Packers sign LB Derrick Mathews

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Nick Barnett used to make a lot of tackles, too.
Unfortunately, most of them were 5 plus yards past the line of scrimmage.

A.J. Hawk did that a lot in the latter stages of his career as well.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan will be our best Linebacker this season. From the sample size of last season its not an over reaction to predict 100+tackles and becoming our leader in the middle.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For you, maybe. Most of us would like to see just a tiny bit more before annointing our best linebacker.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So who would you say is our most poised to lead the pack then?

It's possible that either one of Barrington, Ryan and Martinez end up being the Packers best inside linebacker this season. Once again there's a lot if uncertainty because none of them
is proven.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible that either one of Barrington, Ryan and Martinez end up being the Packers best inside linebacker this season. Once again there's a lot if uncertainty because none of them
is proven.
In my opinion Jake Ryan showed his ability to lead the pack last year vs Carolina and vs Detroit were he racked up double digits in tackles both games. Thats just my opinion though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion Jake Ryan showed his ability to lead the pack last year vs Carolina and vs Detroit were he racked up double digits in tackles both games. Thats just my opinion though.

I think you're putting way too much stock in the total amount of tackles.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a big statistic!!! Especially for a ILB. He showed he can do his job and tackle the ball carrier. Did he make mistakes, yes. But thats again expected from a rookie.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Its a big statistic!!! Especially for a ILB. He showed he can do his job and tackle the ball carrier. Did he make mistakes, yes. But thats again expected from a rookie.

The total amount of tackles doesn't indicate anything about the quality of a player's tackles though. It's possible for a defender to amass a huge amount of tackles but most of them happening several yards after the initial contact. See Hawk over the last few seasons with the Packers as a prime example.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you remember him dragging tacklers down more than contact at the line or at least stopping forward proggress? I seem to remember him doing fine as a rookie.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Do you remember him dragging tacklers down more than contact at the line or at least stopping forward proggress? I seem to remember him doing fine as a rookie.

Ryan missed too many tackles, had troubles shedding blocks and was a step slow at times. Overall I think he did a decent job for a rookie fourth rounder and hopefully makes another jump in his second season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts