PFF Grades Pre-Season vs Saints Game - Best/Worst

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will take steps throughout the season. I'm not worried about one preseason game.

Agreed, zero reason to worry about a down lineman perhaps being overwhelmed entering the next level - age is irrelevant to that "swimming moment" it may just mean you have him for less time in his career given age and body breakdown.

I think Wyatt will be gold in the future...he is blessed to be behind three folks CLEARLY and a fourth (Slaton) that he will battle for reps early as he matures.

D

Deleted member 6794

He will take steps throughout the season. I'm not worried about one preseason game.

Agreed, fans need to be aware that it seems Wyatt will rarely get snaps early in the season though.

Reaction score
How many snaps does he need in order to be evaluated?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Sorry you just had me imagining an Old Owl asking there! :p

I’m not sure if you meant that sarcastically or seriously. But I’ll answer it as serious question for benefit of the doubt. For myself, it Depends on how deep the evaluation.

If it’s just a surface level comment stuff I’d say 1 snap.

If it’s an evaluation on the level of saying we’re worried about any comment eluding to the draft selection? A season or three area.

The point was I was talking about Rookies and you were resounding with a point about resting Veterans? Which I would agree with. I’m not sure where we got off track there. I’ll just digress and crawl back into my hole and agree with Mr. Owl

Answer: 3 licks and 1 CRUNCH!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If only it was one preseason game…

Wyatt didn't play in the first preseason game vs. the Niners, so the evaluation is mostly based on his performance against the Saints. I wouldn't put too much stock into reports out of practice, especially when talking about a defensive lineman.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wyatt didn't play in the first preseason game vs. the Niners, so the evaluation is mostly based on his performance against the Saints. I wouldn't put too much stock into reports out of practice, especially when talking about a defensive lineman.

First round pick is currently pretty far down the depth chart and, if he was a 5th round pick, might not be a lock for the roster. He's been a disappointment, no way around it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First round pick is currently pretty far down the depth chart and, if he was a 5th round pick, might not be a lock for the roster. He's been a disappointment, no way around it.

He is no further behind or down depth than Gary was when he came in as a first rounder.

Wyatt is not transitioning as well as many thought but Aaron and coaching staff has faith he’s gonna be fine…until they start answering more “staged” type responses on him I’m gonna believe them.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is no further behind or down depth than Gary was when he came in as a first rounder.

Wyatt is not transitioning as well as many thought but Aaron and coaching staff has faith he’s gonna be fine…until they start answering more “staged” type responses on him I’m gonna believe them.

Gary had two great OLBs ahead of him...Wyatt is behind such illustrious fellows as Slaton, Lowry, and Reed. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but I personally expected more from a first round DT who is 24.

Reaction score
??
Funny I remember the same stuff about Rashan Gary. Several in here had him as a bust! Can you imagine? :laugh:

It’s interesting, but I watched with my own eyes Wyatt blow up his guy 1 handed and win his rep np. He was actually well on his way to getting a QB hit, but then it got Dumped for a screen pass which wasn’t well defended behind him. Another play Wyatt held his anchor in heavy traffic and caused the KC RB to go back inside into a clump and 1 yard short of the marker. The next play Heflin blew up the RB for a Turnover on downs.
See. I’m not sure what game we’re watching? but Wyatt didn’t look nearly as bad as someone is implying in here?
Did anyone actually watch his live snaps or are we taking someone else’s word for it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary had two great OLBs ahead of him...Wyatt is behind such illustrious fellows as Slaton, Lowry, and Reed. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but I personally expected more from a first round DT who is 24.

Disagree.

Gary came in with three clear guys ahead of him in Preston, Z and Fackrell.

Wyatt comes in with three clears Kenny, Lowry and Reed and one honesty possibly as well out the gate in Slaton.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what game we’re watching? but Wyatt didn’t look nearly as bad as someone is implying in here?
Did anyone actually watch his live snaps or are we taking someone else’s word for it?
This could be said about another 1st Rd player

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree.

Wyatt comes in with three clears Kenny, Lowry and Reed and one honesty possibly as well out the gate in Slaton.

Which is to be fair why many of us were skeptical of the pick for Wyatt as a 24 year old first rounder. I still think he may become special, shocked he has been as bad as he has.

Ford our 7th arguably has done more than him

Reaction score
Which is to be fair why many of us were skeptical of the pick for Wyatt as a 24 year old first rounder. I still think he may become special, shocked he has been as bad as he has.

Ford our 7th arguably has done more than him
How bad was Wyatt?
Which plays you are referring to?
Did I miss something?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bad was Wyatt?
Which plays you are referring to?
Did I miss something?

He’s been very non existent in his reps, his best showing of any kind IMO came on family night (and no not just the one play rushing love on the deep ball)

Reaction score
He’s been very non existent in his reps, his best showing of any kind IMO came on family night (and no not just the one play rushing love on the deep ball)
This just isn’t true.

These were all consecutive plays I just watched. I wanted to see for myself how bad he “supposedly” was

1st Qtr (12:30) #95 holds his ground over the RG and forces RB into #53 Edge. #53 gets held and it’s a flag -10 yard play

(12:17) 1st/20
Lines up over RG area and holds anchor. Pass away to left flat, Meg by Edge #53 at LOS. 1.5 yard gain

2nd/18
#95 Lines up over RG area, run goes away to A gap opposite side. C blocks #95 and 3 Lineman are between hiMself and RB. JJ watt prime couldn’t go through 950lb of men.
3rd/9
#95 lines up 4i off RT shoulder. Quick Pass goes away to left flat. Walker runs down RB for 3 yard gain.

In 4 plays his D allowed 6 yards and a Punt

Next series coming up in a few.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2nd Qtr (12:50)
#95 plays 4i split LG-LT
Double teamed but holds anchor and pushes 2 yards into backfield against a double. Plays goes opposite side flat to RB, yet Wyatt breaks free and hustled clear across the field. He stayed set in the double, made sure the QB didn’t squirt to his right or he would greet him. The second that play goes to his left, disengaged and sprinted toward the ball. A+ hustle

Attachments

• B7167293-761A-4B68-8DED-E228A4E620D5.png
    B7167293-761A-4B68-8DED-E228A4E620D5.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 4682FD38-D541-4E66-888F-50193B6ADC16.png
    4682FD38-D541-4E66-888F-50193B6ADC16.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Reaction score
2Q(10:56)
Did an athletic spin move Pic1 and in that frame he’s mid spin. That quick move got the OG so far off balance…

he then literally tossed his blocker like ragdoll pic 2. Blocker got pushed so hard fell 3 yards backward into his own player like a young boy trying to fight a grown man. See frame 3 where that blocker end up like a pinball

#95 spun into the heart of the pocket and was about 1 yard from getting personal. Then#95 can be seen hitting their #QB as the ball is released all up in his face. The camera losing it out of frame peeling to the play
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He was substituted in the next play. That 1st play he went out was a pass to the TE for a long KC TD. #95 wasn’t even out there

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree.

Now look at the caliber of players you just compared; let’s say Z and Clark are equivalent…Preston is far ahead of any of the linemen you mention and I’d say Fackerell is on par with Lowry. Plus, you can only start 2 OLBs while 3-4 dlineman play every snap.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m just waiting for someone to start saying Wyatt doesn’t need to show up on the stat sheet because he’s “occupying blockers”….in 53 snaps, Wyatt has one tackle, and he’s not playing against the starters.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Year after year after year, people are continually proven wrong in their player assessments by year 3, and still they’re so sure of themselves the next year with the next new crop.

Reaction score
This was another play. I time lapse displaying Wyatt’s speed.
He’s the guy holding his arm up in frame 1 so he’ll be easy to spot.
He blows by that OG so fast he suffered from wind bite. The Guard was totally out athleted and it wasn’t even close. Had that ball not gotten out inside <2 sec ? Wyatt gets a 10 yard Sack or worse. Fortunate that KC QB (Henne?) smartly unloaded it for a short gain and Punt. Henne has .25 sec before he gets assaulted for an 8 yard loss and 4th down and 17 I don’t even believe he saw #95 coming it was so bang bang.. Henne is very fortunate getting off the field here

Last edited:
Reaction score

This play Wyatt set a firm Edge 2 yards into the backfield and forced the runner in the Opposute A gap into rush hour traffic, where everything clumped and he gained <1 yard

Reaction score
This next play #95 lines over RG. He’ll be at the top most of your screen. However KC wisely attempts to double #95. You’ll see him toss the OT first. But Wyatt is forced into a 1-1 match and proceeds to use brute strength to push him on his heels 6 yards into the backfield. Notice how far back that OG was into the BF. even after getting OT help initially.
#95 still finished closest to the QB on a Double team!

This is play after play after play. If you had Wyatt’s effort and strength across that DL you’d have a starting Lineup. He was easily the best DL out there for his 26 snaps and it wasn’t even close imo.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This next play #95 lines over RG. He’ll be at the top most of your screen. However KC wisely attempts to double #95. You’ll see him toss the OT first. But Wyatt is forced into a 1-1 match and proceeds to use brute strength to push him on his heels 6 yards into the backfield. Notice how far back that OG was into the BF. even after getting OT help initially.
#95 still finished closest to the QB on a Double team!

This is play after play after play. If you had Wyatt’s effort and strength across that DL you’d have a starting Lineup. He was easily the best DL out there for his 26 snaps and it wasn’t even close imo.
Nice job posting it all

D

Deleted member 6794

Wyatt hasn't even played a single snap in a regular season game. I guess it
might be smart to wait a bit longer before declaring him a disappointment.

Now look at the caliber of players you just compared; let’s say Z and Clark are equivalent…Preston is far ahead of any of the linemen you mention and I’d say Fackerell is on par with Lowry. Plus, you can only start 2 OLBs while 3-4 dlineman play every snap.

The Packers played only an average of 2.3 defensive linemen per snap last season.

Members online

Latest posts