Peter King mentions in this round table discussion that Cobb will stay in GB

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/26/post-combine-roundtable-2015-nfl-draft-free-agency/

King: Free agency, to me, isn’t a clear picture until we see what happens with guys like Suh and Pierre-Paul. I say both end up back with their teams. Justin Houston, tagged. Cobb, back with the Packers, somehow. Julius Thomas lands somewhere. Don’t know where. Peyton Manning will not be pleased. DeMarco Murray, for some reason, I see signing elsewhere. I can’t see Dallas making him a $9-million-a-year player with significant guarantees.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans always blow FA out of proportion and worry that their best players will leave and go elsewhere. Its human nature. But fact is, if the player is good and is a key contributor to the team, then teams will find ways to keep them if they have the cap space. Its just how it is.

I'm not worried about losing Cobb at all. He's staying. I'm 100% confident.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Mr. Cobb has noted what's become of other Packers receivers who went somewhere else just for the money.

Any one seen Mr. Jones or Mr. Jennings lately?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is does a player maximize income now or look longer term? If you look at what happened to Finley and Collins then a player like Cobb could be tempted to think very shorty term. It's a gamble either way you can't blame a player for either taking the short or long term gamble.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really want Cobb back. He's a good player, good guy, good teamate. He's young, talented, hitting his prime. That said, I'm also confident that our offense will move on, should he sign for more elsewhere.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Mr. Cobb has noted what's become of other Packers receivers who went somewhere else just for the money. Any one seen Mr. Jones or Mr. Jennings lately?
Don't forget about Javon Walker.

I understand that the difference between $8 million per year and $9 per year can be $4 million over a four year contract, which is a lot of money to most of us. However, for a player that will theoretically make either $32 million or $36 million, one would think that enjoying the play environment and the chance of winning should trump the extra $4 million. Their kids will still be wearing the best shoes regardless of the contract, it has more to do with how fiscally savvy the player may be.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
… for a player that will theoretically make either $32 million or $36 million, one would think that enjoying the play environment and the chance of winning should trump the extra $4 million. Their kids will still be wearing the best shoes regardless of the contract, it has more to do with how fiscally savvy the player may be.
I agree with this but I think there’s another factor involved: Ego. IMO many/most players see compensation as a measure of how they compare to their peers. (I think that’s a factor in not having Cobb make more money than Nelson.) OTOH, getting a ring is another status symbol and Cobb hasn’t achieved that and he may believe his best chance is in Green Bay. But we shouldn’t assume only teams with bad QBs and/or offenses would be interested in him. And IMO I don’t think we should make judgments about how much money is “enough” for others, even when the amounts are in the tens of millions. I hope Cobb will agree to a contract for less than Nelson makes. And if they have to guarantee more of his contract, I’ll be fine with that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really want Cobb back. He's a good player, good guy, good teamate. He's young, talented, hitting his prime. That said, I'm also confident that our offense will move on, should he sign for more elsewhere.
IMO, with or without Cobb, we'll be really good and probably odds on favorites to win the NFC North again. I like him and would like to see him back with the Packers, but only with a contract that makes sense for the Packers.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Cobb back as much as anyone but I disagree with the comparisons to Jennings and Jones. Cobb is an electric playmaker and I honestly believe he could put up great numbers wherever he went. Yes, having the best QB in the league is a perk for sure and his numbers wouldn't be the same if he had RGIII throwing balls at his feet but the kid is a flat-out playmaker deluxe. He is not a burner in the truest sense but he has speed as well as a knack for finding holes in the secondary which is of utmost importance to QB's. He is a true student of the game and on top of that a model citizen. In short, he is a Packer which is why I really hope we work something out with him! I am not sure if he still is, but when he left Kentucky he was the All Time leader in total yardage for the SEC. There have been some pretty special players come out of the SEC and for Randall to hold that honor speaks to the kind of skills he possesses. Again, I am not saying we don't need him or that he would put up gaudy numbers on any team in the league. I am saying that this is a guy hitting his stride and entering the prime of his career so comparing him to a couple guys that had already peeked is a bit misleading. G P G!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can put up numbers wherever, too. I think his abilities are on a higher level than Jones and Jennings. That said, I am not worried about whether he's a Packer this season. The CBA makes it so easy for teams to retain their free agents at the expiration of the rookie contract. So so so easy. If Thompson doesn't want to lose Cobb, he won't. Easy. I fully expect Cobb to get a new contract soon. If not, if he leaves town, I'll trust that Thompson knows more than I do, and trust that there's good reason for Cobb leaving. There's no reason to expect that the Cobb situation is up in the air at all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, what if the coaching staff really likes Adams? Only so many passes to go around with lacey in the backfield, does it make sense to pay your slot receiver a ton of money? You're paying Nelson a lot and you've got Adams on a rookie deal with Rodgers at QB; how loaded does the WR group really need to be? Perhaps management feels that defense is what's holding this team back and it might be better to spend money on that side of the ball. Not saying that's right, just throwing it out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't have to be the Devil's advocate, i can see that happening too. I've said it before, I love Cobb. There's not much not to like. Great guy, great teammate, he has built a great relationship with his qb, works hard, doesn't run his mouth. Talented, confident, has humility, respects the game, his teammates and opponents. I want guys like him at every position.

But there are a lot of ways to win in the NFL. Losing Cobb would put more pressure on everyone else, but i'm confident the players we have right now on the roster would adapt and we'd move on. Still scoring points and moving the ball among the best in the NFL. We have a great RB, we have Jordy, Adams is an up and comer, I think Rodgers is going to have a big, but unspectacular year. He's going to make a few big catches for first downs when we need them and give our offense another 4 downs and keep the chains moving when we need it. He's not going to be the 40 yard down the seam guy hurdling would be tacklers. And that's fine with me.

I think anything more than 9 mil is too much. Maybe he gets a nice 3 year contract so he has a chance to hit it big again?? Lots of ways they could structure a contract to keep him here. I don't want huge money spread out over lots of years at a position they are historically very, very good at drafting. We've lost some huge names, Driver, Jennings, Jones and kept right on trucking. that says something.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps management feels that defense is what's holding this team back and it might be better to spend money on that side of the ball. Not saying that's right, just throwing it out.

The Packers actually spend a lot of money on the defense. Last year they were ranked 3rd in the league with $69 million of the cap committed to the defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually spend a lot of money on the defense. Last year they were ranked 3rd in the league with $69 million of the cap committed to the defense.

True enough. It's not for lack of caring or trying; they just overall haven't gotten the best 'bang for the buck' on that side of the ball.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But we gotta spend more. We don't need anyone except Aaron on offense so why not spend the rest on defense?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you do need 10 other guys out there, and there is a league minimum, so...:)

Actually I think you could get by with 7 others besides Aaron. If he could snap the ball to himself so we could get by with 7 total. As long as Jordy lines up on the LOS we will be fine.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think you could get by with 7 others besides Aaron. If he could snap the ball to himself so we could get by with 7 total. As long as Jordy lines up on the LOS we will be fine.

Not picking on you and halfempty, but I think the Seahawks game showed that our offense is hardly without room for improvement

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not picking on you and halfempty, but I think the Seahawks game showed that our offense is hardly without room for improvement

Sorry, I had hoped that by my previous posts people would have figured out I was being sarcastic and I think half empty was playing along. Perhaps you are like me and you don't always read who makes the posts so I sometimes have difficulty putting names with words and it takes a while to make associations with posters and their overall feelings. Its only when posters keep harping on the same things (like I have been doing) that I start to get it.

There is always room for improvement even with our offense. I guess the point I was trying to make is even if you do think our defense is the problem (I would agree) it's not to a good idea to start taking away some of the key parts on offense just to make the defense better. That is not improvement. That is not even standing pat. That is going backwards.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers wasn't 100%.....He was playing on one leg. The only improvement we needed was his knee improving to 100% before that game took place. Maybe we would have taken more chances through the air.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Occasionally we are surprised by Ted Thompson. He did trade up to get Clay Matthews. He signs Julius Peppers. One change in behavior he should consider is putting the franchise tag on Randall Cobb. All the capaholics out there might go nutso, but here's something to chew on: the Packers have a key component of the offense for one more year, minimum. The cap number is $12 million and change, more than Jordy is making quite honestly. But you know if Cobb hits the market he is gone. The Raiders are said to be drooling to get a shot at him and don't really care what they have to spend. His market value is going to top $9 million. The Packers have the room this year, and it will give them a shot at making a long term deal.
The reality is no rookie receiver can do what Cobb does as well. Jeff Janis? Really? Boykin? Really?
With the loss of Finley at tight end, you need a top-level threat, already well versed in McCarthy's system to keep the ball rolling, so to speak.
The Cowboys tagged Dez Bryant for the same reason. Cobb should get the tag and work on a long-term deal. If he doesn't want a long-term deal, you have one year of breathing room to find a replacement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Occasionally we are surprised by Ted Thompson. He did trade up to get Clay Matthews. He signs Julius Peppers. One change in behavior he should consider is putting the franchise tag on Randall Cobb. All the capaholics out there might go nutso, but here's something to chew on: the Packers have a key component of the offense for one more year, minimum. The cap number is $12 million and change, more than Jordy is making quite honestly. But you know if Cobb hits the market he is gone. The Raiders are said to be drooling to get a shot at him and don't really care what they have to spend. His market value is going to top $9 million. The Packers have the room this year, and it will give them a shot at making a long term deal.
The reality is no rookie receiver can do what Cobb does as well. Jeff Janis? Really? Boykin? Really?
With the loss of Finley at tight end, you need a top-level threat, already well versed in McCarthy's system to keep the ball rolling, so to speak.
The Cowboys tagged Dez Bryant for the same reason. Cobb should get the tag and work on a long-term deal. If he doesn't want a long-term deal, you have one year of breathing room to find a replacement.

I don´t think the Packers will put the exclusive franchise tag on Cobb. While not likely there´s a possibility Thompson decides to use either the non-exclusive or transition tag on Randall which would allow him to negotiate with other teams once free agency starts but the Packers would have a right to match any offer.

Members online

Latest posts