Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy that Mike McCarthy sure did a great job coaching our guys up to avoid those stupid penalties they made under Sherman. :roll:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah good thing! Also a good thing he didn't try to win in the 4th quarter because we wouldn't have got to see him sitting there with that "I'm confused" look on his sweat filled face.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penalties can kill any team, but come on guys, Sherman was a great coach, they can teach and coach all they want but when you get in a game and you want to win there are going to be penalties by all teams...its just being competive and trying hard to win...

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a response to a thread earlier on in the week where someone said that MM had coached away those stupid penalties the Packers seemed to make under Sherman. I notice none of the individuals making such a claim have bothered to post in this thread.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Boy that Mike McCarthy sure did a great job coaching our guys up to avoid those stupid penalties they made under Sherman. :roll:

Well, were committing about a third of the penalties we were seeing last year.

Harris committed a stupid face mask and Carroll well...that's Carroll.

K-Rob committed an offensive interference penalty which is an improvement over Fergy who usually sits there and watches the defender pick off the pass. K-Rob, in fact, knocked down two passes that probably would have been intercepted had it been Fergy.

I think the "0" line committed all of two penalties. Franks for illegal procedure and a holding call on Colledge. If that's not acceptable I don't know what is.

At least Clifton and Taush aren't jumping or holding every 5th play like last year.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
TOPackerFan said:

K-Rob committed an offensive interference penalty which is an improvement over Fergy who usually sits there and watches the defender pick off the pass. K-Rob, in fact, knocked down two passes that probably would have been intercepted had it been Fergy.

I think the "0" line committed all of two penalties. Franks for illegal procedure and a holding call on Colledge. If that's not acceptable I don't know what is.

At least Clifton and Taush aren't jumping or holding every 5th play like last year.

So you're saying what, things have improved?

I don't think so.

And it's inaccurate to say that Tauscher is highly penalized.

That's just plain wrong!

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tausher has three holding penalties his entire career (two of which came this year).

Harris and Carroll each were flagged three times. Franks had a stupid illegal formation penalty.

Colledge and K-Rob got hosed on their respective penalties.

My point, again, was simply that coaching matters little when it comes to penalties and I'd argue that last night bore that theory out.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Tausher has three holding penalties his entire career (two of which came this year).

Harris and Carroll each were flagged three times. Franks had a stupid illegal formation penalty.

Colledge and K-Rob got hosed on their respective penalties.

My point, again, was simply that coaching matters little when it comes to penalties and I'd argue that last night bore that theory out.

I agree. I was only mentioning Taush because befor last year I don't think he ever had a holding call but there were more false starts by both he and Clifton than normal. I remember this well because we were having enough trouble on offense last year and procedure penalties hurt us. That has not happened for the most part this year.

A couple of those penalties were stupid on the players part. Harris' face mask for sure. That has nothing to do with the coach. He knows better than that.

A couple were just knit picky calls. The one that really ticked me off was the crap call on Harris when he gave a simple push off about three plays after the no call on Jennings play that killed that drive. That was a third down no call where the guy grabbed him on his cut and never did turn him loose.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
This is a response to a thread earlier on in the week where someone said that MM had coached away those stupid penalties the Packers seemed to make under Sherman. I notice none of the individuals making such a claim have bothered to post in this thread.

I thought baiting wasn't allowed here. :roll: :-?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

The Coaching wasn't good last night and the penalties were there. So the valid point can be made both ways. Again it comes down to discipline and the Packers were looking discipline over the past 3 weeks and that's some thing they weren't under Sherman just a year ago. Last night they looked like they were under Ray Rhodes in terms of discipline. It looked like they expected to lose and when they got the lead it looked like they expected to give it away. Penalties are apart of every game and every team but a Coach can be a factor by the way he handles them in practice. From what's been said on the Radio and paper, McCarthy has hounded guys about mistakes made. What happens next week will show whether the media in GB is objective or just obsessively optimistic.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
TOPackerFan said:

exactly... :D

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
warhawk said:
TOPackerFan said:

exactly... :D

Exactly what? Are you saying you were impressed with our performance in the penalties area last night because I sure wasn't.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well IMHO Mike Sherman is a much better coach than MM.

And I am based on what we have seen so far, MM allways have that I AM LOST look in his face, but it is not his fault, the blame should be on the one who made him HC.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:

And I am based on what we have seen so far, MM allways have that I AM LOST look in his face, but it is not his fault, the blame should be on the one who made him HC.

I enjoy that you guys base your opinions on facial expressions.

jesus ****ing christ, i love packerforum.com

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:

I think both do things better than one another. MM is better with QB's and probably has a better offensive mind for the game. Sherman I think is better at making adjustments when needed and preparing for the opponent.

Overall as of now I agree that Sherman is a better overall Head Coach because of his sucess as a coach and track record before that.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Chamuko said:

I think both do things better than one another. MM is better with QB's and probably has a better offensive mind for the game. Sherman I think is better at making adjustments when needed and preparing for the opponent.

Overall as of now I agree that Sherman is a better overall Head Coach because of his sucess as a coach and track record before that.

Both posts:

:eek:fftopic:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you compare two guys in completely different situations?
MS came on with a veteran squad and kept a veteran squad his entire career. He showed no interest in young players or teaching football. When it came to replacing a player it wasn't going to be from the ranks of what once was a rookie let alone a rookie if all possible.

Every chance he had he went to FA for players.

MM comes in to the a situation where we have the youngest team in the NFL. Many of these guys are going through the process of being taught how the NFL game is played.

You can expect to continue to see more young players than older players. Not to say FA's won't be added but more young guys will be added than old.

It would be a luxury and the turning point for MM will come WHEN he is doing more coaching than teaching.

Two completely different and totally incomparable positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts