Packers to open the 2014 NFL regular season?

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most know, the Super Bowl winner hosts the opening game of the following season and the NFL (and NBC) want a high profile matchup. Seattle's home opponents for the 2014 season and their likelihood of being scheduled by the NFL are as follows:

Arizona - A good team, but probably not a **** enough opponent for opening night. Plus, I don't believe the NFL schedules division games for opening night.
St. Louis - Up and coming, but not quite ready for primetime. Division game.
San Francisco - Great matchup that would generate a lot of interest. If the NFL were to schedule a divisional game, this would be the one.
New York Giants - Poor 2013 season probably eliminates this possibility.
Dallas - Interesting matchup and Dallas fans will tell you they are Super Bowl contenders until proven otherwise, but don't think anyone else considers them upper echelon.
Denver - Definitely an intriguing matchup, but I don't think the NFL would finish one season and start the next with the same opponents. Besides, they played the Ravens in the 2013 opener.
Oakland - Um...No chance.
Green Bay - I think there's a better than 50/50 chance we'll be the opponent, with San Fran a possibility and Dallas a remote possibility. One thing working against it is the NFL may look at the fact that we had to open the 2013 season on the road against a Super Bowl participant. This would definitely be an intriguing matchup and provide the Packers a good measuring stick for the remainder of the season. Another positive is that, unless half the team goes down in the preseason, we would be mostly healthy. The Seahawks and their fans would be jacked up, but I think, unlike Denver last night, we can compete with this team. We did it in 2012 and now we have some unfinished business.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far there have been two opening games played by division opponents (2008, 2012). While it's unlikely there's a chance the Seahawks will open next season vs. the Niners.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be either Green Bay or Denver and I'm leaning more towards Green Bay. I would think the NFL would want any rematch between the Super Bowl teams to happen later in the season when the teams have a chance to be somewhat different...plus, the NFL wants good ratings on opening night and a rematch of that shellacking won't exactly get a bunch of people tuning in.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be great for the Packers to open at Seattle but only if it's a Thursday night game, and it's the only Thursday night game we play.
That way we see right away how we stack up and we wouldn't have one of those dreaded short weeks due to playing on Sunday and again on Thursday.
But I guess that would depend on when the last pre-season game is played. If it's a Sunday, fuhgetaboutit.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to play Seattle Week 1 on a national stage.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it would be great for the Packers to open at Seattle but only if it's a Thursday night game, and it's the only Thursday night game we play.
That way we see right away how we stack up and we wouldn't have one of those dreaded short weeks due to playing on Sunday and again on Thursday.
But I guess that would depend on when the last pre-season game is played. If it's a Sunday, fuhgetaboutit.

The season opener will be played on Thursday, September 4th. You bring up a great point that it would be great to only play on a Thursday in week 1.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it the league will put Giants or Dallas on that game. They seem to think the world and TV ratings revolve around the NFL East teams along with the Pats. Outside chance of Arizona or SF. Packers will likely do Seattle on a Sunday night.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After that beat down, I don't see the NFL putting Denver back on national TV with Seattle.

Personally, I'd love the chance for the Packers to win week one at Seattle.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have my fingers crossed it's not Green Bay at Seattle opening night. Really don't want to start the season on another sour note.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most know, the Super Bowl winner hosts the opening game of the following season and the NFL (and NBC) want a high profile matchup. Seattle's home opponents for the 2014 season and their likelihood of being scheduled by the NFL are as follows:

Arizona - A good team, but probably not a **** enough opponent for opening night. Plus, I don't believe the NFL schedules division games for opening night.
St. Louis - Up and coming, but not quite ready for primetime. Division game.
San Francisco - Great matchup that would generate a lot of interest. If the NFL were to schedule a divisional game, this would be the one.
New York Giants - Poor 2013 season probably eliminates this possibility.
Dallas - Interesting matchup and Dallas fans will tell you they are Super Bowl contenders until proven otherwise, but don't think anyone else considers them upper echelon.
Denver - Definitely an intriguing matchup, but I don't think the NFL would finish one season and start the next with the same opponents. Besides, they played the Ravens in the 2013 opener.
Oakland - Um...No chance.
Green Bay - I think there's a better than 50/50 chance we'll be the opponent, with San Fran a possibility and Dallas a remote possibility. One thing working against it is the NFL may look at the fact that we had to open the 2013 season on the road against a Super Bowl participant. This would definitely be an intriguing matchup and provide the Packers a good measuring stick for the remainder of the season. Another positive is that, unless half the team goes down in the preseason, we would be mostly healthy. The Seahawks and their fans would be jacked up, but I think, unlike Denver last night, we can compete with this team. We did it in 2012 and now we have some unfinished business.
On the one hand we should go there in week one and get our first loss over with and out of the way.
(I would hope to be proven wrong and that we somehow win. Seahawks have an outstanding record in front of their 12th person crowd.)
On the other, give us a few games first to warm up and be ready to face the Hawks in their noisy place.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Wouldn't want it. While the Packers fan in me wants it to happen. The football fan says, Niner's are the better match up with all the smack going on. I'd gladly see a Niner's/Seahawks beat down to open the season. It'd be lovely to see them beat up each other to start the season.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't want it. While the Packers fan in me wants it to happen. The football fan says, Niner's are the better match up with all the smack going on. I'd gladly see a Niner's/Seahawks beat down to open the season. It'd be lovely to see them beat up each other to start the season.
Yeah, there ya go.
And next time we would get any 40Whiners fans/trolls coming here, we could add another game to rub it in.
We can already mention the NFC championship loss and that their hated rival went on to win it all.
What did we do with our hated rival, the Bears? We beat them to keep them out of the post season.

Atesh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be Niners not us for opening game. Like everyone says Niners vs. 'Hawks championship game was the real Super Bowl for this season so thats why Niners should face off agaisnt 'Hawks. And also "Fail" Mary was on MNF. So it should be on MNF again next year too.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No.... don't want to see an US vs Seahawks game to start the season. That is no way to boost confidence in the team after last season. We need a for sure win to start off the season.

OP
OP
Royal Pain

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.... don't want to see an US vs Seahawks game to start the season. That is no way to boost confidence in the team after last season. We need a for sure win to start off the season.

I can't think of a better way to gain a boost of confidence than to go into the Super Bowl champions house on opening night and kick their butts. The Seahawks are not as dominant a team as they showed in the SB. They caught lightning in a bottle for one game, but they are beatable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't think of a better way to gain a boost of confidence than to go into the Super Bowl champions house on opening night and kick their butts. The Seahawks are not as dominant a team as they showed in the SB. They caught lightning in a bottle for one game, but they are beatable.

I would love to go in their in Week 1 and get a win, but they're a tough opponent and right now a better team than the Packers.

Since Wilson starts at QB for them they're 17-1 (should be 16-2) at home, allowing an average of 13.2 points.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Rightfully it'd be the 9ers, but the league wants div games at the end of the year, which means the Cards (who beat them in Seattle) are also out. Broncos are the next choice, and I don't think the SB whallop would deter the league. If it did, we'd be next.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to go in their in Week 1 and get a win, but they're a tough opponent and right now a better team than the Packers.

Since Wilson starts at QB for them they're 17-1 (should be 16-2) at home, allowing an average of 13.2 points.
You are right that they are beatable because every team always is. We and the Cheatriots have already shown that recently.
But Captain is right. Seattle right now is very tough to beat at home with their help from the 12th Person. (Why do they call it "12th Man" when there are female fans?)
Even though I disagree with you RP, I can appreciate your faith in this team.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Having to travel out to the west coast is tough any ways, then having to deal with that noisy stadium, them coming off a SB win.... NO THANKS..... they need to schedule us to play the Jags/browns/raiders/vikes/Bucs for our first game LOL

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Not to mention: 1st game of the season means we will ALL hopefully be healthy, we don't need to face off vs a hard hitting / head hunting team like dirty Ol' seaCawks.... we would be missing 5+ starters with our damn bum luck after that match up.

Members online

Latest posts