Pass Protection issues

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen many threads about dealing with the loss in some manner but I wish to discuss pass protection specifically and not limited to the loss. I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one and I think this is a really important issue so I started a new one to discuss it specifically.

I'm really starting to worry about our pass protection. I've been worried about it for several weeks now. We are scarily thin at this position (LT, RT, LG and RG)I think if they don't find a way to fix this problem in time for the playoffs, we are going to be in some trouble. Our starters are hurt (Bulaga, Cliffy), now our backups are hurt (Sherrod) and we are swapping guards with offensive tackles in the middle of the game. Maybe instead of dwelling on the loss, maybe we should be paying attention to what could be or already is a huge problem. I think in many ways lack of pass protection is one of the main reasons why we lost yesterday's game or why our normally high scoring offense was held to so few points. It also could explain why Aaron Rodgers looked so off, I would use the word uncomfortable in the pocket yesterday is because he was afraid that pocket protection would dissipate into thin air. We have the best QB in the league. If the Packers have any interest in keeping him, they'd best be working on protecting him. With the Bears and Lions coming up (Peppers and Suh) I am more than a bit nervous.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers "Should" have HFA by the time thet play the Lions, with the o l issue, I say let Rodgers play one or two series, then sit him

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree pass protection is key. I think they use the spread formation too much, don't get me wrong with a healthy O-line this makes sense. But, with the current status of our injury riddled O-line, I would move away from the spread a bit and mix in some max protection. Another idea is using what the Chargers did you contain T. Suggs yesterday," San Diego was especially effective against Suggs, often employing McMichael as an extra blocker wherever Suggs lined up. It was a strategy that flustered the four-time Pro Bowler." B-more sun. MM should've changed some protection schemes during halftime to contain Tamba Hali, but now that just water under the bridge. Bring on the Bears! Go Pack Go!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This is my biggest concern.

I think pass protection also results in our poor running game.
As a whole this team has not run the ball well in the second half of the season. The time to peak for power is now, like last year the running game picked up just in time for the offense to build around it going into the playoffs. I just don't like the picture of us going into the playoffs telling Rodgers to put it in the air 40-50 times. New Orleans did that last year in the playoffs and they lost to the Seahawks, barely mustering 50 yards on the ground.

Something's gotta give. If our O-line is healthy I'm still not sure we'd be running the ball good enough. People are blaming this loss on Jennings absence, but that's really no excuse with our depth WR corps.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers have a month to get the OL healthy for the playoffs. I hope Clifton can play a little against the Bears to begin to get the rust off and if he can AND stay healthy that will go a very long way to solidifying pass protection. Even if he's not 100% I like him better at LT than Newhouse at this point. I was happy to see Sitton play yesterday - he has to get back into a grove too. I really hope he's as healthy as he's been all year because I think injury is the reason he hasn't duplicated his play from last year. IMO Lang overall has been an upgrade at LG and Wells has been the steadiest OL. Bulaga just has to get healthy for the playoffs.

If Clifton can play and is just adequate come January 14 or 15 and they line up him at LT next to Lang, Wells, Sitton, and Bulaga they'll be better than OK. <fingers crossed>

The injury to Sherrod really sucks. He could have used a full offseason before the season and now he probably won't get a full offseason of work in 2012. IMO he's still our best hope (on the roster) as the LT of the future. I hope the break is "clean" and heals quickly.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Obviously, having Clifton and Bulaga in four weeks will cure all...Super Bowl still in play.

For now, McCarthy is great at addressing problems. (He finally got Walden out of there yesterday, didn't he?) He'll pick a remedy. The best medicine for the o-line right now would be to run the ball. Let them mash on the Bears & Lions defenses to get their confidence going, instead of always going backwards into pass pro.

I'll be suprised if the Packers don't rush for 100yds.+ each of the next two weeks, especially if SF loses tonight and there is little to play for.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, having Clifton and Bulaga in four weeks will cure all...Super Bowl still in play.

For now, McCarthy is great at addressing problems. (He finally got Walden out of there yesterday, didn't he?) He'll pick a remedy. The best medicine for the o-line right now would be to run the ball. Let them mash on the Bears & Lions defenses to get their confidence going, instead of always going backwards into pass pro.

I'll be suprised if the Packers don't rush for 100yds.+ each of the next two weeks, especially if SF loses tonight and there is little to play for.

Pack should run the Power O, punch the Bears and Lions in the mouth. Rodgers passes for 300 yrds total in final 2 games but both opponents get run over! :D

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For now, McCarthy is great at addressing problems. (He finally got Walden out of there yesterday, didn't he?)
He did, but Zombo came in and sucked, allowing the edge to be free and Battle to pop it to the outside and end the game. I read that players were pissed off about Zombo losing containment.
That ROLB is a cancer on this team.... Brad Jones failed, Zombo isn't getting it done, healthy or not. Walden was playing okay for awhile but he's not getting it done. It's a hole.

Back to the OL.
We had depth as Newhouse and Sherrod are supposed to be backups, but too many damn injuries. I hate the injuries. Clifton is so shaky that even when or if he comes back, who here would expect him to make it through 3 playoff games without getting re-injured?

I feel awful for Sherrod, like someone just pointed out.
And like someone pointed out last night, I also am mad at Newhouse for that play because it was him on that play, once again, who was abused by Hali... never once did Newhouse stone Hali. Lock and hold.

There aren't any offensive tackles ready on our practice squad or out on the street.
I think Mark Tauscher has to be in play.

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is also one of my biggest worries, going into post-season. It certainly doesn't help when injuries thin it out even more. Hali just walked all over them. Something's got to change or we won't make it far in the playoffs. And we certainly can't rely on the defense to help much.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
He did, but Zombo came in and sucked, allowing the edge to be free and Battle to pop it to the outside and end the game. I read that players were pissed off about Zombo losing containment.
That ROLB is a cancer on this team.... Brad Jones failed, Zombo isn't getting it done, healthy or not. Walden was playing okay for awhile but he's not getting it done. It's a hole.

Reminiscent of T. Buckley, A. Carroll, etc. isn't it? Now, teams are targeting our ROLB. First they line up WR's so that Woodson and Matthews are on the same side, then they attack the Packers right side.

At least we don't have DC's Sanders or Slowik stupidly blinking at the mayhem. I think McCarthy/Capers will adjust...unfortunately they'll have to wait four or five months for the personnel changes TT can provide.

Anyway, I hear ya on Clifton, but, I'm hoping we can squeeze three more servicable games out him in the postseason.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is also one of my biggest worries, going into post-season. It certainly doesn't help when injuries thin it out even more. Hali just walked all over Newhouse. Something's got to change or we won't make it far in the playoffs. And we certainly can't rely on the defense to help much.
Hali this week, Jason Pierre-Paul 2 weeks ago. Jared Allen a couple times earlier, Peppers is coming.... there are a lot of great edge pass-rushers from that side. Harrison or Suggs if we make it that far.... It's just too bad we don't have one because Clay needs help.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Pass Protection is god awful right now and it needs to be addressed quickly in time for the playoffs. Whether that means getting Clifton and Bulaga back and healthy or signing someone, it needs to be taken care of. I understand it isn't in TT's nature to sign players like that, but I don't think he really has a choice unless he wants to throw this season away

Pass Rush is still a problem but is still not our biggest concern. Our defense is still capable of being great when they choose to and in a way we can still succeed with a lack of pass rush.

But if we can't score on offense, we're fuked to say the least. That's where the concern for pass protection comes in. If we can't protect Rodgers he can't put up points. That ability to score is the only reason we have been able to win games this season. And if we can't do it we're going to get trashed by any team with a halfway decent defensive front.

Ted better get to work signing someone to help us. I'm pretty sure we could sign Tauscher off the street and he could do better than Newhouse right now. Something needs to happen quick.

OP
OP
Kitten

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really really glad we have the 1st round bye, that might make all the difference for us in terms of getting our guys ready for the playoffs. I'm much more worried about the O-Line than the D. The D has not cost us games as long as the O was playing elite. If Cliffy and Bulaga are not back by the playoffs, we are going to have to run the hell out of the dang ball or trust in Sherrod. That is going to mean a healthy Starks, Grant and we will see just what Saine is made of. The way this season has been so far, our offense is they keystone to our game.

It makes me wonder if TT has anything in his bag of tricks.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Not trying to toot my horn but a few weeks ago when everyone was decrying how our defense was our Achilles heel I raised the issue that our O line was what we should have been worrying about (so I guess I just I just did). If we can't keep ARoge upright the train may not stop but it will sure slow down. I am waiting to hear how bad that break is in sherrods leg. Breaks have ended linemans careers before. I was all about going full bore into the playoffs but circumstances have changed. Right now we need to get the #1 seed and then protect the franchise and heal the line going into the divisional game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OL has become a problem because of injuries. Sitton, Clifton, Bulaga (two times injured now), Sherrod. You can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken ****. We don't have the bodies.

I hope Pittsburgh wins tonight so we can play Flynn the rest of the way before Rodgers gets killed.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*#&@^%#@

#Packers rookie T Derek Sherrod broke both the tibia and fibula in his right leg, according to a source. http://tinyurl.com/7295gr6

Does anyone here have a medical background?
Can he even come back from this and play again?
That's brutal. Newhouse not blocking Hali almost got Rodgers killed time and time again, and it allowed Hali to run around him which led to this play.

And now Newhouse is our only remaining healthy OT. Great.

OP
OP
Kitten

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
*#&@^%#@

#Packers rookie T Derek Sherrod broke both the tibia and fibula in his right leg, according to a source. http://tinyurl.com/7295gr6

That's brutal. Newhouse not blocking Hali almost got Rodgers killed time and time again, and it allowed Hali to run around him which led to this play.

Sigh. I don't have a medical background but I know enough to say the only good thing about this is it wasn't the femur. The tibia and fibula are bones in the lower leg. I can say with some certainly that he's done for the season. I think it may be way too soon to start talking about this as a season ending injury. If they are clean breaks and they heal nicely, that's what we can hope for. It may be a case where this is going to be his weak leg for life. This makes me sad more than I can say. My prayers to Sherrod for healing.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a power running option. I think Kuhn up the middle a few times a game would help. That would open up the pass and a HB toss or two. So easy to coach from my laptop! lol

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Gotta get them healthy. I am anti resting starters but I don't mess around always when it comes to o line issues and protecting the franchise. Of course with the Steelers loss tonight the Packers still have to clinch so Sunday is a must win game now against a tough Bears D. It never ends.......

On the bright side if you clinch Sunday night then you can potentially rest a bit against Detroit. I really hate to see the Lions win a game if the Packers pull guys but when the perfect season is over at this point whatever. I just don't want Suh and those Lions all up on Aaron taking cheap shots.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I was reading some of these threads via tapatalk on the long ride home,... had to save my "likes" and agreements till I could log on and find the thread again.
Like Kitten said... I hope Teds got something up his sleeve or something to that effect before SUNDAY!

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*#&@^%#@

Damn... I'm not surprised. The injury even looked nasty on TV. Poor guy.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to forget about the 3, 5, and 7 step drop backs and throw down field for at least for a game. MM has to see that Rodgers just doesn't have enough time for that. Quick passes...screens, slants, short over the middle and 2 TE offenses would be a much better gameplan IMO. And run the ball!!

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen many threads about dealing with the loss in some manner but I wish to discuss pass protection specifically and not limited to the loss. I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one and I think this is a really important issue so I started a new one to discuss it specifically.

I'm really starting to worry about our pass protection. I've been worried about it for several weeks now. We are scarily thin at this position (LT, RT, LG and RG)I think if they don't find a way to fix this problem in time for the playoffs, we are going to be in some trouble. Our starters are hurt (Bulaga, Cliffy), now our backups are hurt (Sherrod) and we are swapping guards with offensive tackles in the middle of the game. Maybe instead of dwelling on the loss, maybe we should be paying attention to what could be or already is a huge problem. I think in many ways lack of pass protection is one of the main reasons why we lost yesterday's game or why our normally high scoring offense was held to so few points. It also could explain why Aaron Rodgers looked so off, I would use the word uncomfortable in the pocket yesterday is because he was afraid that pocket protection would dissipate into thin air. We have the best QB in the league. If the Packers have any interest in keeping him, they'd best be working on protecting him. With the Bears and Lions coming up (Peppers and Suh) I am more than a bit nervous.
I couldn't agree more. A loss is a loss, not a big deal, but we lost more than just a game. The offensive lineman problems are the big issue. You need those big men protecting and opening holes for the running back.

Rodger's is the MVP in the league, but even he can't throw laying on his back.

We need to run the ball a lot more... we have plenty of good running backs. Takes pressure off having to throw so much and loosens up the defense. Balance out our offensive attack.

As you said, the big worry is the O line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts