GB Draft Trends - Who Is Left For Targets...

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i give up. you will never convince me that he was a "great pick" or even a good one. and i will never convince you or tyni that he was not a good pick. we don't need to go back and forth any more.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i give up. you will never convince me that he was a "great pick" or even a good one. and i will never convince you or tyni that he was not a good pick. we don't need to go back and forth any more.

It's okay to be wrong. :) LOL - actually I'm just happy you provided some reasoning outside of just sheer opinion like many do, granted I didn't agree some references pointed towards your side of things I still love when conversations and discussions of disagreements can happen without either side getting - for lack of a better term dumb.

Go Pack Go in the end anyways!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés it seems both you, Paul Bretl and some others I've seen used the GB tendencies to approach predictive players all seem to circle or come back around to three prospects which I also am feeling are high high probablity and that is George Karlaftis, Daxton Hill and our buddy George Pickens.

And honestly I'll go as far as to say you bring home two of those three and this draft I bet you in three years will be judged as a success - that is how confident I am of all three of those being solid NFL players at the next level.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Dantés it seems both you, Paul Bretl and some others I've seen used the GB tendencies to approach predictive players all seem to circle or come back around to three prospects which I also am feeling are high high probablity and that is George Karlaftis, Daxton Hill and our buddy George Pickens.

And honestly I'll go as far as to say you bring home two of those three and this draft I bet you in three years will be judged as a success - that is how confident I am of all three of those being solid NFL players at the next level.

Yeah I’ve come around on Hill. I can’t remember who, but someone asked me why I wouldn’t consider him in round 1 and I said something about not wanting to draft a true backup that early. But I’ve come around. He checks too many boxes in terms of ball production, age, athleticism, etc. And he’s super versatile so you give yourself immediate and high quality depth at multiple spots.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve come around on Hill. I can’t remember who, but someone asked me why I wouldn’t consider him in round 1 and I said something about not wanting to draft a true backup that early. But I’ve come around. He checks too many boxes in terms of ball production, age, athleticism, etc. And he’s super versatile so you give yourself immediate and high quality depth at multiple spots.

It was me, you compared him to Savage too much...but then did circle back after seeing how natural he is in the slot and how he can play multiple roles early for us if needed and seemed to be coming around back then. I will say IF we draft him Savage is most likely in his last year unless he truly explodes in production.

Reaction score
I'm struggling with this reasoning...you are aware that keeping Smith and Gary's snap counts under 65% was very intentional by the staff? Barry is not one to over snap edge guys - especially so when the ranks are getting depleted as they were for us last year and they were our only two healthy guys most of the year.

By your standard Nick Bosa not a good pick.
Ed Oliver not a good pick.
Vita Vea not a good pick.
Marcus Davenport not a good pick.
Bradley Chubb not a good pick.

Myles Garrett was barely a good pick...
Kenny Clark barely makes the cut...

Joey Bosa didn't make it his third year...nor the last two...
I’m agreeing. Gary came into a loaded Edge group his Rookie season. Plus, Rashan was known to need an extra year to mature as a college Junior.

Rashan technically has time to peak from an age point of view. Imo Rashan has been a solid #12 overall draft pick and he’s just getting into his prime. Rashan hasn’t even peaked and he’s already a top 10 Edge. Rashan is a kid, he just turned 24yrs old last December.

Question is.. who can we bring aboard as our 3rd that can pair with him by next season?? I’d be completely ok with Karlaftis. While he’s no JJ Watt, he has similarities to a Smaller JJ. He’s just has that motor and nose for finding crafty ways to win.
A 6.89 3-cone??(6.78 Pro-Day)
38” Vertical? (Tied Rashan Gary) What??!
You just can’t double Gary, Karlaftis and Clark and Reed simultaneously. Something has to give

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m agreeing. Gary came into a loaded Edge group his Rookie season. Plus, Rashan was known to need an extra year to mature as a college Junior.

Rashan technically has time to peak from an age point of view. Imo Rashan has been a solid #12 overall draft pick and he’s just getting into his prime. Rashan hasn’t even peaked and he’s already a top 10 Edge. Rashan is a kid, he just turned 24yrs old last December.

Question is.. who can we pair with him that will challenge him by next season?? I’d be completely ok with Karlaftis, although I’m liking him more anytime after our #22.
Karlaftis is a guy I love but he is an entirely different edge piece that his most lethal role may very well be down and in...he adds some special versatility we don't have.

I expect Garvin to keep getting better and hope minimum in this draft we find a piece similar to Garvin at WORST that has immense ceiling and potential. I personally love another young prospect Drake Jackson from USC for the future and the now. With Smith and Gary both entrenched and Garvin the inside track at #3.....you only need that support guy that is capable of handling 15-30% of the snaps - most likely in situations where it is pin ears back and make pressure happen (less responsibility). Drake is a young guy that I feel hasn't scratched his potential fully and should potentially be there in the 2nd for us.

A later round guy I like is Ali Fayad from Western Michigan...he comes from a small school, is a smaller framed OLB somewhat and is older having played 5 years in college....BUT he is oober athletic, has a motor that runs hot and as they say production is production (putting up 13 sacks last season and over 31 sacks in four years with the shortened covid season). Strength isn't his strong suit, so don't expect a ton of help in run defense especially early...but you want a young man that can run with his ears pinned back Fayad on Day 3 could be special.

Reaction score
:cool:Karlaftis is a guy I love but he is an entirely different edge piece that his most lethal role may very well be down and in...he adds some special versatility we don't have.

I expect Garvin to keep getting better and hope minimum in this draft we find a piece similar to Garvin at WORST that has immense ceiling and potential. I personally love another young prospect Drake Jackson from USC for the future and the now. With Smith and Gary both entrenched and Garvin the inside track at #3.....you only need that support guy that is capable of handling 15-30% of the snaps - most likely in situations where it is pin ears back and make pressure happen (less responsibility). Drake is a young guy that I feel hasn't scratched his potential fully and should potentially be there in the 2nd for us.

A later round guy I like is Ali Fayad from Western Michigan...he comes from a small school, is a smaller framed OLB somewhat and is older having played 5 years in college....BUT he is oober athletic, has a motor that runs hot and as they say production is production (putting up 13 sacks last season and over 31 sacks in four years with the shortened covid season). Strength isn't his strong suit, so don't expect a ton of help in run defense especially early...but you want a young man that can run with his ears pinned back Fayad on Day 3 could be special.
I do agree with your principle of not overlapping at a particular position. It’s one of the reasons I am annoyingly persistent at OL. If someone like Penning is there etc.. that guy gets nearly every O snap as a Rookie.

While I know I’m dreaming. Our ideal scenario is we trade up slightly to get Garrett Wilson. That would erase a lot of past WR draft woes for my boy Aaron. If we double down and get Pickens with #28??
I will smooth drive to Wisconsin and kiss Gute on both cheeks Mafia style. Plus additionally. I promise to refrain from any Gute “slights” for an entire mini camp. :cool:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was me, you compared him to Savage too much...but then did circle back after seeing how natural he is in the slot and how he can play multiple roles early for us if needed and seemed to be coming around back then. I will say IF we draft him Savage is most likely in his last year unless he truly explodes in production.

Yes indeed. Or if they plan to keep Savage and replace Amos, they may target someone else besides Hill.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm struggling with this reasoning...you are aware that keeping Smith and Gary's snap counts under 65% was very intentional by the staff? Barry is not one to over snap edge guys - especially so when the ranks are getting depleted as they were for us last year and they were our only two healthy guys most of the year.

By your standard Nick Bosa not a good pick.
Ed Oliver not a good pick.
Vita Vea not a good pick.
Marcus Davenport not a good pick.
Bradley Chubb not a good pick.

Myles Garrett was barely a good pick...
Kenny Clark barely makes the cut...

Joey Bosa didn't make it his third year...nor the last two...
Would you stop with the facts please. There is no place for that here.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Savage is who we've seen. Can't cover TE's, doesn't create turnovers, too often utilizes poor tackling technique and has very little in the way of football instincts. More than any other starter on defense, he needs to be replaced imo. His replacement must be brought in now and Amos's eventual replacement no later than 23 draft imo. Hill or Brisker fit the bill imo. Need to get one of these guys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary is a fixture of the GB future...I'm sorry but I'm so incredibly happy you weren't the GM writing names down in this case. It is rumored Gute had Gary as high as a top 5 prospect that in our staff's opinion had ZERO reason to even still be there, you take that pick everyday of the week and twice on sunday.

Folks fail to remember Gary was behind two Smiths and Fackrell who just had an INSANELY good year (and has proven quite a capable OLB in the league since leaving)...no rookie was coming in lighting the stat sheet up.
I hadn't heard that. If that rumor is true, all bets are off every year because imo, almost no one had Gary that high on any board. That would mean that Gutekunst and his scouts see things very differently from not only the amateurs (which I already suspected), but most of the other GM's in the league as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that. If that rumor is true, all bets are off every year because imo, almost no one had Gary that high on any board. That would mean that Gutekunst and his scouts see things very differently from not only the amateurs (which I already suspected), but most of the other GM's in the league as well.

He was picked 12th, and Gute made it clear their staff felt he had no business being available that late. I get that sometimes the pundits and “experts” don’t always think same but in the end it only matters what Gute and Co think.

In a way Gute has proven his board doesn’t always jive with what folks say his “should be”

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He was picked 12th, and Gute made it clear their staff felt he had no business being available that late. I get that sometimes the pundits and “experts” don’t always think same but in the end it only matters what Gute and Co think.

In a way Gute has proven his board doesn’t always jive with what folks say his “should be”
Lol, that's the truth. I'll stand on his side I think when it comes to assessing prospects that fit well with the Packers.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll just say this - if this team is worried whether a player is 22 or 20 as an example, they should have their heads examined. They have a 1-3 year window with AR, and they need guys that can play. Now under normal circumstances, you may want to take a younger player, because it’s possible there could be further development with a younger guy, but other then that it doesn’t make sense, because most guys aren’t with the same team for 7-8 years.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll just say this - if this team is worried whether a player is 22 or 20 as an example, they should have their heads examined. They have a 1-3 year window with AR, and they need guys that can play. Now under normal circumstances, you may want to take a younger player, because it’s possible there could be further development with a younger guy, but other then that it doesn’t make sense, because most guys aren’t with the same team for 7-8 years.

However often day 1 and day 2 guys are your next six to eight years. Gute would be doing a disservice to the organization and his job if he just doesn’t care at all for the future at all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nobody had him that high; a lot of people were wrong. Just looking at his size and speed and that he did not play in a D that was going to get him a lot of sacks at Michigan should say a lot.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nobody had him that high; a lot of people were wrong. Just looking at his size and speed and that he did not play in a D that was going to get him a lot of sacks at Michigan should say a lot.
Yup

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts