Packers sign a rookie TE Joe Werner

Reaction score
Packers sign ex-basketball star Werner
The Packers have signed Chippewa Falls native Joe Werner and placed backup punter David Lonie on injured reserve.

Werner, a two-time Division III all-America basketball player at UW-La Crosse, hasn't played football since high school at Chippewa Falls McDonell. But he impressed Packers coaches with his athleticism while working out as a tight end at the team's rookie minicamp in May. He's 6-foot-6 and 252 pounds.

The Packers needed a tight end after Tory Humphrey broke a bone in his lower leg in Saturday's opening training camp practice. It's unclear whether he'll return this season.

Lonie was on crutches and had his injured left ankle in a cast this morning. He did not punt in training camp.

Werner was one of four tight ends who worked out today. The others were: former Tampa Bay Buccaneer T.J. Williams, Ryan Jones and Nate Lowry.

Source

A TE was expected to be signed, and who knows, he may just develop into something useful. Nice size, and he is athletic. Good project player.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By last reports we only had around $15 million in available cap space. I wonder how we fit him in?

God I know...maybe we can put some escalator clauses in there because it's gonna cost the Packers some coin for this guy, that's for sure.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
By last reports we only had around $15 million in available cap space. I wonder how we fit him in?

God I know...maybe we can put some escalator clauses in there because it's gonna cost the Packers some coin for this guy, that's for sure.

That,..... was good! Thanks for helping me keep a sense of humor ND.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is a major project for the Packers to undertake, if he survives 2 seasons on PS then he'd be doing well. By all accounts hes tremendously athletic and hes local, so why not.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Humphrey is pretty much already on IR, might as well get another TE in there with Alcorn and Harris to battle for that 3rd stringers job.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i presume TT will bring in another punter for competition also. any semi decent ones in FA people know of?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing but a camp body/project at this point. The NFL is littered with former bball players that tried to convert to TE and failed.

I will be happy to see him do well, but I think even to mention of Antonio Gates when talking about this guy is far too premature.

GO PACK GO!!!

Staff online

Latest posts