Packers sign LB Derrick Mathews

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The Green Bay Packers signed LB Derrick Mathews.

Mathews (6 feet, 232 pounds), a first-year player out of the University of Houston, was originally signed to the Washington Redskins’ practice squad on Nov. 23, 2015. He was released by Washington on Jan. 5, 2016, before being re-signed by the Redskins on Jan. 14 and then released on May 2. Mathews finished his collegiate career ranked fifth in UH history with 400 career tackles.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see that the Packers worked out Mathews before Washington signed him last November. Looks like Sam Barrington may be done with football.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I see that the Packers worked out Mathews before Washington signed him last November. Looks like Sam Barrington may be done with football.

I don't consider the Packers signing another linebacker to fill out the 90 man roster as a sign that Barrington is done.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be the biggest leap in logic yet this preseason. Likely it means that they need more camp bodies. If Mathews is TT's answer for taking Barrington's place, then I will jump on the fire TT bandwagon. I'm pretty confident that is not the case.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe none of the current crop in camp is showing well enough to be considered for a roster spot.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally i think Lattimore was a better ILB than Bradford or others on the roster. Does it matter haha your funny Ace.

We've got much bigger problems if we're dredging up Jamari Lattimore to help at ILB over what we've currently got.

H

HardRightEdge

We have problems if 1 of our ILB goes down.
If you listened to the fans and press 1/3 of the way into last season, little good was being said about Ryan. I wasn't one of them, but that's neither here nor there. He needs to continue to progress on the track he was on late last season. If he's topped out, I don't think the outcome will be a happy event. He's a player about whom I remain optimistic, but he's hardly a lock as a solid fixture in the middle.

Martinez is entirely unproven. I question his instincts and physicality in the run game even if it would be hard for him not to be an upgrade in coverage over a guy like Thomas, or just Bradford in general.

So, I'm not convinced all will be fine even if none of the ILBs go down.

I believe Thompson made a mistake in not drafting Reggie Ragland in the first round. Or perhaps more rightly the medical staff made a mistake if the enlarged aorta turns out to be nothing as appears to be the case.

I'm surprised they have not tried McCray at the position. By all accounts he likes to hit people and as a 4-3 OLB he would have had some experience in coverage which falls to the ILBs in the 3-4.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you listened to the fans and press 1/3 of the way into last season, little good was being said about Ryan. I wasn't one of them, but that's neither here nor there. He needs to continue to progress on the track he was on late last season. If he's topped out, I don't think the outcome will be a happy event. He's a player about whom I remain optimistic, but he's hardly a lock as a solid fixture in the middle.

Martinez is entirely unproven. I question his instincts and physicality in the run game even if it would be hard for him not to be an upgrade in coverage over a guy like Thomas, or just Bradford in general.

So, I'm not convinced all will be fine even if none of the ILBs go down.

I believe Thompson made a mistake in not drafting Reggie Ragland in the first round. Or perhaps more rightly the medical staff made a mistake if the enlarged aorta turns out to be nothing as appears to be the case.

I'm surprised they have not tried McCray at the position. By all accounts he likes to hit people and as a 4-3 OLB he would have had some experience in coverage which falls to the ILBs in the 3-4.
Thats my point. No one is proven capable to man the middle besides Ryan, Barrington and Matthews. Joe Thomas is not a viable option. Bradford is a waste of time. And who knows about Martinez? I have high hopes for him being a playmaker, but whe will have to see how he performs in preseason.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only question I have about Martinez is how will he hold up in the physical part of the game?
Exactly. The preseason will give us a glimpse of that. I believe Martinez can be a Kiko Alonso type backer. I know Alonso has health issues but hes a valuable LB who can play pass coverage stop the run and rush the QB. Hopefully Martinez can do the same for our Defense.

H

HardRightEdge

Thats my point. No one is proven capable to man the middle besides Ryan, Barrington and Matthews. Joe Thomas is not a viable option. Bradford is a waste of time. And who knows about Martinez? I have high hopes for him being a playmaker, but whe will have to see how he performs in preseason.
I wouldn't put Matthews in a group of reliable ILBs. Other than rushing the passer from that spot, which we might see at times if Perry makes the "5th. year jump" :confused:, I wouldn't consider him even an average NFL ILB.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will they try Fackrell at ILB since they have so much talent at OLB? That would be interesting, he has the athletic ability! Eager to see him on the field this preseason.

H

HardRightEdge

Will they try Fackrell at ILB since they have so much talent at OLB? That would be interesting, he has the athletic ability! Eager to see him on the field this preseason.
I highly doubt it. With so many OLBs being free agents after this season (Peppers, Perry, Elliott who is restricted and McCray), it's evident they drafted him as an edge rusher for 2017. That's the position he needs to focus on.

He also doesn't quite look the part for ILB, rangy and needing to put on some pounds. This will likely be a red shirt year, barring injuries pressing him into service. If he makes the game day rosters it will need to be on the strength of special teams play. Even then, 7 OLBs is a lot on game day, with Elliott having been a core special teamer and McCray having special team bona fides according to Zook.

Matthews, Peppers, Perry, Datone Jones, Elliott, McCray. Not much room for Fackrell in 2016. Maybe if they cut Jones. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

For what it's worth, McCray has two NFL seasons under his belt, plus a rookie year on IR. He took about 11% of Denver's defensive snaps in both 2014 and 2015, and by all accounts comported himself adequately. 2015 was in Wade Phllips' 3-4 hybrid defense.

I don't think the Packers saw McCray as a special teams player exclusively, a la Banjo, when they signed him. It would seem the thinking was worst case he'd play ST this season, best case he'd show enough to fill out a depleted OLB depth chart in 2017. Those are the kind of hedged bets that would be in line with an $800,000 one year deal.

Of course something is wrong with the world when $800,000 can be regarded as a nominal annual salary, but it is what it is. He carries the 27th. highest Packer cap number for this season, with no strings attached after this one year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Is Jamari Lattimore currently on any roster?

Lattimore is currently on the Bills roster. It doesn't matter though as he wouldn't be an upgrade over the players making the final roster.

We have problems if 1 of our ILB goes down.

As HRE already pointed out I'm not convinced the Packers will be fine at the position even if the top three on the depth chart stay healthy all season. Barrington still not being able to practice is a huge concern.

I believe Thompson made a mistake in not drafting Reggie Ragland in the first round.

I think that the Packers passing on Myles Jack was even a bigger mistake.

Thats my point. No one is proven capable to man the middle besides Ryan, Barrington and Matthews.

I don't consider Barrington or Ryan to be proven either. Matthews is average at the position at best.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lattimore is currently on the Bills roster. It doesn't matter though as he wouldn't be an upgrade over the players making the final roster.

As HRE already pointed out I'm not convinced the Packers will be fine at the position even if the top three on the depth chart stay healthy all season. Barrington still not being able to practice is a huge concern.

I think that the Packers passing on Myles Jack was even a bigger mistake.

I don't consider Barrington or Ryan to be proven either. Matthews is average at the position at best.
Well you may not consider Ryan proven. But you will when he has 100+ tackles this season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well you may not consider Ryan proven. But you will when he has 100+ tackles this season.

Being proven is about performance in the past and not about potential. Ryan isn't proven as he has played a total of only 260 defensive snaps in his career so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Barnett used to make a lot of tackles, too.
Unfortunately, most of them were 5 plus yards past the line of scrimmage.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts