Packers Trading Up?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough call here...depends on if a guy like Upshaw actually slips down a bit to around 15 where a trade would be more reasonable. I think as the top pass rush prospect he'll go earlier. The other guys out there are iffy and I wouldn't want to gamble on trading up for them.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm not sure we will unless the FO is sold on someone they know won't be around when we pick.

We have done it before but when we traded up to get Raji and Matthews I think we did it more or less because we had to. The prior year we had played a 4-3 scheme and Dom had just been brought in and we needed a true Nose Tackle and a Rush Linebacker and we didn't have that.

So I think that's really the only reason we traded up at that time. I'm not sure there will be a need anyway to trade up in this draft. This class is stacked with Pass Rushers so you really can't go wrong and it would take an idiot to not be able to pick a good DE/OLB from this draft class.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure we will unless the FO is sold on someone they know won't be around when we pick.

We have done it before but when we traded up to get Raji and Matthews I think we did it more or less because we had to. The prior year we had played a 4-3 scheme and Dom had just been brought in and we needed a true Nose Tackle and a Rush Linebacker and we didn't have that.

So I think that's really the only reason we traded up at that time. I'm not sure there will be a need anyway to trade up in this draft. This class is stacked with Pass Rushers so you really can't go wrong and it would take an idiot to not be able to pick a good DE/OLB from this draft class.

we only traded up to get Matthews, Raji was available when we picked.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we only traded up to get Matthews, Raji was available when we picked.
That's correct. Raji was expected to go higher and when he slid to us at #9, we had to take him.
There was some debate that we might take WR Michael Crabtree.... thank God we didn't.

Courtney Upshaw was not that impressive at all today.
NFL Network's Michael Lombardi mentioned him when asked who was disappointing today among LB/DEs.

Bruce Irvin or Vinny Curry might be our guys....

Nick Perry was so wide, there's no way he's an OLB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are people so hung up on the combine? I think tape of an actual game is more important then the combine

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is this draft class really stacked? From what I've read there are a couple guys at the top of the draft that are unique talents...everyone else like Mercilus and Perry there a major question marks about.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How many compensation picks will the Packers have and where will they be in the draft? Will the Packers tag and trade Flynn and if they do, what pick or picks will they receive for him? I expect the answers to those questions to have a significant effect on whether or not Thompson trades up. (Remember the extra pick for Favre was used to move up to grab Matthews.) If the Packers get an end of the third round comp pick (unlikely) AND a second rounder for Flynn for example, I think the chances of going up for someone increases.

BTW, I absolutely agree with longtimefan. The combine is great to get actual measurements - how tall is the QB his college generously listed at 6-2 really? Watching and measuring players in position drills and interviewing them to get a sense of them as teammates is important but IMO how they performed in real games is more important than combine measurables.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are people so hung up on the combine? I think tape of an actual game is more important then the combine
to me the only thing that I look for at the combine is if the player shows up prepared. Not 20 lbs heavier than he was but in better work out shape now that he has more time in the gym.

Everyone made the biggest deal of RG3's 40 time, as they should it was phenomenal. But how many times did a QB last season run for 40 yards or more? Maybe twice? I think the first 10 yards are relevant but everything else is just something to talk about and compare players across different positions.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, but if they dont match up or match each other(combine results and game tape). That can be a red flag for you to analyze the player more and be more careful about selecting them. Plus the interview process at the combine is important for the teams too. Not that you mentioned that part but I thought I would.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if they dont match up or match each other(combine results and game tape). That can be a red flag for you to analyze the player more and be more careful about selecting them. Plus the interview process at the combine is important for the teams too. Not that you mentioned that part but I thought I would.

We dont see the interviews tho..

The parts we do see (at least for me) are not really anything but entertainment to pass the time..

KanataPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A demonstration of athleticism I think is important. Whether the players show up in shape and ready to go speaks to their maturity. I think they also blood screen them which may be a huge issue for PED and recreational drugs.

I'm not convinced TT is moving up. I can actually see him trading down to increase his odds of finding a potential starter at OLB. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Safety selected early too as I am not convinced we'll ever see Collins in a Packer uniform ever again. House has potential, and Woodson might be a convert to Safety, but I do think we need to address the longterm status of the safety position with the conservative approach that Collins is done.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We dont see the interviews tho..

The parts we do see (at least for me) are not really anything but entertainment to pass the time..

Entertainment, yes. But also lots of important informantion gathered to help you make the correct decision on whether or not to draft these guys.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A demonstration of athleticism I think is important. Whether the players show up in shape and ready to go speaks to their maturity. I think they also blood screen them which may be a huge issue for PED and recreational drugs.

I'm not convinced TT is moving up. I can actually see him trading down to increase his odds of finding a potential starter at OLB. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Safety selected early too as I am not convinced we'll ever see Collins in a Packer uniform ever again. House has potential, and Woodson might be a convert to Safety, but I do think we need to address the longterm status of the safety position with the conservative approach that Collins is done.

Agree, I get the feeling that the draft board will play out that unless we trade up, the kind of player we can get at #28 will roughly be the same quality of player to be had at say, #36 or so. Trading back seems like a real possibility for TT at this point. We could stay put and perhaps get Still but I'm lukewarm at best on him. If Barron is there you probably take him.

If Fletcher Cox is within 5 picks or so I would have no problem trading up for him to be the new DE, he's that good - IMO.

A few players that I like in Rd 2 are Reyes and McCllelin, Ronnell Lewis seems OK too.

I really like Doug Martin as a RB(Ray Rice type who can catch and pass protect) but that would be a luxury not a neccesity.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Entertainment, yes. But also lots of important informantion gathered to help you make the correct decision on whether or not to draft these guys.

There are a few things relevant, and should be relevant..But for ME putting in game tapes should be more important

KanataPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, I get the feeling that the draft board will play out that unless we trade up, the kind of player we can get at #28 will roughly be the same quality of player to be had at say, #36 or so. Trading back seems like a real possibility for TT at this point. We could stay put and perhaps get Still but I'm lukewarm at best on him. If Barron is there you probably take him.

If Fletcher Cox is within 5 picks or so I would have no problem trading up for him to be the new DE, he's that good - IMO.

A few players that I like in Rd 2 are Reyes and McCllelin, Ronnell Lewis seems OK too.

I really like Doug Martin as a RB(Ray Rice type who can catch and pass protect) but that would be a luxury not a neccesity.
I just can't see Barron getting past the Broncos. Dawkins is nearly done and has had his own neck issues to deal with. I'd love to pick up Barron, but if we could land Harrison Smith by trading back I would be pretty happy as well.

I quite honestly did not see any OLB that would fall in our drafting ballpark that I thought "we need this guy".

I'm liking the idea of Chase Minnifield in our backfield as a second round guy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With 2 4s comp, and 3 7s (2 comp) extra we'll probably move up somewhere, but I doubt it will be round 1

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's slightly better than that, HyponGrey - 4 seventh rounders:
Round - overall pick
1 - 28
2 - 59
3 - 90
4 - 123
4 - 132 Comp pick
4 - 133 Comp pick
5 - 163
6 - 197
7 - 224 From NYJ for Schlauderaff
7 - 235
7 - 241 Comp pick
7 - 243 Comp pick

Comp picks in red because they can't be traded.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round - overall pick
1 - 28
2 - 59
3 - 90
4 - 123
4 - 132 Comp pick
4 - 133 Comp pick
5 - 163
6 - 197
7 - 235
7 - 241 Comp pick
7 - 243 Comp pick

Jack or anyone else,
What would you think of trading our 6th and two 7th round picks for an extra 4th or early 5th round pick(haven't looked at the trade chart for verification). I don't know if any team would even bite, but does it really make alot of sense drafting 12 players this year considering perhaps only 9 will make it to the final roster or practice squad anyway? And we can always get rookie FA's for the practice squad as well. Plus I think the talent level drops off quite abit once you get into the 6th and 7th rounds. Thoughts?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What would you think of trading our 6th and two 7th round picks for an extra 4th or early 5th round pick(haven't looked at the trade chart for verification). I don't know if any team would even bite, but does it really make alot of sense drafting 12 players this year considering perhaps only 9 will make it to the final roster or practice squad anyway? And we can always get rookie FA's for the practice squad as well. Plus I think the talent level drops off quite abit once you get into the 6th and 7th rounds. Thoughts?
From this trade value chart (I used the one linked below only because it’s dated 2012 – if someone has a better one I’d be interested in seeing it) that trade would only get them up to about pick #187 in the 6th round. In fact the chart doesn’t even list a value for pick #235, I assigned it two points which is probably optimistic.
http://drafttek.com/tradechart.html

I made the same argument you’re making before last year’s draft. I reasoned that a Super Bowl winning and deep team didn’t need quantity, just quality so I expected Thompson to trade up and continue the trend of picking fewer and fewer picks each draft (9 to 8 to 7 from 2008 to 2010). So of course Thompson trades down three times in the last draft, picks 10 players and signs 15 UDFA! Don’t get me wrong, I can certainly see Thompson trading up this draft and even execute a more dramatic trade-up than you’re suggesting. But just like those who posted Thompson would not sign a UFA this off season (a reasonable idea based upon history), I am gaining humility in attempting to predict what Thompson will do. BTW, I view Thompson's unpredictability as a good thing.

And as I’ve posted before, I really don’t think Thompson knows for sure whether he’ll trade up, down, or stay put until he sees how the draft is actually playing out. I do think they look at talent tiers in the draft and that has a lot to do with trading picks.

yallniggascheesewiz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the value at "tweeners" is after the first round, and I kind of don't like the players at the top of the draft. There's no question TT is drafting at least one pass rusher. Nick Perry is good but I wonder if he's already reached his full potential... I don't know that is just from what I've seen. They'll probably have at least 3 pass rushers targeted at 28 that and pick the one they like the most whenever that may be.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Round - overall pick
1 - 28
2 - 59
3 - 90
4 - 123
4 - 132 Comp pick
4 - 133 Comp pick
5 - 163
6 - 197
7 - 235
7 - 241 Comp pick
7 - 243 Comp pick

Comp picks in red because they can't be traded.

You do realize that's exactly what I said only diagrammed right? I named our extra picks: 2 4's comp and 3 7's (2 of which are comp)

PLENTY of talent found in 6-7 rounds. I believe it was 08 but 'll have to check. Also by your logic there is no talent in the undrafted free agents because they would have been drafted otherwise.

Caio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
these are the guys i would like to see us make a move for

Upshaw
Hightower - some say he can play OLB
Perry
Branch
Mercilus

Personally I like Perry.

or have you another person in mind?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
these are the guys i would like to see us make a move for

Upshaw
Hightower - some say he can play OLB
Perry
Branch
Mercilus

Personally I like Perry.

or have you another person in mind?
Meh, I would probably prefer Branch; I'm biased against Perry.

Members online

Latest posts