Packers targeted Ryan Shazier in 1st round

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this article today, thought some of you would be interested to read it. Apparently we really wanted Shazier as he would be a great spy for mobile QB's.

Link: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

I wish we could have got him, as Haha isn't even with the 1st teamers in camp yet. I am already panicking on him a bit.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That’s an interesting article and very well may be true but I didn’t see a reference to his source, not even an unnamed employee somewhere in the city the Green Bay. :D

While some of us may believe otherwise or prefer the opposite, I think it’s reasonable to believe the Packers liked Shazier better than Mosley because of his speed. Since the Packers had no chance of drafting either without trading up, it’s a moot point.

As to panicking about Clinton-Dix, I don’t think there’s any reason to. Just being handed the starting job doesn’t make a rookie better. Exhibit A for that proposition is Nick Perry. Clinton-Dix is getting and will continue to get plenty of snaps to acclimate to the NFL. Here’s a jsonline piece about the staff being happy with his progress at this early date: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nton-dixs-progress-b99322501z1-269633881.html

I wrote this on another thread: I'm sure Clinton-Dix will get every opportunity to win the job from Hyde but safety is a difficult position for a rookie. Neither Sharper, Butler, nor Collins excelled at safety in their rookie seasons. My guess … is Clinton-Dix will replace Hyde at the safety spot in sub packages as Hyde goes to cover the slot receiver. If Clinton-Dix does win the starting safety job it'll be because he deserves it and not because there aren't any other options.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this article today, thought some of you would be interested to read it. Apparently we really wanted Shazier as he would be a great spy for mobile QB's.

I wish we could have got him, as Haha isn't even with the 1st teamers in camp yet. I am already panicking on him a bit.

Calm down man. He's been in the NFL for a grand total of a couple months. Just going to stress yourself out.

OP
OP
PackersBacker

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down man. He's been in the NFL for a grand total of a couple months. Just going to stress yourself out.
That’s an interesting article and very well may be true but I didn’t see a reference to his source, not even an unnamed employee somewhere in the city the Green Bay. :D

While some of us may believe otherwise or prefer the opposite, I think it’s reasonable to believe the Packers liked Shazier better than Mosley because of his speed. Since the Packers had no chance of drafting either without trading up, it’s a moot point.

As to panicking about Clinton-Dix, I don’t think there’s any reason to. Just being handed the starting job doesn’t make a rookie better. Exhibit A for that proposition is Nick Perry. Clinton-Dix is getting and will continue to get plenty of snaps to acclimate to the NFL. Here’s a jsonline piece about the staff being happy with his progress at this early date: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nton-dixs-progress-b99322501z1-269633881.html

I wrote this on another thread: I'm sure Clinton-Dix will get every opportunity to win the job from Hyde but safety is a difficult position for a rookie. Neither Sharper, Butler, nor Collins excelled at safety in their rookie seasons. My guess … is Clinton-Dix will replace Hyde at the safety spot in sub packages as Hyde goes to cover the slot receiver. If Clinton-Dix does win the starting safety job it'll be because he deserves it and not because there aren't any other options.

He probably just didn't want to out the source.

I am probably a little biased though, I wasn't a fan of Haha in the whole predraft process and was a little disappointed we ended up with him. Most of what you said makes sense and there is no reason to panic yet.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

One should not bank on rookies, this is the time the veterans need to prove themselves. Bring this topic back to life at the end of December.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to some of the "experts" Shazier was to "small" to play ilb lol. Yet he got picked up by the Steelers to play ilb and we targeted him?? Guess I wasn't crazy eh?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's waaaayyyyyy too early to panic on Dix. I mean he hasn't even gone through all the installs on defense or played in a pre-season game yet. I would of been okay with Shazier or Mosley but I think we got great value with Dix. If we traded up for Shazier we probably wouldn't of gotten Adams who IMO is going to be a beast.

We have so many good athletic outside linebackers that with the right scheme the defense is going to play faster overall. I don't think just having one fast ILB last year would of changed that much overall with all the other problems.

Also, I know he is an UDFA but I am still pushing for Joe Thomas to keep making some noise in Pre-Season games. Great athlete with natural football instincts. He might be a guy that can come in on nickle or dime and bring some athleticism in middle.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hindsight (limited hindsight mind you), I wish the Packers had drafted Shazier as well. Considering how well Hyde and Richardson are playing so far at safety, Shazier could have been just what the doctor ordered for this defense. Damn Steelers. Apparently Shazier been flying around the field showing the athleticism and speed that made some consider him even better than CJ Mosley. CMIII - Hawk - Shazier - Peppers with Perry, Lattimore, Jones and Neal subbing in--How's that for a solid LB crew? That would have been something.

Members online

Latest posts