1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Perspective on the Favre INTs

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Arles, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Arles

Arles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Because of the large difference in pass attempts for many QBs, the INT record is a bit misleading (and you can also argue the TD one to a lesser degree). For instance, Blanda now has fewer INTs than Brett, but he threw a pick on 6.9% of his total pass attempts. On the flip side, Brett has thrown one on just every 3.3% of his passes.

So, a better measure is TD vs INT %. I checked the TD and INT % per attempt for some of the best passers of all time (with atleast 8 full seasons as a starter). I ranked them by difference between the two:

Young: 5.5%, 2.6%: +2.9
    Manning: 5.6%, 2.8%: +2.8
    Montana 5.1%, 2.6%: +2.5
    Marino 5.0%, 3.1%: +1.9
    Favre 5.0%, 3.3%: +1.7
    Dawson 6.3%, 4.9%: +1.4
    Jergensen: 5.9%, 4.5%: +1.4
    Tarkington 5.3%, 4.1%: +1.2
    Kelly 4.9%, 3.7%: +1.2
    Elway 4.1%, 3.1%: +1.0
    Moon 4.3%, 3.4%: +0.9
    Unitas 5.6%, 4.9%: +0.7
    Bledsoe 3.7%, 3.1%: +0.6
    Aikman 3.5%, 3.0%: +0.5
    Fouts: 4.5%, 4.3%: +0.2
    Bradshaw 5.4%, 5.4%: 0

So, when it comes to "risk/reward" of some of the top passers of all time, Favre ranks comfortably fifth. For Young, too, you need to understand he had about half the full seasons as a starter that Brett had (and barely made the 8 season cutoff).

2. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Even int's per game surprised me when I looked up Aikman and Marino;s stats. I guess after you've retired a few years no one even remembers the int's. I do like though when Tom Jackson says his favoriteFavre record is the int's but he means it in a good way cause of what it says about the way he plays

3. evad04

evad04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice work, aries! I am also a believer that there is more to these interceptions than simply total volume. I don't know if you had a chance to see these stats I compiled, but I posted this on a different thread:

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP!

Great thread, IMO.

5. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd seen this before. One other thing that doesn't get taken into consideration is I like how my buddy (who isn't even a Favre fan) said he admired him cause to him Favre was the same as Tiger wins. Either he plays balls out to win or nothing. While a lot of guys when the game seems lost start just throwing checkdowns against a prevent D to pad the stats Brett would rather sling it into triple coverage if it at least give us a 5 % chance of winning instead of conceding

6. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The numbers are misleading when comparing older QB's (say, pre-1980) to the newer guys, because they did not throw so many short passes back then, and the rules did not favor the O-line and the receivers so much.

Compared to his contemporaries, Favre's INT numbers are a bit high, but not drastically high by any means.