Packers to target Rams CB Trumaine Johnson in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is very little doubt in my mind, especially after the Randall trade, that the Packers plans are to address the CB position through free agency. Yes, they probably will augment it via the draft as well, but right now they have put themselves into the position of needing to sign at least 1 quality CB and possibly a mid tier guy. As good as the pool of CB's available in the draft may appear, I don't think you can count on a rookie coming right in and starting.

Signing a single mid tier guy would put us at least equal to where we were last year so in that respect I don't think we have to go after one of the premier guys. Obviously being equal to a point that was not very good last year is not the goal but my point is with one mid level signing we are in the same spot plus we have Kizer (though some people would consider that a negative) and we moved up in the draft in two rounds.

Whenever you lose a guy you need to look at minimum of replacing him with equal talent. I don' think that will be too hard in Randall's case. There has to be some mid level guys that are at least as good if not a bit better, and we can improve from there.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is catching the ball instead of knocking it down considered "flashy" ? I consider it the objective of a corner to catch those balls he gets his hands on just like a receiver is expected to catch the balls he gets his hands on. There's no indication that breeland or Johnson aren't just as consistent as colvin at being in position. The difference is they have proven that they create turnovers at a much higher rate. And in fact if we go off passes defensed they still are far and away better than colvin. Colvin has 14 in 4 seasons compared to 59 for breeland and Johnson has 47 over those same 4 seasons. I seriously hope gute does not waste valuable cap space on colvin

Because actually catching an interception is flashy for a cornerback. Interceptions is one of the worst ways to judge a corner, they're fluky. Don't forget a lot of these guys moved from wide receiver because they didn't have hands. Defending the pass consistently creates turnovers as well and while it's nice to have an interception, having the defense get off the field consistently is just as important. FWIW, I like the idea of grabbing Breeland and Colvin over Trumaine. I think for what Trumaine is looking for, we could get close to signing both of those guys. However, if Trumaine takes a discount for some reason to come here, I'm all for it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because actually catching an interception is flashy for a cornerback. Interceptions is one of the worst ways to judge a corner, they're fluky. Don't forget a lot of these guys moved from wide receiver because they didn't have hands. Defending the pass consistently creates turnovers as well and while it's nice to have an interception, having the defense get off the field consistently is just as important. FWIW, I like the idea of grabbing Breeland and Colvin over Trumaine. I think for what Trumaine is looking for, we could get close to signing both of those guys. However, if Trumaine takes a discount for some reason to come here, I'm all for it.

Don't get me wrong I like Johnson I wanted the Packers to draft him when he was coming out of Montana. I just don't think he's worth the salary cap space hes gonna command. If you can get him for less than 10 million per I say do it. But I doubt that will be the case. I'd rather they sign breeland for 5/6 per year add 2 or 3 corners in the draft and sign Jimmy Graham for 7/8 million a year. I think that makes the team much better than signing Johnson for 12 million a year

Reaction score
Even if that's true I don't see paying Johnson 12 million a year as being smart, he's not worth that and then you'll be in same position stuck with a player whose vastly under preforming in relation to their cap number.

Breeland 4 seasons ints 2, 2, 3, 1 ff 7 fr 2 pd 59

I think breeland would be the best option when considering price and likely production
I think as a #2 we should look at Patrick Robinson. He should be affordable and we could steal him from the Eagles by doing a 2yr deal at an affordable price.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I like Johnson I wanted the Packers to draft him when he was coming out of Montana. I just don't think he's worth the salary cap space hes gonna command. If you can get him for less than 10 million per I say do it. But I doubt that will be the case. I'd rather they sign breeland for 5/6 per year add 2 or 3 corners in the draft and sign Jimmy Graham for 7/8 million a year. I think that makes the team much better than signing Johnson for 12 million a year

You lost me at Jimmy Graham... the dude is done. He's only a redzone threat really and I'm not cool paying a redzone threat 7/8 million a year. However, I would sign Breeland for 5/6 and work toward Colvin. Then we should be good going into the draft and we can focus on the linebackers and a tight end.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When teams franchise a player and don't reach a long term deal with them that raises some red flags for me. The reason to tag them in the first place is to give yourself time to work something out and if the player doesn't do enough to facilitate that I'm not sure I want to pay him the going rate for top tier talent. I'm afraid Johnson is going to get more than he is worth. The Rams let him go for a reason. OK they let him go because they got Peters but the only reason they went after him was because Johnson wasn't all they wanted him to be for the price he was likely going to want.

Along with what I said earlier when you have a position that was as bad as our secondary was last year even two mid level guys will be an improvement and they don't come with as big a risk. I assume King will be one of our starters and I think he will be fine. He was drafted to start eventually and he didn't play much last year so I think you can almost look at it like he is a rookie and a highly drafted one at that. Go after a guy like Colvin or Breeland or Robinson who will be an upgrade over Randall and draft a rookie to develop. Maybe even draft 2 or sign a lower then mid tier FA for a little bit of money and restock.

You can't always turn a position of weakness into a position of strength but you can make it less weak and improve other positions in the meantime and that will help.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You lost me at Jimmy Graham... the dude is done. He's only a redzone threat really and I'm not cool paying a redzone threat 7/8 million a year. However, I would sign Breeland for 5/6 and work toward Colvin. Then we should be good going into the draft and we can focus on the linebackers and a tight end.

I wish we could bet that graham is done. Jared cook/martellus Bennett got 7/8 million a year you'd rather pay one of them? In 2016 graham had 65 catches 923 yards 14.2 yards a catch and 6 tds hardly just a red zone threat. And that was with a QB nowhere near the likes of drew Brees let alone Aaron Rodgers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you conveniently leave out the other 10 games vs the rest of the league. Hate to rain on your parade but TY Hilton led the league in yards FROM THE SLOT in 2016. I'd do more research but there's no need to.

Divisional games account for half the season (8 games). Ty Hilton is not a slot receiver and conveniently you didn't research whether or not he was in the slot while playing the Jaguars.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure 3 inches and 16 pounds is a big difference. And they both ran 4.6 so neither is very fast. As far as athletic measurements Johnson had a 1 in better vertical. Breeland 1 in better in broad jump and about 2 tenths of a second better in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle. So as athletes they are very similar

Breeland's broad jump doesn't matter when he's 3" shorter than Johnson. Also, who cares about their similarities as athletes. Which one is a Pro Bowler? (Johnson) and which one isn't? (Breeland). More importantly, which one would be a great fit for Mike Pettine's system? The answer...Trumaine Johnson.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breeland's broad jump doesn't matter when he's 3" shorter than Johnson. Also, who cares about their similarities as athletes. Which one is a Pro Bowler? (Johnson) and which one isn't? (Breeland). More importantly, which one would be a great fit for Mike Pettine's system? The answer...Trumaine Johnson.

Pro bowl is whatever all pro is what matters. Nobody is arguing breeland is better than Johnson just arguing that it would be a better allocation if resources to pay the younger breeland half as much for very similar production. That being said I'm by no means gonna be upset if Johnson is a packer

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Johnson makes me quite nervous. He’s solid, but his team has never felt good enough about him to invest long term. I was at UM at the same time he was. He had the reputation of being a major knucklehead. Of course he was a kid and people can mature, but when I consider that no one has wanted to commit... it’s troubling.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnson makes me quite nervous. He’s solid, but his team has never felt good enough about him to invest long term. I was at UM at the same time he was. He had the reputation of being a major knucklehead. Of course he was a kid and people can mature, but when I consider that no one has wanted to commit... it’s troubling.

Missoula is an awesome place

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Howie Roseman is reportedly looking to accrue a day 2 pick and might be willing to part with a corner to do it.

They flipped Jordan Matthews and a 3rd for Ronald Darby. Given that there’s only one year left on Darby’s rookie deal now, maybe a 3rd alone could get it done.

He’s 24 and he’s a really athletic man corner. I like that better than anything on the market. Plus his first year he’d only cost 1M.

He was picked in Buffalo in the Ryan era. Obviously schematically there is a lot of crossover with Pettine. Buffalo moved him once they moved to a zone scheme.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The L.A. Rams franchise tagged him two years straight, paying a premium for his services. Multi-year contracts are far from ironclad in the NFL. Hell, if I were an elite NFL talent, I would prefer to play on expensive one year deals.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The L.A. Rams franchise tagged him two years straight, paying a premium for his services. Multi-year contracts are far from ironclad in the NFL. Hell, if I were an elite NFL talent, I would prefer to play on expensive one year deals.

Most corners of his age and caliber receiver 4-5 year deals with half or more of it guaranteed.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
I'm hoping for Trumaine....size, speed, athleticism. Big cover corners are worth their weight in gold. Hopefully King can turn into a legit one as well.

As long as we land Johnson, Butler, Colvin or Melvin I'll be happy.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we could bet that graham is done. Jared cook/martellus Bennett got 7/8 million a year you'd rather pay one of them? In 2016 graham had 65 catches 923 yards 14.2 yards a catch and 6 tds hardly just a red zone threat. And that was with a QB nowhere near the likes of drew Brees let alone Aaron Rodgers.

To be honest, I'd rather not pay any of them for what they do. I think you're underrating Wilson and I think you're overrating a pure pass catching tight end. Graham doesn't add anything to the blocking game, so your play calls are limited. The same thing is going to happen if you draft a rookie, pass catching tight end. Fully disguising a tight end in the offense is tough, but no one is going to be fooled when Graham is on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.