Packers to target Rams CB Trumaine Johnson in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There is very little doubt in my mind, especially after the Randall trade, that the Packers plans are to address the CB position through free agency. Yes, they probably will augment it via the draft as well, but right now they have put themselves into the position of needing to sign at least 1 quality CB and possibly a mid tier guy. As good as the pool of CB's available in the draft may appear, I don't think you can count on a rookie coming right in and starting.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure Gute has any free agent priorities given the cap situation. He may pick a few guys off the scrap heap for the minimum but unless he really starts making huge changes to the roster he wont be able to do nuch more than TT did with free agency.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to be very difficult to sign him with our current cap unless we get a few restructures/cuts and Rodgers to get his contract done that is very team friendly. He wants to win so why not give a home team discount and lower that cap down to get both Mo and Johnson. We've done a lot of trading down to pick up more picks, I'd rather see us trade up more than once to get quality over quantity this year.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope gute stays away from Johnson. He's pretty good but not a play maker. He'd be a really good #2 corner like an Al Harris. But he's not a one and he's gonna get paid like one so pass. As for colvin I hope he finds a home elsewhere as well. He's a slot corner and he has zero career interceptions. This team needs playmakers in the secondary that create turnovers not a guy who's consistently in position but has yet to make a play. Why would we think he'd start now

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope gute stays away from Johnson. He's pretty good but not a play maker. He'd be a really good #2 corner like an Al Harris. But he's not a one and he's gonna get paid like one so pass. As for colvin I hope he finds a home elsewhere as well. He's a slot corner and he has zero career interceptions. This team needs playmakers in the secondary that create turnovers not a guy who's consistently in position but has yet to make a play. Why would we think he'd start now

So you're saying a guy that's consistently in position to make stops is not a valuable asset to the team?

Packer Fan in MN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's Colvin, Breeland, James and a few other under the radar CBs we could get through free agency.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying a guy that's consistently in position to make stops is not a valuable asset to the team?

I'm saying if I'm making the decisions I don't pay that guy min 3 years 15 million (colvin) or min 4 years 40 million (Johnson) but if I had to choose one I'd go with Johnson he does make some plays on the ball which is better than colvins zero

Johnson 6 seasons ints 2, 3, 3, 7, 1, 2 ff 2 fr 3 pd 67 career
Colvin 4 seasons ints 0, 0, 0, 0 ff 1 fr 2 pd 14

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's better than all the CBs currently on GB's roster and sometimes "boring" consistency is just as good as flashy plays, if not more important.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's better than all the CBs currently on GB's roster and sometimes "boring" consistency is just as good as flashy plays, if not more important.

Even if that's true I don't see paying Johnson 12 million a year as being smart, he's not worth that and then you'll be in same position stuck with a player whose vastly under preforming in relation to their cap number.

Breeland 4 seasons ints 2, 2, 3, 1 ff 7 fr 2 pd 59

I think breeland would be the best option when considering price and likely production

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if that's true I don't see paying Johnson 12 million a year as being smart, he's not worth that and then you'll be in same position stuck with a player whose vastly under preforming in relation to their cap number.

Breeland 4 seasons ints 2, 2, 3, 1 ff 7 fr 2 pd 59

I think breeland would be the best option when considering price and likely production

Breeland is trash compared to Johnson. While I agree 12 mil per year is steep, GB needs to address the hole at CB immediately. Johnson is great in coverage, and is a very good tackler...something Breeland is not!!!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colvin can play and at a high level. Here is a little write up on him from a year ago...

• In coverage, Colvin was one of the stingiest corners in the league. The 0.75 yards per coverage snap he allowed tied for the fifth-lowest mark amongst 117 eligible cornerbacks in 2016. Exclusively in the slot, Colvin allowed 0.78 yards per coverage snap, good for fifth amongst 52 eligible slot corners.
He had 5 INT's his final 2 years in Norman and I feel he can be a playmaker when provided the opportunity. INT's are important for a number of reasons but so is limiting catches for the opposition and he's really good at that. He's also sneaky good at getting to the QB when asked you do so. He's also a high character guy and ultra competitive. My hope is we end up with both AC and bring back TWill. I'd be stoked if that happened.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breeland is trash compared to Johnson. While I agree 12 mil per year is steep, GB needs to address the hole at CB immediately. Johnson is great in coverage, and is a very good tackler...something Breeland is not!!!

Really Johnson has 18 ints in 6 seasons breeland has 8 in 4. Breeland 7 forced fumbles to Johnson's 2. Add in fumble recoveries and you've got a total of 23 turnover plays for Johnson along with 67 passes defensed and 281 tackles to breeland 17 turnover plays along with 59 passes defensed and 211 tackles. So Johnson has played 2 more seasons and has produced just 6 more turnovers, 8 passes defensed and 70 more tackles. From where I'm sitting I don't see how breeland is trash compared to Johnson especially when he's gonna cost half as much per season. To me it looks like you're getting nearly identical production for half the price. Johnson is bigger but not by much with breeland being 5-11 197.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colvin can play and at a high level. Here is a little write up on him from a year ago...

• In coverage, Colvin was one of the stingiest corners in the league. The 0.75 yards per coverage snap he allowed tied for the fifth-lowest mark amongst 117 eligible cornerbacks in 2016. Exclusively in the slot, Colvin allowed 0.78 yards per coverage snap, good for fifth amongst 52 eligible slot corners.
He had 5 INT's his final 2 years in Norman and I feel he can be a playmaker when provided the opportunity. INT's are important for a number of reasons but so is limiting catches for the opposition and he's really good at that. He's also sneaky good at getting to the QB when asked you do so. He's also a high character guy and ultra competitive. My hope is we end up with both AC and bring back TWill. I'd be stoked if that happened.

Playing in the AFC South...what elite slot receiver did Colvin ever face? That's half the season facing divisional opponents. There are no elite slot receivers on the Colts, Titans, or Texans.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. If someone continuously defends passes without allowing completions, but doesn't have any interceptions, I'll take it. Flashy guys are great, but consistent players are just as good. Three and outs are great, punts are great, and turnover on downs are great too!

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched all of the Rams games this year. He is WAAAAAAAY better than anyone we have on our team. And a huuuuge upgrade over Randall.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really Johnson has 18 ints in 6 seasons breeland has 8 in 4. Breeland 7 forced fumbles to Johnson's 2. Add in fumble recoveries and you've got a total of 23 turnover plays for Johnson along with 67 passes defensed and 281 tackles to breeland 17 turnover plays along with 59 passes defensed and 211 tackles. So Johnson has played 2 more seasons and has produced just 6 more turnovers, 8 passes defensed and 70 more tackles. From where I'm sitting I don't see how breeland is trash compared to Johnson especially when he's gonna cost half as much per season. To me it looks like you're getting nearly identical production for half the price. Johnson is bigger but not by much with breeland being 5-11 197.

Johnson is 6' 2'' 213 pounds...that's a big difference. Big athletic cover corners on the outside funnel the pass game between the seams. Packers are a little strapped for cash...but if you can actually get him...why not?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing in the AFC South...what elite slot receiver did Colvin ever face? That's half the season facing divisional opponents. There are no elite slot receivers on the Colts, Titans, or Texans.
Hopkins?

Im still disappointed with the Randall trade, but Im hoping we pick up at least 1 FA CB.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love how you conveniently leave out the other 10 games vs the rest of the league. Hate to rain on your parade but TY Hilton led the league in yards FROM THE SLOT in 2016. I'd do more research but there's no need to.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnson is 6' 2'' 213 pounds...that's a big difference. Big athletic cover corners on the outside funnel the pass game between the seams. Packers are a little strapped for cash...but if you can actually get him...why not?

Not sure 3 inches and 16 pounds is a big difference. And they both ran 4.6 so neither is very fast. As far as athletic measurements Johnson had a 1 in better vertical. Breeland 1 in better in broad jump and about 2 tenths of a second better in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle. So as athletes they are very similar

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. If someone continuously defends passes without allowing completions, but doesn't have any interceptions, I'll take it. Flashy guys are great, but consistent players are just as good. Three and outs are great, punts are great, and turnover on downs are great too!

Why is catching the ball instead of knocking it down considered "flashy" ? I consider it the objective of a corner to catch those balls he gets his hands on just like a receiver is expected to catch the balls he gets his hands on. There's no indication that breeland or Johnson aren't just as consistent as colvin at being in position. The difference is they have proven that they create turnovers at a much higher rate. And in fact if we go off passes defensed they still are far and away better than colvin. Colvin has 14 in 4 seasons compared to 59 for breeland and Johnson has 47 over those same 4 seasons. I seriously hope gute does not waste valuable cap space on colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts