runs that should be 0-4 yards max, because our ILB play is terrible.

I thought Keke was actually impressive last year for what was expected coming into season and impacted backfield a lot but had no one behind him to make a tackle.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m scared for our run defence this year.
It will be interesting to see if the new DC can turn that aspect around with the cattle we have, especially at ILB. After all, it’s a team game!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your analysis is good….. BUT the massive problem we have is that we have exactly 0 ILB on the roster that are either smart enough or talented enough to fill the gaps.
I'm going to disagree here. I've got high hopes for our inside linebackers. They have not had a chance to show what they can do. Barnes is going to make a difference imo. We may just go with the rookie also. The new and improved Burks? But I do agree about the linemen. I'm thinking our D is going to be better than you think. I'm not completely stoked on Stokes but at least he will be good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Concur, Barnes in a rookie Covid year graded freaking awesome for a rookie let alone an undrafted one. Dude straight made plays and calls well, tackled well and didn’t play outside his role. Campbell is a highly efficient, not amazing ILB with years of experience.

I understand if they’re not the level you desire but to claim we have zero that can do what they’re supposed is choosing to be blind to the truth.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have all pros at the ILB position, but I think we have some guys that will actually play downhill more than we've had here in a while.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have all pros at the ILB position, but I think we have some guys that will actually play downhill more than we've had here in a while.

Not to mention play the pass better than some we’ve had recently. Martinez was a tackling machine at times, but played the pass well not the best.

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree here. I've got high hopes for our inside linebackers. They have not had a chance to show what they can do. Barnes is going to make a difference imo. We may just go with the rookie also. The new and improved Burks? But I do agree about the linemen. I'm thinking our D is going to be better than you think. I'm not completely stoked on Stokes but at least he will be good.
I think it’s reasonable to deduct that our DL will be similar to a slight improvement from last season. We didn’t lose anyone and we picked up Slaton and will have Keke back competing. We also have several 3rd year players at DL, which is generally where you get a modest production jump. I don’t think Tederrell is a world beater DL, but I think he keeps our competitor in that 0-2T area upfront honest. My guess is Slaton will allow Clark some rest and also be formidable on select short yardage packages alongside Clark. He’s largely not going to get moved in 1-1 matches and I mean LARGELY :cautious:

I know this isn’t a LB thread, but our LB group does coordinate with DL. LB is same to slightly better (lost Kirksey-gained Campbell) Gained McDuffie who’s an upgrade over Ty thus far. McDuffie just might have earned playing time there at a position we like to test rookies and he’s lived up to expectation thus far / gained 1 year experience for other guys competing. Not sure if I can pin Burks yet, he’s got me gun shy about making a prediction, he’s too dynamic up and down day to day.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts