Packers to sign OT Dennis Kelly

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping he can get Adams to put away that twitter bullsh!t.

Adams situation is simply about money. The agent thinks top wr is Hopkins at 27m per...the team thinks it's Jones at 22m per

I don't see that big a gap there especially because the team is completely right about this one...I think a deal gets done

I got no problem with what adans has posted to social media...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wait until vemnRodgers makes a few poor throws or fumbles. Or Cobb drops a pass or fumbles. It's going to get noisy in here.
I'm not going to get noisy but I'm not thinking he is going to add a lot. Although he surprised me on a couple plays I saw when he was with Dallas. Maybe he will be able to get open. Then again, Dallas obviously let him go. I'm thinking the rookie will outplay him. Both on receiving and on running. Putting a 4 million dollar tag on locker room improvement? I don't think we have a locker room problem one. And two, if that was an actual criteria; then other teams would be looking to spend money on veterans so they could help in the locker room. There might be a bidding war on them.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to get noisy but I'm not thinking he is going to add a lot. Although he surprised me on a couple plays I saw when he was with Dallas. Maybe he will be able to get open. Then again, Dallas obviously let him go. I'm thinking the rookie will outplay him. Both on receiving and on running. Putting a 4 million dollar tag on locker room improvement? I don't think we have a locker room problem one. And two, if that was an actual criteria; then other teams would be looking to spend money on veterans so they could help in the locker room. There might be a bidding war on them.
His last two season were actually pretty solid. So I dont think he really dropped in play quality and production. One thing that gets overlooked easily is the insane chemistry he has with Rodgers. That alone should put him at WR2 or more likely at 3 in the depth chart. His production with Rodgers can easily increase, if no injury happens.

The locker room thing is a secondary effect that is pretty good. He has a special connection with both Rodgers' and that is probably the biggest reason why.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers told James Jones. "I gotta say the center, Josh meyers. For a guy to come in and be that comfortable, it's pretty impressive" when asked about an under the radar guy who can really help the Packers offense

This is great news as I for one trust Rodgers talent evaluation of offensive players...sounds like meyers is gonna be a good one and the Packers offense likely won't miss Linsley much. Sounds like the oline is once again gonna be a strength

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
His last two season were actually pretty solid. So I dont think he really dropped in play quality and production. One thing that gets overlooked easily is the insane chemistry he has with Rodgers. That alone should put him at WR2 or more likely at 3 in the depth chart. His production with Rodgers can easily increase, if no injury happens.

The locker room thing is a secondary effect that is pretty good. He has a special connection with both Rodgers' and that is probably the biggest reason why.
Rodgers will throw at Cobb enough to likely make your prediction come true. It will result in diminished statistical production for other WR's, TE's and RB's. Will be interesting to see what Cobb's snap count, catch rate and ypc average is.

D

Deleted member 6794

He didn't have to...just like he didn't have to for them to guarantee his 14.7 m base salary and open up the cap space needed to make some in season moves...which I've been saying all along. They only needed his signature to void the final year of his deal

You keep saying that as if it's a fact but from what I heard over the past few weeks the Packers definitely needed Rodgers to sign off on a restructured deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep saying that as if it's a fact but from what I heard over the past few weeks the Packers definitely needed Rodgers to sign off on a restructured deal.

Not true...I have read numerous articles stating what I'm stating as fact. In addition I have heard numerous people on nfl radio as well as Wilde say the same thing. I have an addiction to having sports talk radio on in the car, so I literally listen to hours a day of nfl radio.

It's the same reason Z. Smith is pissed, they did an "automatic restructure" which is the way I've heard it termed once again by numerous people. And instead of paying it out as a real signing bonus. The packers fo chose to pay it out weekly throughout the season. Which they are obviously allowed to do per contractual language but it obviously rubbed the player the wrong way.

Which is why they waited to do it to Rodgers contract until they had made amends with him. They didn't wanna **** him off to the point that he really did refuse to play for them this season

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Which is why they waited to do it to Rodgers contract until they had made amends with him. They didn't wanna **** him off to the point that he really did refuse to play for them this season
Shouldn't matter. The Packers have the next Favre/Rodgers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter. The Packers have the next Favre/Rodgers.

Well I hope so and I think he's definitely got a chance but I wasn't sure about Rodgers til we saw him start in 2008... then despite the 6-10 record it was obvious he had "it"

I assume we'll have to wait for the same with love and likely live thru the same growing pains that first year as a starter but I do think he has a real shot at being number 3 which I believe has never happened before

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glass half full- great sign- depending on cost- is the money coming from a Rodgers re-structure?

Glass half empty- our group of OL are not as good as we hoped.
Where do you see weakness in the current OL? I'm just curious, not being critical. We won't know what we have at center for awhile, hopefully a pleasant surprise. I think Bakh will return by October (better safe than sorry and ahead of schedule anyway). RT is still a question. Overall I think the OL is a strength.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Bakh is back 2 unknowns will be starting as well as a former back-up turned starter last year due to an injury. The versatility and depth are plusses but at this point I wonder if this signing means they like Kelly's experience over where the young guys are at right now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. The question is until the actual season happens, preseason maybe, I think the Kelly signing illustrates best case we have some inexperience in the OL room, worst case it is we are also not solid yet.

I think it is more inexperienced than weak mixed with Kelly was a cheap honestly.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Bakh is back 2 unknowns will be starting as well as a former back-up turned starter last year due to an injury. The versatility and depth are plusses but at this point I wonder if this signing means they like Kelly's experience over where the young guys are at right now.

Rodgers already singled out meyers for praise and in my recollection Rodgers doesn't do that just to do that especially because you know he was upset by linsleys departure...sounds to me like there's nothing to worry about at center

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers already singled out meyers for praise and in my recollection Rodgers doesn't do that just to do that especially because you know he was upset by linsleys departure...sounds to me like there's nothing to worry about at center

He has praised Myers on how comfortable he seems - I've not necessarily heard him describe the level of play Myers has - because I mean no live play has occurred. He did describe that for a tall guy Myers has excellent pad level and bend, which might surprise some folks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You can never have too many quality guys on the OL. I don't remember a season where all 5 starters stayed healthy for the entire season, nor a season where we weren't down to being forced to play some guys who started the season at the bottom of the depth chart or on the PS.

Kelly was just what Gute does. He sees a depth need and fills it with a decent player that is ready to play. No offense to TT, but he typically backfilled the roster with projects and flyers. Some of those worked well long term, but weren't ready when you needed them during the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not true...I have read numerous articles stating what I'm stating as fact. In addition I have heard numerous people on nfl radio as well as Wilde say the same thing. I have an addiction to having sports talk radio on in the car, so I literally listen to hours a day of nfl radio.

It's the same reason Z. Smith is pissed, they did an "automatic restructure" which is the way I've heard it termed once again by numerous people. And instead of paying it out as a real signing bonus. The packers fo chose to pay it out weekly throughout the season. Which they are obviously allowed to do per contractual language but it obviously rubbed the player the wrong way.

Here's what Ian Rapoport had to say about the situation in April:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It seems like Rodgers would have had to agree to restructure the deal.

Well I hope so and I think he's definitely got a chance but I wasn't sure about Rodgers til we saw him start in 2008... then despite the 6-10 record it was obvious he had "it"

The Packers ranked fifth in points scored in 2008. The offense was hardly to blame for their 6-10 record that season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Rodgers would have had to agree to restructure the deal.

The Packers ranked fifth in points scored in 2008. The offense was hardly to blame for their 6-10 record that season.

No where in that rapport quote does it say that Rodgers had to agree to the restructure. It says the Packers were scared to do it without Rodgers blessing for obvious reasons...he was already saying he wasn't gonna return to the team. They were trying to get him to return. Doing an automatic restructure could of been the straw that broke the camels back and for that reason they didn't do it

Look at Z.Smith, they did the auto restructure and he is now disgruntled...

And I clearly didn't blame the 6-10 on Rodgers...I said despite the record it was clear Rodgers had "it"... meaning he played really well despite the fact that the team took an L

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No where in that rapport quote does it say that Rodgers had to agree to the restructure. It says the Packers were scared to do it without Rodgers blessing for obvious reasons...he was already saying he wasn't gonna return to the team. They were trying to get him to return. Doing an automatic restructure could of been the straw that broke the camels back and for that reason they didn't do it

Look at Z.Smith, they did the auto restructure and he is now disgruntled...

And I clearly didn't blame the 6-10 on Rodgers...I said despite the record it was clear Rodgers had "it"... meaning he played really well despite the fact that the team took an L
You got a link for Z. Smith's disgruntlement?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You got a link for Z. Smith's disgruntlement?
I think this is what he was referring to. Just a Florio report, interpret as you see fit.