Packers Stock Sale

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I own shares. Other members of my family own shares. I'm a Charter Member of the Packer Hall of Fame, in support of it's being started, from scratch. I have voting rights in regards to the Board of Directors, and a lifetime pass to the Hall of Fame, and certification for both. I consider these things among my proudest possessions.

I am not a "fan." I'm a "supporter" of the Green Bay Packers. Fans are just people who hang out looking for free entertainment. They'll follow someone else tomorrow if they offer free donuts.

Calling the stock issues a scam is an insult to everyone from 1919 on, who have dug into their pockets to support the team when times were tough, and to make them successful. If you can't afford to buy stock, are too tight to buy stock, or figure you'd rather spend your money on beer is your business, but above all, don't even go there telling me I was scammed, because I knew what I was doing, and I got what I wanted. The knowledge that I truly do support the Green Bay Packers.

As for "value" on stock certificates, and return on investment, tell that to the families who have found their early stock certificates have sold at auction for over $40,000. The relative stock value hasn't gone up, but the certificate itself has proven to have become a great investment. Sounds quite profitable to me, considering it was a $25 investment, and six season tickets at the cost of roughly $12 each.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then they should call it a "Fan Club" instead of misusing the word of "Owner," which is why it is a scam.
To spend all this money on a worthless piece of paper and not having any say at all in how to run the team and no really good perks.

I do give them kudos for raising money this way, as a donation which the fans are all too happy to give instead of for more worthwhile causes, instead of fleecing tax payers
I like the idea of using funds to upgrade but in tough times as these I would use the money to offset rising inflation costs and keep ticket prices from going up. Think of the fans pocketbook for a change. We would love to upgrade our older homes but when the family is trying to stay afloat we forego that in order to sustain and survive.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
use the money to offset rising inflation costs and keep ticket prices from going up.
This is the NFL, they too "feel" that inflation, with their top players now costing them close to $50,000,000 per year to employ for 6 or so months a year. Those poor NFL team owners felt a real pinch in the last few years and an Owner like Jerry Jones saw his normal profit of around $425M drop to $280 M in the pandemic year.

Basic Supply and Demand economics are in play in Green Bay. The Packers don't care about Joe Fan, since if they raised ticket prices $40/game, Joe fan might decide to opt out, but there are 40,000 other John fans that would gladly pay the increase. Probably the only thing that the Packers keep a close eye on are what other teams are charging, they would want to look like they are gauging their fans now would they? The Packers will continue to charge fans as much as they can, because.....they can.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s nothing scam about it, people know exactly what they’re getting into. IMO, it’s no different than buying an NFL authentic jersey for 200 bucks. Like people are going to believe you played for the Packers. What’s the point, it’s a shirt. Lol

People like to support their team in different ways. Big deal

And the city of GB would have been Beloit from the 70’s a long time ago without Lambeau field providing a lot of cash and opportunity to the people of GB. It’s brought in far more than it’s required so far and it’s not even close.
Do they really though?
This makes them think they are an "owner of the team" when by definition they really are not.
An owner of any other sports team has a say about what he or she wants and can do the hiring and firing.
Or they at least profit off of ticket sales and merch.
A Packers "owner" doesn't get to do any of that or make a penny off of any profits.
What their money gets them is a fancy looking piece of paper for their donation.
It also should not be called "stock" since stock can be bought and sold as a profit for the owner.
They are misusing words to fool the fans.
Pride costs nothing.

Interesting that out of all the small Wisconsin towns you bring up the town of Beloit as an example for comparison since I used to live there!
I suppose you are right.
Without the Packers Green Bay would not be on the map.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of using funds to upgrade but in tough times as these I would use the money to offset rising inflation costs and keep ticket prices from going up. Think of the fans pocketbook for a change. We would love to upgrade our older homes but when the family is trying to stay afloat we forego that in order to sustain and survive.
They will all too happily fork over $200+ for this piece of paper and then turn around and gripe about rising gas prices.
I spend that money on more worthwhile investments. Like groceries, rent etc.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL, they too "feel" that inflation, with their top players now costing them close to $50,000,000 per year to employ for 6 or so months a year. Those poor NFL team owners felt a real pinch in the last few years and an Owner like Jerry Jones saw his normal profit of around $425M drop to $280 M in the pandemic year.

Basic Supply and Demand economics are in play in Green Bay. The Packers don't care about Joe Fan, since if they raised ticket prices $40/game, Joe fan might decide to opt out, but there are 40,000 other John fans that would gladly pay the increase. Probably the only thing that the Packers keep a close eye on are what other teams are charging, they would want to look like they are gauging their fans now would they? The Packers will continue to charge fans as much as they can, because.....they can.
I know that there is something about the stadium experience and seeing games in person is better and Lambeu is the best blah blah...
But I really don't feel like it is worth it for a thrifty guy like me to spend all that money when I watch it at home and don't have to deal with the costs, crowds, and cold.
Seeing live pro football games is not for everybody.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they could do is have a sliding scale for the amounts one gives.
$75 gets you a wallet size paper and now you are with the "Inner Circle."
$100 You get a bigger piece of paper calling you an "Honorary Sideline."
$150 8 x 12 sheet you are now part of the "Honor Team Member."
etc etc.
Anything but "Owner" because one really is not.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I own shares. Other members of my family own shares. I'm a Charter Member of the Packer Hall of Fame, in support of it's being started, from scratch. I have voting rights in regards to the Board of Directors, and a lifetime pass to the Hall of Fame, and certification for both. I consider these things among my proudest possessions.

I am not a "fan." I'm a "supporter" of the Green Bay Packers. Fans are just people who hang out looking for free entertainment. They'll follow someone else tomorrow if they offer free donuts.

Calling the stock issues a scam is an insult to everyone from 1919 on, who have dug into their pockets to support the team when times were tough, and to make them successful. If you can't afford to buy stock, are too tight to buy stock, or figure you'd rather spend your money on beer is your business, but above all, don't even go there telling me I was scammed, because I knew what I was doing, and I got what I wanted. The knowledge that I truly do support the Green Bay Packers.

As for "value" on stock certificates, and return on investment, tell that to the families who have found their early stock certificates have sold at auction for over $40,000. The relative stock value hasn't gone up, but the certificate itself has proven to have become a great investment. Sounds quite profitable to me, considering it was a $25 investment, and six season tickets at the cost of roughly $12 each.
I will agree that it is not a scam when it is agreed that this is not stock or shares and those who buy them are no longer considered as owners.
If the organization along with their fans can stretch or change the definitions of those words of stock, shares and owners then so can those who think of it as a scam.

I'm a fan who disagrees with the way they do this and the words they use.
It is really just a donation.
Now if they called it that instead, would as many fans still donate?
I doubt it.
"We want you to give $200 towards a new scoreboard. Will you give?"
"Let me think about it."
"We will make you think you are an owner and give you a piece of paper for it."
"Hang on. Let me find my checkbook. I was going to give to the Red Cross but this is more important."
Instead they are fooled into donating to make them think they somehow are more so a part of something when they really are not.
Therefore it is a scam.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to belabor a point, but we are shareholders, and we do hold valid voting rights for members of the BOD. The only thing that differs from what some want to call "owning stock," is the question of dividends. There are none with the Packers, but that's also the case on some issues traded on Wall Street.

To anyone who claims it isn't ownership, or stock, I suggest they read this entire statement from the Packers. I'm aware it won't change minds, because people have mindsets, but it will explain how it is a legitimate stock offer.

As for their issuance of stock at different times, this is done quite often on the stock market, where there will be new stock issued to advance certain goals of the company in question. It's no different than what the Packers do, to sink the money into advancements.

Packer Shareholders

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will agree that it is not a scam when it is agreed that this is not stock or shares and those who buy them are no longer considered as owners.
If the organization along with their fans can stretch or change the definitions of those words of stock, shares and owners then so can those who think of it as a scam.

I'm a fan who disagrees with the way they do this and the words they use.
It is really just a donation.
Now if they called it that instead, would as many fans still donate?
I doubt it.
"We want you to give $200 towards a new scoreboard. Will you give?"
"Let me think about it."
"We will make you think you are an owner and give you a piece of paper for it."
"Hang on. Let me find my checkbook. I was going to give to the Red Cross but this is more important."
Instead they are fooled into donating to make them think they somehow are more so a part of something when they really are not.
Therefore it is a scam.
You make it sound like everyone doing it is an idiot. I don't think anyone is "scammed" into thinking they are owners. You'd have to be a fool to fork out $350 thinking that you owned the team. There are only a few of those people left, all frequent-posters on this forum... Anyone buying the stock knows exactly what they are and are not getting, so you can throw that theory of yours out the window. It is wrong.

I donate to all kinds of causes and to the stock sales. It's not an either/or proposition as you've made it sound. I bet that you've thrown money away on a car, when you could have instead used that money to donate to the Red Cross. We all make unnecessary financial decisions. It's the beauty of living in America. We can do virtually whatever we want with our money.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make it sound like everyone doing it is an idiot. I don't think anyone is "scammed" into thinking they are owners. You'd have to be a fool to fork out $350 thinking that you owned the team. There are only a few of those people left, all frequent-posters on this forum... Anyone buying the stock knows exactly what they are and are not getting, so you can throw that theory of yours out the window. It is wrong.

I donate to all kinds of causes and to the stock sales. It's not an either/or proposition as you've made it sound. I bet that you've thrown money away on a car, when you could have instead used that money to donate to the Red Cross. We all make unnecessary financial decisions. It's the beauty of living in America. We can do virtually whatever we want with our money.

There's a huge difference between supporting the Green Bay Packers, and being a Packer fan. For those of us who really care, buying stock, and doing what we can to further the team, is part of that support.

If someone doesn't want to support the team, that's fine. They can claim to be fans. But, be careful what buttons you push, because we could easily call those that don't, "freeloaders."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's a huge difference between supporting the Green Bay Packers, and being a Packer fan. For those of us who really care, buying stock, and doing what we can to further the team, is part of that support.

If someone doesn't want to support the team, that's fine. They can claim to be fans. But, be careful what buttons you push, because we could easily call those that don't, "freeloaders."
While I agree with a lot of what you said in prior posts, I don't think buying one share of stock in the Green Bay Packers automatically vaults that person into a category above other Packer fans. There are all sorts of ways to support the Green Bay Packers, from watching them on TV, going to practices, games, events, as well as buying their merchandise.

A friend's wife bought him one of the shares, she never watches football, so I would hardly call her purchase one that transcended her into being an ultimate Packer supporter. He is a casual fan, has never been to a game, but thought the gift was cool. Again, owning the stock certificate didn't elevate him to super fan (in my eyes).

I think its cool that people buy a stock share, that tells them that they are an owner and in the process helps the team to buy more land, add on to the stadium, etc. Wasn't something I chose to do for a few reasons. But I will continue to go to games and support them in that way.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that differs from what some want to call "owning stock," is the question of dividends. There are none with the Packers, but that's also the case on some issues traded on Wall Street.
well, first of all, the vast majority of "real stocks" do not pay dividends.

but more importantly, dividends are not the only thing that differs from what some want to call "owning stock".

the biggest difference is that owners of real stocks have the right to sell and/or transfer ownership of their shares on the open market. this is not allowed for "owners" of packers stock.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with a lot of what you said in prior posts, I don't think buying one share of stock in the Green Bay Packers automatically vaults that person into a category above other Packer fans. There are all sorts of ways to support the Green Bay Packers, from watching them on TV, going to practices, games, events, as well as buying their merchandise.

I agree. If you read what I said, I never once condoned it. I just stated that it was an option, not unlike the option of telling us we were scammed. It doesn't get to play one way only. It can play both ways.

By the way. I don't believe that makes them lesser fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
By the way. I don't believe that makes them lesser fans.

The paragraph below kind of makes it sound like you do and are separating yourself and other stock owners, from non-stock owners.

Again, I would never ridicule a person for buying stock or not buying stock, but I also don't believe that either choice makes you a greater or lesser fan of the Green Bay Packers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The paragraph below kind of makes it sound like you do and are separating yourself and other stock owners, from non-stock owners.

Again, I would never ridicule a person for buying stock or not buying stock, but I also don't believe that either choice makes you a greater or lesser fan of the Green Bay Packers.
You might read it again. I simply stated a person could have that belief. Not once did I indicate it was my belief. Do not put words in my mouth. If you took that to mean something else, that's because you've chosen to do so, not because it was stated.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You might read it again. I simply stated a person could have that belief. Not once did I indicate it was my belief.
Then in the statement below, you might want to remove "we" and replace it with "some stock holders" or "while I don't feel this way, some might." Afterall, "I" is included in "we".

WNY PackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers Inc. is a nonprofit corporation like the YMCA, the American Heart Association or the United Way. Being a shareholder or “owner” of a nonprofit is not meant to provide income or profit to the individual the way a for profit corporation such as Apple or Amazon does.

Shareholders of both types of corporations get to vote on who runs the day-to-day operations and on some limited ownership issues within their organization and they get to attend an annual meeting. Shareholders don’t get free Apple phones, nor can a shareholder go down to the bench to coach the players.

Green Bay Packers Inc. emphasizes the nonprofit nature of their company in their prospectus. The two types of corporations have different goals. Green Bay Packer Inc. is meant to provide a football team for the community of Green Bay. In that way they have been a successful corporation for close to a hundred years.

The NFL owners grandfathered the Packers ownership structure into the league and does not allow it to happen anymore. Why is that?

The fact that the community and not some billionaire owns the Pack is one of the things that makes Green Bay special and a big part of the reason I root for them.

As a person who buys a share of stock in Apple or Amazon can say they are an owner, so can the person who owns a share in Green Bay Packers Inc.

I bought a share so me and the grandkids can root for “our” team and I hope someday they can root with their grandkids for the Pack. To me it’s money well spent.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then in the statement below, you might want to remove "we" and replace it with "some stock holders" or "while I don't feel this way, some might." Afterall, "I" is included in "we".

No. What I said was quite clear. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers Inc. is a nonprofit corporation like the YMCA, the American Heart Association or the United Way. Being a shareholder or “owner” of a nonprofit is not meant to provide income or profit to the individual the way a for profit corporation such as Apple or Amazon does.
especially since it is impossible to buy shares of those nonprofit organizations. they do not exist. some local chapters of ymca do sell "shares" i guess. but the only one that i could find that disclosed shareholder information was not selling shares in the ymca, but in a holding company. please show me where i can buy shares in united way or the american heart association.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that the YMCA is actually a 501C(3)? A club? They can sell memberships, which isn't the same as owning a piece of the organization. It's access.

The only connection I could see where a corporation could be involved is if a corporation owned the facility the YMCA was in, and that would be a different entity?

Just my opinion, but what the hell would I know? I was conned into buying Packer stock.... from what I hear.

EDIT: For the record, a club is a corporation as well. It's just not a for profit corporation. I spent quite a bit of time two years ago actually guiding our club down here in Texas into a 501 operation. It was a headache. The rules can be stifling.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can understand a lifetime fan like yourself buying the stock as a keepsake or a treasured memento. i was tempted to do the same but with the life i am living right now it just wasn't an option. worst retirement ever.
I bet a share of stock is just the thing to cheer you up :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this, but since we are talking about people buying NFL items. This is pretty damn funny. I wonder how much that ball is worth now that Brady unretired? Ouch on the $518K investment.

Members online

Latest posts