Packers to target Rams CB Trumaine Johnson in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The L.A. Rams franchise tagged him two years straight, paying a premium for his services. Multi-year contracts are far from ironclad in the NFL. Hell, if I were an elite NFL talent, I would prefer to play on expensive one year deals.
If I had $20m in the bank already, sure. But I, and most NFL players i think, would prefer less money that was guaranteed. Its a tough sport and any play may be your last. When your future and your grandkids future is at stake, you play it safe. When it comes down to it, $40M or $52M bank account is not going to matter much in what lifestyle to lead. But a $12M would.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Divisional games account for half the season (8 games). Ty Hilton is not a slot receiver and conveniently you didn't research whether or not he was in the slot while playing the Jaguars.
Divisional games count for 6 games. Not 8.

DMANDTM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howie Roseman is reportedly looking to accrue a day 2 pick and might be willing to part with a corner to do it.

They flipped Jordan Matthews and a 3rd for Ronald Darby. Given that there’s only one year left on Darby’s rookie deal now, maybe a 3rd alone could get it done.

He’s 24 and he’s a really athletic man corner. I like that better than anything on the market. Plus his first year he’d only cost 1M.

He was picked in Buffalo in the Ryan era. Obviously schematically there is a lot of crossover with Pettine. Buffalo moved him once they moved to a zone scheme.

I agree that Darby would be a nice pickup. Then, maybe add a veteran at a more reasonable contract. Brent Grimes is still playing at a top level and shouldn't be too expensive because of his age. They could get a couple of years out of him while the young guys are developing. Trumaine Johnson just seems too costly to me.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind laying out big bucks for a free agent. But the guy has to be a serious upgrade and an impact player.

Reaction score
I don't mind laying out big bucks for a free agent. But the guy has to be a serious upgrade and an impact player.
Agreed. More recently I’ve considered that having two 6.5 Million dollar players instead of 1 Richard Sherman type may be the way to go.

In this day and age of injury protocols and frivolous players, a particular premier $$ player goes down injured or pulls a Martellus and you’ve got zero production.
At least with 2 above average players you haven’t lost your entire investment. Plus, even if they stay healthy, you can only get so many snaps of production out of one body. You can potentially get 2,000+ snaps out of a pair of athletes. You can’t get that with 1 no matter how good they are

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Darby would be a nice pickup. Then, maybe add a veteran at a more reasonable contract. Brent Grimes is still playing at a top level and shouldn't be too expensive because of his age. They could get a couple of years out of him while the young guys are developing. Trumaine Johnson just seems too costly to me.

I like Darby as well, he's got 5 career picks and 44 passes deffenesed in 2.5 seasons. He missed 8 games in 2017. At 5-11 195 with 4.38 speed and a 41 in vertical he's pretty much sam shields. But since he's basically a one year rental albiet at a cheap cap number, Id prefer not to give up anything higher than the first pick of 4th round. And even that I'd do very reluctantly. Some package of the 4th comp and 5th comp maybe

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Darby as well, he's got 5 career picks and 44 passes deffenesed in 2.5 seasons. He missed 8 games in 2017. At 5-11 195 with 4.38 speed and a 41 in vertical he's pretty much sam shields. But since he's basically a one year rental albiet at a cheap cap number, Id prefer not to give up anything higher than the first pick of 4th round. And even that I'd do very reluctantly. Some package of the 4th comp and 5th comp maybe
Why would he be a one year rental instead of a priority extension (if earned) next off season?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he be a one year rental instead of a priority extension (if earned) next off season?

Well that's the hope right but when aquired because he's not under contract after the 2018 season and he doesn't qualify for restricted free agency the only control the Packers would have over him after the 2018 season would be to place one of the various tags on him. So essentially he's a one year rental that you hope plays well enough to warrant an extension and also hope wants to sign an extension with the Packers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had $20m in the bank already, sure. But I, and most NFL players i think, would prefer less money that was guaranteed. Its a tough sport and any play may be your last. When your future and your grandkids future is at stake, you play it safe. When it comes down to it, $40M or $52M bank account is not going to matter much in what lifestyle to lead. But a $12M would.

Prefer less money guaranteed? What a player chooses to do with their money is entirely up to them. Some invest (wisely) while others splurge. I would assume that any smart player would make sure an insurance policy is in place in the event of a catastrophic injury. Personally, regardless of loving the game, with 40m-52m in the bank along with the accolades...I would take a seat. There's coaching, front office, and media opportunities...or start a vineyard.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Divisional games count for 6 games. Not 8.

I was thinking about all four teams in total...not the other three teams for the Jaguars in this case. I was corrected. I ate my humble pie and I'm not interested in seconds.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I was thinking about all four teams in total...not the other three teams for the Jaguars in this case. I was corrected. I ate my humble pie and I'm not interested in seconds.
Well, at one time it was 8 games. back when 5 teams made up the division.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since he's better than anyone we have they should absolutely go for him. that's the point after all. he's a press corner too. something we desperately need.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:p :laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao:
I had to! Been dealing with a sick 5YO little girl and a crabby wife for days now! PF has been my release and I've been a little extra snarky. Back at work today (thankfully!) and the kiddo seems to have turned the corner. I am expecting a kinder, gentler SP this week... :)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he'd probably be an improvement but that doesn't mean Johnson would be worth whatever the Packers end up paying. According to PFF, last year Johnson gave up the 5th most yards among all corners in the NFL. They said he's a solid starter but I seriously doubt he signs for "solid starter" money.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward just got extended...12 million a year for three more years....price is going to be very high for free agent CB.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to pair Trumaine w/ King myself, but considering we are looking to sign Wilkerson, it would make more sense to throw $6.5 for 1 yr at Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie instead...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to pair Trumaine w/ King myself, but considering we are looking to sign Wilkerson, it would make more sense to throw $6.5 for 1 yr at Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie instead...
Can't say if DRC is a good tackler or not, at least from this clip.

He actually has a clean shot at a TFL and just stops and watches the RB go by.

I doubt he has toughened up a bit and we need tough aggressive players. Pass.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The L.A. Rams franchise tagged him two years straight, paying a premium for his services. Multi-year contracts are far from ironclad in the NFL. Hell, if I were an elite NFL talent, I would prefer to play on expensive one year deals.

you would be one of the very few.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can't say if DRC is a good tackler or not, at least from this clip.

He actually has a clean shot at a TFL and just stops and watches the RB go by.

I doubt he has toughened up a bit and we need tough aggressive players. Pass.

The video won’t play for me, but is that the Shonn Green touchdown against the Chargers? If so, that’s Antonio Cromartie, not DRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts