Packers Sign free agent OL Todd Williams (Buccaneers).

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers have signed free agent OL Todd Williams (Buccaneers) to an undisclosed contract. He will wear No. 53.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
Mike Vandermause, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers have signed free agent OL Todd Williams (Buccaneers) to an undisclosed contract. He will wear No. 53.

Some people think bringing in guys to try and beat out other players is "plain stupid" because compition is a bad thing. Man some people are talking like they took stupid pills today or something

I'm guessing some people think that bringing in guys that have absolutely no chance of beating out other players on the roster is plain stupid. This guy hasn't played much in two years and has been outright released by every team he's ever been on. I'm guessing he isn't going to break the starting lineup here unless we have A LOT of injuries.

Like I've said before the only reason guys like Williams and Peko are brought in is because they meet TT's main requirement for OL, they sign for cheap. If they make the roster and ever actually have to play we're in a world of hurt.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we can always cut him maybe he may be another gado like player but i doubt it but theres always hope.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, hell! At least TT is trying to find guys who can fill in in an emergency. What disturbs me the most is that our OL is so iffy that our GM is forced to go after guys like this. That is scary. I want to see a running attack this year and I'm not at all confident I'm going to see it. Our passing attack also looks to be iffy. The D can't do it all.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
0 Career games started, great pickup Teddy

How many games did Brett start before we traded a 1st rd pick for him? How many games did Samkon start before we picked up off the street?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the haters realize that if these guys make the team, they make the minimum, and if they don't, we're only out a couple thousand? I'm glad to see that TT is bringing guys in for competition. We don't need to make big time trades for mediocre players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
kmac said:
Do the haters realize that if these guys make the team, they make the minimum, and if they don't, we're only out a couple thousand? I'm glad to see that TT is bringing guys in for competition. We don't need to make big time trades for mediocre players.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here.
  • Out a couple thousand? Well damn add that up! We sign 294 chumps thats a lot of 'couple thousands' and then we won't be able to resign our star players jus like what happened with Wahle and Rivera.

Time to step out of tromsyndrome and back into reality.

The more competition the better. That's the bottom line. Even haters have to agree. Deep down they do, but they need something to argue about so here we go with more hating posts.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reactions to these signings are showing just how much the NFL has changed from being a league where the players make names for themselves by coming onto a team and playing well and earning the respect of their peers. Now it is a game of name recognition. If you have the name then you will get so many chances to prove yourselves. Back in the day, if a player couldn't play well he was cut based on that. Now if a player that used to be good, or was a first round draft pick, that player will get way more chances than somebody that was drafted in the 7th round, even if the 7th rounder showed more. I've been reading Instant Replay and Lombardi had the balls to put a high round draft pick with a huge contract and a no cut clause on the taxi squad because the guy couldn't play well enough to make the normal roster. You would never see such a thing these days. Players are judged first on their name recognition and secondly on their football skills. Why else did Donnel Washington last two years on the Packers and suck and still get signed by the Raiders? I'm sure there have been plenty of late round picks or undrafted free agents that could play better than him if given the chance, but that isn't how the game works anymore.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

shhhh, common sense gets people riled up here.

oline was one of our biggest weaknesses last year, and the powers that be are trying to fix it, bring people in,etc and....it gets bashed. i must be in topsy turvy world.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
kmac said:

I'm gonna play devils advocate here.
  • Out a couple thousand? Well damn add that up! We sign 294 chumps thats a lot of 'couple thousands' and then we won't be able to resign our star players jus like what happened with Wahle and Rivera.

Time to step out of tromsyndrome and back into reality.

The more competition the better. That's the bottom line. Even haters have to agree. Deep down they do, but they need something to argue about so here we go with more hating posts.

Well I know your just playing around but that wouldn't be true. Pending the deals, the contracts could only count against our cap for one year. So bringing in a guy on a 1 year deal to add another body to one of the hardest positions in football. What's so bad about that? Seriously what other options are there? :D

These reactions (not u Z) are uncalled for right now.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

How many games did Brett start before we traded a 1st rd pick for him? How many games did Samkon start before we picked up off the street?
Brett Favre was a 2nd round pick. Todd was a 7th. As for Mr. Gado, well he migt have just gotten lucky last year, and that may be the best year of is career

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

Brett Favre was a 2nd round pick. Todd was a 7th. As for Mr. Gado, well he migt have just gotten lucky last year, and that may be the best year of is career

You didn't mention their draft order before so why do it now? You mentioned games started, not draft position. However you can go that route and I'll add Koonce to the mix. He was undrafted. I'm sure if I did some research I would find more.

Last year could have been (H)is best year, speaking of Gado.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? Think the major concern here is that the coaches and GM are not satisfied with what they are seeing, so far with the OL. That should send up some red flags for the coming season. The additions also limit the snaps each player will get in practice making it rather difficult to get an OL in synch. The only other scenario is that GB has changed its OL system and some of these players may fit better here then where they came from. Either way lets hope MM and TT have the smarts to come up with a viable OL that will be able to protect the "Man" and open a few holes for the RBs.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say if Gado was able to run behind that line for as many yards as he did luck was not a factor.
One good game maybe being lucky could be argued but when a guy goes out there over several games and does what he did when running yards were not easy to come by he deserves credit for what he did.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I would say if Gado was able to run behind that line for as many yards as he did luck was not a factor.
One good game maybe being lucky could be argued but when a guy goes out there over several games and does what he did when running yards were not easy to come by he deserves credit for what he did.

Very well put.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

Gado did OK....he averaged 4.1 yards/carry which is about a half yard less a carry compared to Ahman's Green's recent numbers. It WAS behind an inferior line but he didn't really "light it up" like most Packer fans tend to believe. Hopefully he continues to improve but the book is still out on him. He MIGHT NOT even make the team this year.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

You didn't mention their draft order before so why do it now? You mentioned games started, not draft position. However you can go that route and I'll add Koonce to the mix. He was undrafted. I'm sure if I did some research I would find more.

Last year could have been (H)is best year, speaking of Gado.

All I'm saying is this guys chances for making any time of meaningful impact are slim to none. You point out that yes there are a few late round picks and people that hav come out of nowhere but the fact is there is a helluva a lot more of those type of players that never did ****

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
All I'm saying is this guys chances for making any time of meaningful impact are slim to none. You point out that yes there are a few late round picks and people that hav come out of nowhere but the fact is there is a helluva a lot more of those type of players that never did ****

So because more times than not its a lost cause we shouldn't even try at all is what you're saying? Sorry, I disagree with that. The more competition the better.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
thetombradyhater said:

So because more times than not its a lost cause we shouldn't even try at all is what you're saying? Sorry, I disagree with that. The more competition the better.

I never said Ted Thompson shouldn't have signed him I sarcastically said great signing as if to say he will probably do nothing, not why are you waisting our cap room on this guy

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hater is right. This is pretty much another TT non story. I don't disagree with it, but there is no reason to waste time talking about it. Maybe the next time we sign some no name that didn't pan out with another team we can just recognize it as a shot in the dark and move on.

Members online

Latest posts